"a" a novel

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
simonm
Head held high

"a" a novel

Post by simonm » 10 Apr 2021 22:31

i was thinking about this recently - i tried to read it 30+ yrs ago and gave up quickly, now after all this time, I'm curious again. Is it as unreadable as I remember? Is there any VU related stuff in it?

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: "a" a novel

Post by iaredatsun » 13 Apr 2021 00:18

Another unreadable book on my shelf I intend to read in full one day. I've enjoyed the parts I have read. The typing/transcript itself is entertaining. Billy Name had the sense to make sure the mistakes were not corrected. Here's what I know from dipping in....

As we know the book is supposedly 24 hours in the life of Ondine recorded to tape. Lou appears later in the book – chapter 23/1 as 'L'. There's a bit where he says that Ondine is going to be performing a song on the next album. The Velvets are mentioned for a gig at the Gymnasium they didn't get paid for. Talk about drugs.( Lou – 'I got some Desoxin'. Ondine mentions Nembutol, amphetamine, poppers.) Mention of the Velvets at ... 'Cheetah'. Reed mentions 'John and Crux' are downstairs. He then mentions 'Crux and Nee Co'. [Who is 'Crux'?]. Barbara (Rubin) is mentioned by Ondine. Lou says after something Ondine said, 'That's a good song title', Ondine – 'What?' Lou – 'Swords Don't Get Soft'.

Other characters in the same chapter are D (Drella), G (Gerard), P (Paul).
underground, overground

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 14 Apr 2021 23:39

thanks
I think if i did get it, it would just sit there. Maybe I'll leave it for a few more years.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 15 Apr 2021 01:51

What info suggests that D = Warhol? I've always he thought he was the A of the title.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 15 Apr 2021 20:12

Sheila Klein wrote:
15 Apr 2021 01:51
What info suggests that D = Warhol? I've always he thought he was the A of the title.
Some chapters start with the full names of the people in the section. DRELLA is used, which then becomes D in the rest of the conversation. I've seen this at least twice in the book.

I have never considered the 'a' in the title to mean Andy and, unlike the A in 'From A to B and Back Again', have never read that explanation for the 'a' in 'a, a novel'. I've always thought of it as 'a', the grammatical determiner. It is also a lower-case 'a'.

As an aside, Andy Warhol orginally wanted to call the book 'Cock'.
underground, overground