Maureen Tucker Documentary

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Maureen Tucker Documentary

Post by camforrester » 02 Aug 2021 01:00

Hi everyone!

Some of you may recall I posted on here a few months back with a link to my previous YouTube video tutorial “How To Play ‘Venus In Furs’”…
…after the positive response it received from fellow fans for attention to detail, I decided to go a rather large step further, and over the last couple of months have taken the time to research, compile and edit together an 55min documentary film, entitled: “Foundation Velvet: The Drumming Of Maureen ‘Moe’ Tucker”, since nobody has ever covered her vital role in any substantial depth before, and I felt it’s time somebody should!

The documentary focuses on the origins of her style of playing, and it’s development over the course of her career with the band, and has several demonstration scenes performed by myself on a drum kit which I modified in the same that she did her own drums back in the day. There is also lots of footage of her playing included, and images of her and the rest of the band through the years.
It is currently in the final stages of editing and should be completed by the end of the coming week.

I’m writing to ask whether anybody one here may be able to assist me in getting this to Moe herself; either directly or through a representative on behalf of her - out of respect I would like to invite Moe to be the first to see it, and then ask for her blessing to release it online as a non-profit production (the video will not be monetised whatsoever, especially since there is a great deal of copyrighted audio/visual material in it which I do not own - it’s purely a celebration of her legacy intended for viewers’ enjoyment an informative purposes only, and all material used is credited to the owners at the end).

I did attempt to reach out to her on Facebook a few years ago when I released my first solo album, which featured a song that was directly influenced by her style of playing (a performance of which is shown in at the end of the documentary), however since I was not connected as a friend with her, the message would not have appeared in her main inbox.

If anybody could assist in any way or offer any advice, I would really appreciate it. Also any input, or suggestions (i.e obscure information etc.) that you think would be worth adding in during my final edit this week are warmly welcomed. I’ve watched it through a few times and believe it has a good pace and feel to it, plus a wealth of information not commonly know, but I know some of you on here have been fans of the band for longer than I’ve been alive so may have some interesting bits to add!

Best regards,
Cam Forrester.

peppergomez
Head held high

Re: Maureen Tucker Documentary

Post by peppergomez » 02 Aug 2021 01:04

Nice! Look forward to seeing it.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 02 Aug 2021 10:58

Cam, have you included Moe's dislike of bootleggers in your documentary?

It's reported in The Bob magazine from 1994 which can be seen if you download the "Phase 14" pdf from this link and read your way to the foot of page 3. Sadly, the pdf is non-searchable.

https://c.mail.com/@652099718028993115/ ... UzMgDnqvjQ

The link goes to part of a file-share site I set up a couple of years ago when I scanned and uploaded all my yellowed and battered magazine & music press cuttings.

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 02 Aug 2021 17:38

Thanks peppergomez; I’m so excited to get it released…I’m going to try and reach out to Moe first though…fingers crossed!

And I shall make a note of that threechordwonder; wasn’t aware of it. So typical of their luck with album release delays though!

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 09 Aug 2021 21:56

camforrester wrote:
02 Aug 2021 17:38
Thanks peppergomez; I’m so excited to get it released…I’m going to try and reach out to Moe first though…fingers crossed!

And I shall make a note of that threechordwonder; wasn’t aware of it. So typical of their luck with album release delays though!
cannot wait to see. you are correct about her value being passed over. If he were here, Lou would absolutely agree.

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 10 Aug 2021 13:45

Not long now velvetfan! =D
I’m going to do my final edit tomorrow (need to make a few amendments to the voiceover; had to wait as I’ve had a cold and my voice disappeared over the weekend but on the mend now thankfully!), plus I’ll be adding some additional scenes and more rare images (massive thanks to Mr. Alfredo Garcia!).
I’m aiming to release it online this Friday at 6pm…all going well!

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 12 Aug 2021 02:59

High five and grateful applause for your efforts,, Cam!

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 13 Aug 2021 15:16

Hi everyone,
It’s my pleasure to announce that the documentary is now finished and uploaded, and can be viewed here as of now:

https://youtu.be/26Y-qPglJQ0

I really hope you all enjoy it!

I was going to wait a bit longer for a response from Moe, but from what I’ve been told she isn’t keen on responding to fan emails these days which is totally understandable given her age - although thankfully somebody had agreed to pass the message on to her in person next month at the Todd Haynes doc premiere if she does not respond before, so hopefully she will get to see it at some point.

Thanks for your support!

Cam x

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 13 Aug 2021 19:32

Outstanding job! You should be proud of this, it's fantastic. And I like your original song during the end credits, too!

Driven Insane
Hangin' 'round

Post by Driven Insane » 13 Aug 2021 20:05

Wow, this is really excellent, and very obviously what they call "a labor of love".

Congratulations on your work, Cam. Outstanding stuff !