VU Docu Film OST album announced

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Driven Insane
Hangin' 'round

Re: VU Docu Film OST album announced

Post by Driven Insane » 04 Sep 2021 16:44

iaredatsun wrote:
04 Sep 2021 14:29
DavidH wrote:
01 Sep 2021 03:52
I'll bet money that nobody even bothered to give him a call.

By the way Doug Yule is in the film according to the cast list.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7230750/fu ... t_ov_st_sm
Good news.

So there's "archive footage" of Lou and Sterl presumably telling their side of the story, which was predictable, but it's still not the same as if they had been interviewed on purpose for the project, like the others no doubt have been. The perspective is different. They also used Lennon footage for the "Anthology" project, but in the end it was McCartney who obviously got most of the onscreen time, which was not fair.

Let's wait and see how this one turns out.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 05 Sep 2021 18:11

There's "archive footage" of Lou and Sterl presumably telling their side of the story, which was predictable, but it's still not the same as if they had been interviewed on purpose for the project, like the others no doubt have been. The perspective is different. They also used Lennon footage for the "Anthology" project, but in the end it was McCartney who obviously got most of the onscreen time, which was not fair.
So until the dead can be revived -- and made to speak -- documentaries shouldn't be made?

Driven Insane
Hangin' 'round

Post by Driven Insane » 06 Sep 2021 16:42

Sheila Klein wrote:
05 Sep 2021 18:11
There's "archive footage" of Lou and Sterl presumably telling their side of the story, which was predictable, but it's still not the same as if they had been interviewed on purpose for the project, like the others no doubt have been. The perspective is different. They also used Lennon footage for the "Anthology" project, but in the end it was McCartney who obviously got most of the onscreen time, which was not fair.
So until the dead can be revived -- and made to speak -- documentaries shouldn't be made?
Oh, they can be made. But they are inevitably born flawed. The banana album was recorded 55 years ago.

urchinn
Beginning to see the light

Post by urchinn » 06 Sep 2021 20:45

So...don't try to make a documentary about a band if you can't talk to all members for that documentary?

urchinn
Beginning to see the light

Post by urchinn » 07 Sep 2021 16:25

Sorry...better a flawed documentary than no documentary! Someone better tell Ken Burns to stop making those dumb documentaries about dead presidents and old wars and things like "Jazz!" So many of the original participants are long dead, so why waste time watching those productions!

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 08 Sep 2021 03:10

urchinn wrote:
07 Sep 2021 16:25
Sorry...better a flawed documentary than no documentary! Someone better tell Ken Burns to stop making those dumb documentaries about dead presidents and old wars and things like "Jazz!" So many of the original participants are long dead, so why waste time watching those productions!
Yeah, how dare Ken Burns "document" the Civil War without talking to the people who fought in it! That isn't a documentary! It's biased FAKE NEWS!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Driven Insane
Hangin' 'round

Post by Driven Insane » 08 Sep 2021 14:31

urchinn wrote:
07 Sep 2021 16:25
Just pointing out the very obvious shortcomings.

As I said, I will watch the documentary with interest, like I did with The Beatles' "Anthology".

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 09 Sep 2021 19:34

iaredatsun wrote:
03 Sep 2021 19:41
On an embarrassing note, I seem to be the only person who did not know that the Theatre of Eternal Music track has been around for years
i've owned a c90 cassette it plus others broadcast on WKCR since Xmas 1984. Its possibly the copy i gave Cale they're using

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 11 Jan 2022 20:16

For the completest, apparently the OST is being released on vinyl on April 15.

vupilgrim

Post by vupilgrim » 19 Jan 2022 20:00

Still on the fence about ordering this on vinyl, but I might. I don't have the mono "Heroin" and it looks like this includes the longer edit of "Sweet Jane," which would be nice to have. And the Theatre of Eternal Music would be cool too.

On a related note, I've always wanted to add Nolan Strong's "The Wind" to my collection, which is on this VU soundtrack. Great song, and perhaps a small influence on "I Found a Reason"? Lou did list "The Wind" as #13 in his 100 favorite songs..
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/lou-reed-1 ... -bob-dylan
I always thought "I Found a Reason" was a little underrated. In an album with the affirmations of "Rock 'n' Roll" and "Sweet Jane," and, ironically, even of nihilism itself and the feeling of a band going nowhere (Sweet Nuthin'), Lou's homage to the older sounds of rock 'n' roll always fit well for me, and I love these lyrics: "I do believe/if you don't like things you leave/go some place you've never gone before." The song comes across as somewhat whimsical, but ultimately, I think it's pulled off with a moving sincerity.