Candy Says performance in Haynes documentary

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
another

Re: Candy Says performance in Haynes documentary

Post by another » 24 Oct 2021 17:56

Sheila Klein wrote:
16 Oct 2021 19:21
The "Candy Says" footage is from the band's performance at the Paramount Theatre in Springfield, Massachusetts, on April 17, 1970. It was shot by Steve Nelson (the show's promoter), on monochrome (B/W) and soundless videotape. But that show was also captured on audiotape, by an unknown recordist. Those results have been circulating for years, and were married to Steve's video by the documentary producers.

I have no inside knowledge on this, but I hold out a fan's hope that the full footage, with as much sound as can be matched to it, will be included as a DVD extra at some point.
Are you sure that the footage is silent? I only ask because I have a fair amount of familiarity with 1/2 inch open reel videotape, and I've never come across any footage of similar origin that didn't have sync sound (for example, this clip from a Stones show in November 1969: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73V-ECLPnw8).

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 25 Oct 2021 02:41

Steve Nelson, who shot the footage, provides some further details on it in this excellent new article:

another

Post by another » 25 Oct 2021 06:04

Thanks, that was a really nice read. He doesn't say anything about it being silent though:
Using my friend Michael Pitkow’s video gear, a primitive Sony Portapak, I shot some grainy black-and-white footage Todd was able to use, with Doug singing “Candy Says.”

another

Post by another » 27 Oct 2021 02:33

Turns out you were right, his footage is silent, as per this older thread:

viewtopic.php?t=144734

I took another crack at syncing up the footage - there's some brief clips that show up a minute or two before Doug singing in the doc but I'm not sure what part of the song they're supposed to be at, so I just put them at the end:

https://we.tl/t-dQYTXXocvM