Candy Says performance in Haynes documentary

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
leamanc
On the wild side

Candy Says performance in Haynes documentary

Post by leamanc » 16 Oct 2021 08:01

In the Todd Haynes documentary, there is footage of the band performing “Candy Says,” with Doug on vocals, and Lou playing guitar. The studio version is on the audio track, but the video looks to be from a live performance. Judging by the clothes and hairstyles, it looks to be 1970/Loaded era footage.

Where did this footage come from? Is there more of it out there somewhere?

The next-best footage I hadn’t seen before was near the end. Lou is hanging out with Andy, seems high as a kite, and takes a phone call that clearly seems to be a drug deal going down. I’d guess this was shot on videotape around ‘73 or ‘74.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Candy Says performance in Haynes documentary

Post by iaredatsun » 16 Oct 2021 08:29

Leamanc, Yes i like the lou reed video. Of course he could be just ordering a take-away :)

The live footage. Is this the new unseen footage that had been mentioned on the forum? I thought it was described as video when it was mentioned before, but i do not recall exactly what the footage looked like. I guess it’ll be in the credits.
underground, overground

leamanc
On the wild side

Post by leamanc » 16 Oct 2021 15:48

iaredatsun wrote:
16 Oct 2021 08:29
Leamanc, Yes i like the lou reed video. Of course he could be just ordering a take-away :)

The live footage. Is this the new unseen footage that had been mentioned on the forum? I thought it was described as video when it was mentioned before, but i do not recall exactly what the footage looked like. I guess it’ll be in the credits.
I’ve been away from the forum for a bit. I did figure this had been discussed previously, but didn’t find anything in a search.

I would agree that the “Candy Says” footage in question was shot on videotape.

There were earlier clips that were new to me also, including what appears to be Super 8 footage shot at Boston Tea Party and brief Factory-era clips.

All in all, I was really impressed by the documentary. Only minor complaint is that, like most bios of the band, it tends to breeze through the Yule years. It does show more respect for Doug than most though. Oh, and it’s weird how it makes it seem like Sterling quit the band before Lou did.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 16 Oct 2021 16:32

I read an interview w Haynes where he.mentioned they found footage of them.playing in '68 so I assume that is what that is.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 16 Oct 2021 17:05

I thought it was fantastic. Also, very happy to see Yule was part of it. I would have liked to have seen/heard more from him, but I get that he came in after the original lineup had broken down the wall. Even Mo said that, "...no one could replace Cale."

He should still have been inducted into the HOF w/ the rest of the band, though, considering his contributions on LP 3 + 4. But that's another thread...

I was extremely pleased with how the doc was done, from beginning to end. It wasn't a whitewash of Lou's legacy, which is always a risk.

For those who want to see the entire Cale TV segment from I've Got A Secret, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqO-xsRyTM
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 16 Oct 2021 17:44

leamanc wrote:
16 Oct 2021 08:01
In the Todd Haynes documentary, there is footage of the band performing “Candy Says,” with Doug on vocals, and Lou playing guitar. The studio version is on the audio track, but the video looks to be from a live performance. Judging by the clothes and hairstyles, it looks to be 1970/Loaded era footage.

Where did this footage come from? Is there more of it out there somewhere?

The next-best footage I hadn’t seen before was near the end. Lou is hanging out with Andy, seems high as a kite, and takes a phone call that clearly seems to be a drug deal going down. I’d guess this was shot on videotape around ‘73 or ‘74.
I havent seen the documentary but Candy Says would likely be from Steve Nelson's silent footage shot at the Paramount Theatre in 1970

There is more, apparently a near complete Heroin included

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 16 Oct 2021 17:50

nick257 wrote:
16 Oct 2021 17:44
I havent seen the documentary but Candy Says would likely be from Steve Nelson's silent footage shot at the Paramount Theatre in 1970

Yes, the credits at the end include
velvet underground video at paramount theater, springfield, shot by and courtesy of steve nelson

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 16 Oct 2021 17:51

hkmartin wrote:
16 Oct 2021 17:50
nick257 wrote:
16 Oct 2021 17:44

Yes, the credits at the end include
velvet underground video at paramount theater, springfield, shot by and courtesy of steve nelson
The rest of the footage isnt circulating unfortunately

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 16 Oct 2021 19:21

The "Candy Says" footage is from the band's performance at the Paramount Theatre in Springfield, Massachusetts, on April 17, 1970. It was shot by Steve Nelson (the show's promoter), on monochrome (B/W) and soundless videotape. But that show was also captured on audiotape, by an unknown recordist. Those results have been circulating for years, and were married to Steve's video by the documentary producers.

I have no inside knowledge on this, but I hold out a fan's hope that the full footage, with as much sound as can be matched to it, will be included as a DVD extra at some point.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 18 Oct 2021 04:10

FYI I just watched the movie again, and found there is about as much of "Pale Blue Eyes" from April 17 '70 in it as there is of "Candy Says."