Sterling Morrison Documentary

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Sterling Morrison Documentary

Post by camforrester » 29 Dec 2021 00:39

Hi all,

I hope everyone has had a great Christmas, and best wishes for the New Year!

I was wondering if any of you may be able to help...
After the success of the Moe documentary I posted earlier this year, I would like next, to create something that focuses on Sterling.
Covering Moe was quite natural and familiar to me, since she was always where my ears were focused - being a drummer primarily when I discovered the band - and her equipment/setup, and story in general was always something that fascinated me. The struggles I faced in producing the documentary were less information-based, but more in the obtaining of images and footage, and the actual editing process (my MacBook is 11-years-old and definitely on it's last legs...I had to put it in the freezer in order to successfully export the film from iMovie without it crashing!).

I am a multi-instrumentalist (including guitarist), so I've always been interested in the other members' equipment etc. too, so I have a good knowledge of that side of things with regards to Sterling, but his story in general is not so widely documented as the others it seems, and certainly is not as familiar to me as Moe's for example.

I would like to begin doing some preliminary research on him to try figure out my angle and approach, so if any of you could recommend any books or other resources that feature his background in detail, quotes, or sources of any rare photographs etc. - anything that would help - that would be great.
Also, if anyone is able to help put me in contact with Martha (or any other relations of his who would be inclined to contribute), so I can request to do an interview of some sort (whether by email or by phone etc.) to gather more information, that would be amazing.

This is literally in the pre-planning stage at the moment, and I currently have no idea of when it might get completed it (if at all!), as I don't want to put anything out that won't do the subject justice, plus I'll need to equip myself with a new laptop in the meantime! But it's always best to put the feelers out early with these things, so any input is much appreciated!

Cam x

peppergomez
Head held high

Re: Sterling Morrison Documentary

Post by peppergomez » 29 Dec 2021 05:14

Your Mo doc was fantastic so I hope you can make this one happen too. I'm rooting for you!

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 30 Dec 2021 05:14

I can't give you any help, but think this is a wonderful idea! Keep us posted.

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 02 Jan 2022 14:08

Thanks for the support guys!
I shall of course keep you posted with any progress!
In the meantime, if anybody could possibly help me get in contact with Sterling's friend Ignacio Julià, that would be fantastic!

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 17 Oct 2022 22:52

The project now has wheels people...

...I've managed to make contact with Martha Morrison, who has very kindly agreed to participate in an interview, in contribution towards my documentary project, titled simply - 'Sterling.' I've also reached out to Moe for her input and am waiting to hear back.

I'm currently preparing my questions ahead of speaking to Martha, and further contributions of relevant subjects for questions that any of you think would be worth mentioning in case I may not have thought of are welcomed; just please bare in mind that - as with my Moe documentary - the focus is on the musical beginnings/background, playing style, career, influence and legacy of the musician, not their personal life.

Let's do Sterling proud and give him the documentary he deserves guys! 8-)

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 18 Oct 2022 03:13

This sounds great and you are the right guy to do it. Looking forward to it!
I bet Jonathan Richmond will be a great guy to talk to since it sounds like Sterling gave him guitar lessons

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 18 Oct 2022 15:39

Thanks for the reminder; I actually hadn't yet thought to try and contact him - I definitely shall do!
If anyone on here could help put me in touch with him please speak up!
peppergomez wrote:
18 Oct 2022 03:13
This sounds great and you are the right guy to do it. Looking forward to it!
I bet Jonathan Richmond will be a great guy to talk to since it sounds like Sterling gave him guitar lessons

jcdenton40

Post by jcdenton40 » 29 Dec 2022 21:35

Sean Eden of Luna may be worth reaching out to. Not only did he tour with the VU on their reunion tour and perform with Sterling in the studio, but by pure coincidence he knew Sterling personally even pre-Luna, and before Sean even knew that Sterling had been a member of the VU (Sterling just happened to be friends with Sean's roommate at the time).

Kent532

Post by Kent532 » 09 Feb 2023 10:43

In an interview after a show in the mid 90's in Spain, Dean Wareham (Luna, etc.) told me that Sterling gave him his Stratocaster ... remember that they did the 93 tour together. It seems that they had a very friendly relationship that went on, with Sterling playing awesomely on a couple of songs in their second album ( Friendly advice and Great Jones St, from Bewitched). He might be a good one to talk to if available.

Also, Ignacio Julià had a good personal connection with Sterling, remember the original book 'Feedback" that he wrote based on basically a long conversation with Sterling (I believe the new Linger On is basically based on this as well. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I believe that Ignacio might actually be one of most direct and knowledgeable sources of information out there for both, band period and individual careers.

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 21 Feb 2024 15:30

Jcdenton40 and Kent532:
Sincere apologies - I'm not sure how, but I missed both of these replies!
Thanks for your suggestions - those that weren't on it already, have been added to my list of people to reach out to for contributions.

You'll be pleased to hear that significant progress has been made in the last few months; I still can't give an accurate release date yet, (the script has developed to be longer than I ever though possible; thanks to the amount of contributions and resources that I've been fortunate enough to obtain and work into it so far)...but suffice to say, the finish line is now in sight.

Keep your eyes peeled for another post in this thread!

8-)
Kent532 wrote:
09 Feb 2023 10:43
In an interview after a show in the mid 90's in Spain, Dean Wareham (Luna, etc.) told me that Sterling gave him his Stratocaster ... remember that they did the 93 tour together. It seems that they had a very friendly relationship that went on, with Sterling playing awesomely on a couple of songs in their second album ( Friendly advice and Great Jones St, from Bewitched). He might be a good one to talk to if available.

Also, Ignacio Julià had a good personal connection with Sterling, remember the original book 'Feedback" that he wrote based on basically a long conversation with Sterling (I believe the new Linger On is basically based on this as well. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I believe that Ignacio might actually be one of most direct and knowledgeable sources of information out there for both, band period and individual careers.