Jonas Mekas - Scenes from tne life of Andy Warhol

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
simonm
Head held high

Jonas Mekas - Scenes from tne life of Andy Warhol

Post by simonm » 15 Jan 2022 00:30

I mentioned this on the 2 new boorts thread. Someone has digitised the Re:Voir vhs of the film and uploaded to archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/scenes-from ... onas-mekas
well-known VU footage in it's original context, plus (separate) live audio the 1966 Dom jam aka Chic Mystique

vupilgrim

Re: Jonas Mekas - Scenes from tne life of Andy Warhol

Post by vupilgrim » 19 Jan 2022 19:08

Thanks for posting this! Hadn't watched this in years (but still have my old VHS copy). And yes, the vinyl version of the Dom on "Yesterday's Parties" is much more like this, maybe with some more bass resonance underneath it all.

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 02 Feb 2022 17:13

This is amazing audio. I thought I'd heard this version of The Nothing Song, or Chic Mystique, and had dismissed it as lo-fi nothingness, but this is the incredible holy grail VU improv kinda stuff I crave. Were there poorer quality recordings the pre-dated this?

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 03 Feb 2022 09:10

I don't know the date of Mekas' tape, but I think there's only one earlier public performance recording (apart from Factory rehearsals etc):
Heroin (4:12) / I'll Keep It Mine (3:42) / European Son (4:12) at the Andy Warhol - Up-tight event, Film-Maker's Cinematheque, New York City NY, February 6, 1966.
This was on the storied Warhol Museum 'Remembering the VU' exhibition CD aka the Warhol Tapes shared here many years ago, so is pretty well known,
Sound is rough but the version of I'll Keep It With Mine in-the-style-of IWFTM is cool!

Low
Beginning to see the light

Post by Low » 03 Feb 2022 10:02

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jonas-Mekas-S ... B0716J7W8S

It’s also availible to stream at Amazon, but I can’t watch it from my location.