What's Welsh For Zen

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: What's Welsh For Zen

Post by iaredatsun » 14 May 2022 06:59

What’s the Bonnie Tyler censored text story? I don’t know anything about that.
underground, overground

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 14 May 2022 17:55

i'm on Bonnie's side. Cale didnt play in Cardiff until 1986!

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 14 May 2022 20:04

My (signed) cardboard cover copy has the Bonnie Tyler text. I don't seem to be able to post images to this forum for some reason, but the story there is slightly different, in that it has the incident happening in Cale's apartment after returning from a European tour in 1975.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 14 May 2022 20:11

Thank-you. I have subsequently found this on a Bonnie Tyler page

https://www.geneticmatrix.com/tyler-bon ... chart.html

Cale claimed that after returning to his apartment in London after a European tour in the 1970s he found a group of women in his apartment. He wrote, "Tempers flared and I threw them all out, except one who simply would not go but returned to kick in the door." He mentioned that the woman was in a band called "Bunny", and believed that she was Bonnie Tyler, based solely on the fact that she was Welsh. However, at the time Tyler had already signed with RCA Records and was due to be releasing her second single "Lost in France" a few weeks later. Her manager also denied the claim, stating that she had never met Cale, and that she had never been in a group called "Bunny".

'believed that she was Bonnie Tyler, based solely on the fact that she was Welsh' . Hilarious.
underground, overground

Stepeanut

Post by Stepeanut » 15 May 2022 08:45

The missing text reads:
This girl was furious because I had called her a dyke, and she wasn’t, she was Bonnie Tyler. She had a band called Bunny who had a hit in the charts. Cindy had introduced me to her as somebody in the music business who was Welsh, for chrissake.
That’s it. Three sentences in total.

One would think it would be easy enough to verify the existence of a band with a chart hit, but I can’t find evidence of any band called Bunny that fits the bill. This story appears to be either a fabrication or incorrect in the pertinent details.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 16 May 2022 00:56

This story appears to be either a fabrication or incorrect in the pertinent details.
The entire book is like that. His grasp of details can be maddening, but Sterling and Lou were no better in that department.