Did Lou ever talk about sacking John?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Mark
Head held high

Did Lou ever talk about sacking John?

Post by Mark » 13 May 2022 14:21

This was obviously one of those subjects that would immediately cause Lou to pull the shutters down in interviews - "That would be a personal question and I don't answer personal questions" etc. But does anyone know of a time where he made even a small exception and gave some insight into what went down between him and John?

Obviously we know the story from many other people's point of view.

I guess it's always been interesting to me that Reed tended to be gracious when talking about Cale - no bitching about him interviews, despite how fractious things obviously got between them.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

simonm
Head held high

Re: Did Lou ever talk about sacking John?

Post by simonm » 13 May 2022 21:24

Mark wrote:
13 May 2022 14:21
..,guess it's always been interesting to me that Reed tended to be gracious when talking about Cale - no bitching about him interviews, despite how fractious things obviously got between them.
I think he probably realised it was a mistake and/or felt guilty? No evidence to support this, but he never had any qualms about bad-mouthing Doug Yule. Did he ever publicly criticise Maureen or Sterling? I haven’t read many of Lou’s interviews, but I assume not.

peppergomez
Head held high

Re: Did Lou ever talk about sacking John?

Post by peppergomez » 14 May 2022 23:58

Sterling said he thought Lou was jealous, that makes sense to me since John was in his own league as a musician, way beyond Lou's abilities. He was also more stlyish back then IMO. The combination of that and Lou wanting to be more commercial and John being more avant garde, and Lou's own contententious personality...well, combine that with lots of drugs and 2 years of zero commercial success and albums that failed to chart...it doesnt surprise me.

Apparentyl Steve Sesnick their manager was also a manipulator who played people off one another.

It's unlikely Lou would ever discuss that with journalists because he didn't like them very much.