Words and Music May 1965 - Lou Reed

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
logic
On the wild side

Re: Words and Music May 1965 - Lou Reed

Post by logic » 03 Nov 2022 18:18

Recieved my Deluxe edition today, and i noticed that the 7" b-side also has the a-side sticker. Is there someone else who does have that?

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 03 Nov 2022 19:00

MartinVU wrote:
03 Nov 2022 11:27
Got the standard vinyl version yesterday. A pit pricey but very nice packaging and pressing. They refer to NYC as "ny" which is kind of funny but besides this and the mentioned mistake with Cale & the Ostrich it all looks good.

Regarding "Put Your Money Down on the Table" it is mentioned in the liner notes that they left it off since Lou and John's harmonies were off (as in not in harmony). They say the tape has two very different sides seemingly recorded at different times. Side 1 is more formal, with "words & music by Lou Reed" etc, and side 2 more laid back, with people talking in the background etc. It doesn't say which songs are from which side, just that "put your money" and the rest of the songs from side 2 can be listened to at the library. It's also mentioned that there exist another demo version of Buttercup song where Sterling is also playing (maybe the demo that was sent to England?).

I like this album a lot more than I thought I would. Especially Buttercup song, Stockpile, Men of Good Fortune and Buzz Buzz Buzz. Most songs are kind of throw away's but still very enjoyable to listen to. I listened to the bonus 7-inch online but didn't find that very interesting though.
I find it odd that they would know Sterling is on another version of Buttercup without having heard it. Did this mean they actually have a copy of the demo tape that was taken to England?
underground, overground

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 07 Nov 2022 12:08

According to the liner notes they know because "Sterling has stated that they had recorded the song for an ealry demo tape when first shopping for a label deal. That version has yet to surface".

As far as we know there's no other demo cut for this purpose than the "England demo", right? I've always assumed (or maybe picked up from Unterberger?) that it's also the demo that Cale meant to send them for the Peel slowly box when he ended up sending them the wrong tape.. so maybe we (or our grandchildren) get to hear it someday. It's strange that it's never surfaced from other sources though, as the tape was apparantly listened to quite a bit back then, and the Deviants learned Waiting for the Man from it, but I guess this was a bit before tape trading became a thing.

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 22 Nov 2022 00:51

Just got my copy today. The packaging and booklet are really nice.
Considering how many people were involved in this project (including a proofreader), quite surprised to read that Doug Yule sang lead vocal on the studio version of Pale Blue Eyes...

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 22 Nov 2022 20:19

and yet they say he never gets any credit ;-)
falconwhit wrote:
22 Nov 2022 00:51
Just got my copy today. The packaging and booklet are really nice.
Considering how many people were involved in this project (including a proofreader), quite surprised to read that Doug Yule sang lead vocal on the studio version of Pale Blue Eyes...