Words and Music May 1965 - Lou Reed

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Re: Words and Music May 1965 - Lou Reed

Post by Wick Pick » 06 Jun 2022 14:34

It would have been cool if they could have put a whole early years set together by including all of the Pickwick material they could find, as well as that other May 11th demo tape and even the Primitive's rehearsal tape.
That leads me to wonder if the reason that 'Put Your Money On The Table' in not included on this set is due to the fact that it was a Pickwick song originally and they own the licensing?

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 06 Jun 2022 16:27

Throughout 2022 and beyond, Light in the Attic will continue to honor the music and influence of Reed through the Lou Reed Archive Series. Visit http://LouReedArchive.com to learn more, and stay tuned for forthcoming releases.
https://twitter.com/lightintheattic/sta ... 9314644992

Driven Insane
Hangin' 'round

Post by Driven Insane » 06 Jun 2022 21:29

https://loureedarchive.com/products/cop ... on-8-track

I'm so disappointed they haven't released a cylinder edition.

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 07 Jun 2022 19:29

Yet one more configuration, if anyone just wants the digital files for $10.
Unlike the CD, does not include the 6 "early Lou" bonus tracks.
https://loureed.bandcamp.com

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 07 Jun 2022 21:10

It may be a pipe dream but I'm really hoping there's substantial prime VU Cale era bootlegs or improvisations in the vaults that can be released, like say their soundtrack music for some of Warhols films. Not really interested in this folk singer thing

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 07 Jun 2022 23:12

peppergomez wrote:
07 Jun 2022 21:10
It may be a pipe dream but I'm really hoping there's substantial prime VU Cale era bootlegs or improvisations in the vaults that can be released, like say their soundtrack music for some of Warhols films. Not really interested in this folk singer thing
I've listened to (or at least sampled) almost everything from the VU era in the archives. There is cool stuff - some wondering jams (not full band), a few fragments of unreleased songs, lots of takes of "Ocean," a radio interview from when WLWH came out, random conversations. I've enjoyed it, and, if anymore of it ever gets a real release, as a fanatic, I'd happily buy it, and next time I'm in NY with time to kill, I'll go back for another listen. But if the kind of holy grail you're looking for even exists, it's not in the archives. (That said, there are a few things in the archives which, frustratingly, you cannot listen to even at the NYPL. The most interesting of these, to me, is studio sessions for the 3rd album that possibly include Cale.)

If I'm placing bets, and this is total speculation on my part, I'd say the next thing likely to get a release are the demos from 1974. They are well recorded and include an excellent, otherwise unknown (as far as I know) song.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 08 Jun 2022 04:34

Thanks for the description

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 09 Jun 2022 20:22

iaredatsun wrote:
20 May 2022 18:25
I have a related question. Olivier's site says that the version of Never Get Emotionally Involved With A Man Woman or Child which appeared on Face Book, was from the infamous thought-lost-sent-to-England demo tape. However the same song (labelled as Buttercup) is also on the May 65 copyright tape as in the NYL archive. So what makes it probable or possible that the Face Book Never Get... snippet was from that lost demo tape and not from the copyright tape. Does that quesion make sense?
I went back and listened to the old Facebook post and compared it with the sample from the copyright tape now up. It's the same recording, I'm pretty sure. Olivier was almost certainly mistaken in attributing the Facebook post to the lost England demo tape.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 10 Jun 2022 07:25

hkmartin wrote:
09 Jun 2022 20:22
iaredatsun wrote:
20 May 2022 18:25
I have a related question. Olivier's site says that the version of Never Get Emotionally Involved With A Man Woman or Child which appeared on Face Book, was from the infamous thought-lost-sent-to-England demo tape. However the same song (labelled as Buttercup) is also on the May 65 copyright tape as in the NYL archive. So what makes it probable or possible that the Face Book Never Get... snippet was from that lost demo tape and not from the copyright tape. Does that quesion make sense?
I went back and listened to the old Facebook post and compared it with the sample from the copyright tape now up. It's the same recording, I'm pretty sure. Olivier was almost certainly mistaken in attributing the Facebook post to the lost England demo tape.
Yes I thought so too. Same recording.
underground, overground