Interview with Jason Stern from Lou Reed Archives

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
hkmartin
Head held high

Interview with Jason Stern from Lou Reed Archives

Post by hkmartin » 25 Jun 2022 17:55

Jason Stern from the Lou Reed Archives was recently interviewed on Tom Sharpling's The Best Show. Interview starts about 33 minutes in and lasts about 20 minutes.
Most people here will probably be a little disappointed by the interview. A fair bit of time is spent on the story of the copyright tape we all already know. Sounds like the next release they have in the works is (yawn!) a re-release of Hudson Wind River Meditations. There's a bit about the "Electric Symphony" tape (pre-cursor to MMM) which they now think dates back to 1966. The most interesting thing to me was a very brief mention of demos for the 3rd album (which Stern says he prefers to the released version). He says you can listen to these in the listening room at the Lou exhibit currently on at the NYPL. For whatever reason, when I've gone to listen to the archives, this tape was one of the ones not available for listening.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Interview with Jason Stern from Lou Reed Archives

Post by iaredatsun » 25 Jun 2022 18:49

Thanks. One extra thing I noticed was when asked about what could be coming, he mentioned Pickwick era material.

I wonder whether UMG interests in 3rd album demos is why they are not available for direct listening. If he thinks the 3rd album demos are better than those in the released version, that is interesting and it would be fascinating to learn what date the demos are.

>He says you can listen to these [demos for the 3rd album] in the listening room at the Lou exhibit currently on at the NYPL

What's in the exhibition listening room at what time – no mention of 3rd album demos though:
https://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions/lou-reed

With regards 'Electric Symphony #1' . He also mentions a tape called 'VU1' with Cale playing piano, and with Nico talking on it. It was used as a reference to re-think the a more realistic date for Electric Symphony #1'.
underground, overground

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 26 Jun 2022 14:35

Good interview. He does say that the music at the exhibition will be rotated over the time it's on, so hopefully these fabled third album demos will be aired as it goes along.

It's interesting that he's very clear that these are different versions to what's been heard. I did wonder if he just meant early rough mixes or something, but that's not what I get from his comments. Hopefully all will be revealed in time.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 26 Jun 2022 23:42

How awesome would it be if there was a What Goes On w Cale on organ

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 26 Jun 2022 23:44

wow. Of all the audio stuff in the archive I can hardly think of anything less interesting (to me anyway)

[10:30-10:45AM
Find Your Note (Version A) (Hudson River Wind Meditations) in Stereo
10:45 - 11:49:04 AM
Metal Machine Music in Quad
11:50 AM - 12:10 PM
Find Your Note (Version B) (Hudson River Wind Meditations) in Stereo
12:10 - 1:07 PM
Electric Rock Symphony #1 in Mono
1:10 - 2:14:11 PM
Metal Machine Trio (Set 2) in Ambisonics
2:15 - 2:30 PM
Find Your Note (Version A) (Hudson River Wind Meditations) in Stereo
2:30 - 3:34:04 PM
Metal Machine Music in Quad
3:35 - 3:55 PM
Find Your Note (Version B) (Hudson River Wind Meditations) in Stereo
3:55 - 4:52 PM
Electric Rock Symphony #1 in Mono
4:55 - 5:59:11 PM
Metal Machine Trio (Set 2) in Ambisonics[/i]

iaredatsun wrote:
25 Jun 2022 18:49

>He says you can listen to these [demos for the 3rd album] in the listening room at the Lou exhibit currently on at the NYPL

What's in the exhibition listening room at what time – no mention of 3rd album demos though:
https://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions/lou-reed

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 27 Jun 2022 01:06

Mark wrote:
26 Jun 2022 14:35
Good interview. He does say that the music at the exhibition will be rotated over the time it's on, so hopefully these fabled third album demos will be aired as it goes along.

It's interesting that he's very clear that these are different versions to what's been heard. I did wonder if he just meant early rough mixes or something, but that's not what I get from his comments. Hopefully all will be revealed in time.
He uses the term ‘demos’. That convinces me. Of course i admit i want to be convinced.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 27 Jun 2022 01:10

peppergomez wrote:
26 Jun 2022 23:42
I don’t think What Goes On is listed as amongst the five tracks on that tape. From memory it’s Jesus, After Hours, Beginning to see the light, pale blue eyes and was it Story of my life(?) I’m assuming it’s one the tapes listed in the archive.

And as of yet, i don’t think we should conclude that it’s Cale era recordings. I hope it is, of course
underground, overground

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 27 Jun 2022 11:17

lurid wrote:
26 Jun 2022 23:44
wow. Of all the audio stuff in the archive I can hardly think of anything less interesting (to me anyway)
Oh, I would like at least one listen to Electric Rock Symphony #1

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 27 Jun 2022 11:47

I 100% respect everyone's choice in music - it is an intensely personal thing. But I'd much rather hear something from his huge collection of live recordings, or even better 60s or 70s studio outtakes....

Elvis Plebsley wrote:
27 Jun 2022 11:17
lurid wrote:
26 Jun 2022 23:44
Oh, I would like at least one listen to Electric Rock Symphony #1

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 27 Jun 2022 17:30

iaredatsun wrote:
27 Jun 2022 01:10
peppergomez wrote:
26 Jun 2022 23:42
I don’t think What Goes On is listed as amongst the five tracks on that tape. From memory it’s Jesus, After Hours, Beginning to see the light, pale blue eyes and was it Story of my life(?) I’m assuming it’s one the tapes listed in the archive.

And as of yet, i don’t think we should conclude that it’s Cale era recordings. I hope it is, of course
Ahh bummer I can't see him bringing much to those 5 tracks that Yule didn't, not much room for solos, though I do recall reading a review that mentioned his viola solo in SoML