Interview with Jason Stern from Lou Reed Archives

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Interview with Jason Stern from Lou Reed Archives

Post by iaredatsun » 27 Jun 2022 18:00

peppergomez wrote:
27 Jun 2022 17:30
iaredatsun wrote:
27 Jun 2022 01:10

I don’t think What Goes On is listed as amongst the five tracks on that tape. From memory it’s Jesus, After Hours, Beginning to see the light, pale blue eyes and was it Story of my life(?) I’m assuming it’s one the tapes listed in the archive.

And as of yet, i don’t think we should conclude that it’s Cale era recordings. I hope it is, of course
Ahh bummer I can't see him bringing much to those 5 tracks that Yule didn't, not much room for solos, though I do recall reading a review that mentioned his viola solo in SoML
It was interesting what the earlier band did with Beginning To See The Light. It might not be about solos, but more about the feel of the songs.

It would great to know what the songs actually are though. One thought is that Stern is referring to the tape (with Cale) that only has Beginning To See The Light and Ocean, although that does not seem enough to warrant the term '3rd album demos'. I'm kind of hoping it's that ambiguous July '68 tape he's talking about.
underground, overground

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 27 Jun 2022 22:06

lurid wrote:
27 Jun 2022 11:47
I 100% respect everyone's choice in music - it is an intensely personal thing. But I'd much rather hear something from his huge collection of live recordings, or even better 60s or 70s studio outtakes....
I am interested in the noise, but I wouldn't choose it over those 3rd album demos.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 28 Jun 2022 02:56

iaredatsun wrote:
27 Jun 2022 18:00
peppergomez wrote:
27 Jun 2022 17:30

Ahh bummer I can't see him bringing much to those 5 tracks that Yule didn't, not much room for solos, though I do recall reading a review that mentioned his viola solo in SoML
It was interesting what the earlier band did with Beginning To See The Light. It might not be about solos, but more about the feel of the songs.

It would great to know what the songs actually are though. One thought is that Stern is referring to the tape (with Cale) that only has Beginning To See The Light and Ocean, although that does not seem enough to warrant the term '3rd album demos'. I'm kind of hoping it's that ambiguous July '68 tape he's talking about.
Imagine what Cale could do with Ocean on his Vox Continental

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 28 Jun 2022 05:16

I reread some of hkmartin’s listening notes made at the library, and song sounds like Cale is not playing in the tape with beginning and ocean. Reed is playing the songs to Cale to get his response,
underground, overground

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 28 Jun 2022 19:04

iaredatsun wrote:
28 Jun 2022 05:16
I reread some of hkmartin’s listening notes made at the library, and song sounds like Cale is not playing in the tape with beginning and ocean. Reed is playing the songs to Cale to get his response,
Sorry, when I said that, I think I was referring to the copyright tape, not the tape with Ocean. At the time, I think we were hoping for an early collaboration between Lou and Cale. I was just pointing out that it seemed like Cale's role was primarily as the audience, though he sang harmonies in a few songs (and lead on Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams).

I did listen to the many versions of Ocean. I don't remember much about them, except that they were quite different. I may be back in late July - if I am, I'll give them another listen.

Btw, when I was last there in February, I did give Electric Symphony a listen. This was before it was re-dated to 1966. I was going to just listen to a few minutes until I got the point, but I ended up enjoying it and listening to the whole thing. It's worth a listen.

I suppose the listening room is trying to draw a line for Lou's interest in guitar drone from 1966 up to Hudson River Wind Meditations.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 28 Jun 2022 21:24

hkmartin wrote:
28 Jun 2022 19:04
iaredatsun wrote:
28 Jun 2022 05:16
Sorry, when I said that, I think I was referring to the copyright tape, not the tape with Ocean. At the time, I think we were hoping for an early collaboration between Lou and Cale. I was just pointing out that it seemed like Cale's role was primarily as the audience, though he sang harmonies in a few songs (and lead on Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams).

I did listen to the many versions of Ocean. I don't remember much about them, except that they were quite different. I may be back in late July - if I am, I'll give them another listen.

Btw, when I was last there in February, I did give Electric Symphony a listen. This was before it was re-dated to 1966. I was going to just listen to a few minutes until I got the point, but I ended up enjoying it and listening to the whole thing. It's worth a listen.

I suppose the listening room is trying to draw a line for Lou's interest in guitar drone from 1966 up to Hudson River Wind Meditations.
Sorry I hope I didn't misunderstand or misinterpret what you said back in the other thread. It's kind of accurate with you describing Lou only on Beginning to See The Light, but I missed you saying that Cale is on viola for Ocean. However, I think my main point was it seems doubtful these constitute the demos that Stern is describing.

'I listed to the two versions of Beginning to see the Light. Both were acoustic demos with Lou on guitar....The other side had an acoustic version of Ocean, which somehow sounded more dark than the versions I know. I listened to a little bit of the jam, which was interesting. Lou on guitar and Cale on viola.'
underground, overground

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 28 Jun 2022 22:35

iaredatsun wrote:
28 Jun 2022 21:24

Sorry I hope I didn't misunderstand or misinterpret what you said back in the other thread. It's kind of accurate with you describing Lou only on Beginning to See The Light, but I missed you saying that Cale is on viola for Ocean. However, I think my main point was it seems doubtful these constitute the demos that Stern is describing.

'I listed to the two versions of Beginning to see the Light. Both were acoustic demos with Lou on guitar....The other side had an acoustic version of Ocean, which somehow sounded more dark than the versions I know. I listened to a little bit of the jam, which was interesting. Lou on guitar and Cale on viola.'
Ha, sorry, I had forgotten I wrote that! I don't really remember those takes of Beginning to See The Light anymore.
When I talked about Cale playing viola, I think I was referring to the "Jam with John Cale" on side B of the tape.

Lou Songs [Velvet Underground Demos]
circa 1967-1968

Side A
Beginning To See The Light 1
Beginning To See The Light 2
[Song Idea]
[Guitar Idea (Ocean)]
[Guitar Idea 1]
[Guitar Idea 2]
[Guitar Idea 3]
[Guitar Idea 4]

Side B