VU live bests

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
peppergomez
Head held high

Re: VU live bests

Post by peppergomez » 31 Oct 2022 17:08

Imo the best Cale era IWFMM is that snippet from the Cunningham documentary. Ditto VIF.

Thatch

Post by Thatch » 01 Nov 2022 11:54

I'd make my VUaN live album from all eras up to Lou leaving - which I know some wouldn't agree with but for me it's a matter of compromising performance against fidelity.

So...

Sunday Morning - Max's '70 - I think this performance is really sweet and is better than the one on the Quine tapes.
Waiting - Gymnasium '67 - as much as I love the slower versions post-Cale, I think this is the definitive live recording in my opinion.
Femme Fatale - Family Dog '69 - I almost picked the Max's recording because Lou sounds like he's having a great time singing on that one, but I think the Family Dog one has the right tone for the song.
Venus in Furs - Valleydale '66 - the viola version sounds better than the organ in my opinion, and Lou's vocals sound powerful.
Run Run Run - Hilltop '69 - a fantastic rock n roll performance, I love Lou's vocals on this. Wish they played it more often. It shows the difference between the Velvets' rockier outdoor festival shows against the more intimate indoor shows.
ATP - Valleydale '66, obviously.
Heroin - La Cave, April '68 - amazing performance, really raw and powerful, and Cale sounds fantastic.
There She Goes Again - one of the Matrix tapes versions, they all sound roughly the same to me
I'll Be Your Mirror - difficult one. The drums are too intrusive on the Max's performance, so I'd probably pick End of Cole Ave (whichever one is the best sound quality - I can never remember whether it's the first night or the second night).
Black Angel's Death Song - Valleydale '66 - I'd pick a Cale version over a Yule version anyday.
European Son - Filmmakers' Cinematheque Feb '66 - never liked the song but as it was almost never played live, the choice has been made for me.

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 03 Nov 2022 11:15

Not much to chose from but here's my faves

Sunday Morning:
Quine Tapes 69

I'm Waiting For The Man:
Valleydale '66 (even though I like the slower versions none is better than the album version and this is the only live version with a similar energy if I remember correctly)

Femme Fatale:
Max's 70 (with spoken intro)

Venus In Furs:
Cale-version or Matrix v.1

Run Run Run:
Boston Tea Party July 69 (close with Gymnasium but since nobody else has mentioned this.. Except Sister Ray this is probably my favorite live Velvets tune, all versions are great!)

All Tomorrow's Parties:
Valleydale '66

Heroin:
April 68

There She Goes Again:
Matrix tapes version 1 '69

I'll Be Your Mirror:
Live 69 / Dallas

Black Angel's Death Song:
Matrix tapes 69

European Son:
Cinemateque 66 (only recorded live version?)

Looking forward to the Sister Ray discussions :-)

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 03 Nov 2022 17:56

Thanks y'all, this is great. Anyone with further thoughts on the matter please submit them soon.

My next step will be to pull the discs and start listening to these suggestions. I'll begin taking suggestions for WL/WH in another week or so. Please note that I'll wait to post the resulting "albums" until the project is completed.

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 03 Nov 2022 21:52

Venus In Furs: In the absence of a good quality full Cale live recording, I'm going for The Matrix, San Francisco, California, December 1, 1969, as on The Complete Matrix Tapes. I prefer it to the other version on that box.

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 04 Nov 2022 00:01

Run Run Run: I'll go with Gymnasium. It's a bit uneven, but it has got some real high points and is a better quality recording than BTP, which would be the other contender for me.

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 04 Nov 2022 00:06

All Tomorrow's Parties: Well the only live version we have is Valley Dale Ballroom.

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 04 Nov 2022 21:26

Sunday Morning: Max's Kansas City 1970 - not better than the original but a good vocal.

I'm Waiting For The Man: Gymnasium - love the guitar riff on this one.

Femme Fatale: 1969: The Velvet Underground Live - so lucky to have this amazing Lou vocal on his song.

Venus In Furs: I'd have to also go with that snippet from (the cinematic?). The version I have plays after Andy Warhol says "well since I don't believe in painting anymore..."

Run Run Run: Hilltop Festival - great live tune. Gymnasium one could be chosen too. They should have played this more, too bad no live '69 version

All Tomorrow's Parties: Columbus 1966 - The only one we have it seems.

Heroin: 1969 The Velvet Underground Live Vol. 2 - Again, amazing vocal!

There She Goes Again: Matrix Box Version 1.

I'll Be Your Mirror: Oh I don't know. I can't get onboard with Doug singing this song. The definitive reading of this song is a solo electric version Lou song in 1972 on his tour of England. If not then I suppose I most go with 1969 Live VU version.

Black Angel's Death Song: Matrix Tapes 1969

European Son: Cinamatic 1966 - the Susie Q version.

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 06 Nov 2022 10:21

Slightly tongue in cheek, but isn't the definitive version of I'll Be Your Mirror the "fuzz guitar overload" one from the Dom in April 66? The only live version sung by Nico, although the fact that it's virtually unlistenable detracts from it a bit!
Keep the faith

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 06 Nov 2022 19:39

searchin4mymainline wrote:
04 Nov 2022 00:01
Run Run Run: I'll go with Gymnasium. It's a bit uneven, but it has got some real high points and is a better quality recording than BTP, which would be the other contender for me.
There's a really long version from Boston tea party in 68 I think that is absolutely ferocious and the best version I've heard Lou sounds possessed both in his solo and singing.