VU live bests

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

VU live bests

Post by Sheila Klein » 27 Oct 2022 02:12

I had an idea recently to compile a set of live VU recordings that'd match the track sequences of the four main albums, to the extent possible.

The project only makes sense if I use the best live versions of each respective song. Perhaps we could use this forum to nominate candidates for each song, as well as to identify which songs we have no known live recordings of. If people are interested in contributing to the project, I'd post a list of songs in order, and you'all could respond with version nominations, as well as ID the missing songs.

Any interest in helping out?

threechordwonder
Head held high

Re: VU live bests

Post by threechordwonder » 27 Oct 2022 10:15

Phil, would you include Max's, 1969 Live, Bataclan and Final VU as sources for the potential "best" versions?

And the rest of course - Quine, Matrix, live tracks on deluxe/anniversary repackages?

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 27 Oct 2022 13:14

It sounds very interesting!

What about Live 1993? it contains the only known live versions of "I Heard Her Call my Name", "Hey Mr. Rain" & "Guess I´m Falling in Love"

I am the table!
Beginning to see the light

Post by I am the table! » 27 Oct 2022 14:41

alfredovu wrote:
27 Oct 2022 13:14
It sounds very interesting!

What about Live 1993? it contains the only known live versions of "I Heard Her Call my Name", "Hey Mr. Rain" & "Guess I´m Falling in Love"
.... and the best live version of Some Kinda Love.

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 28 Oct 2022 12:05

I'm certainly up for it! I think it's a good idea to start with the 4 original studio albums. We can always continue with the rest later.

Guess I'm falling in love better on live 93 than at the Gymnasium??!? Last time I checked live 93 was still horrible but I was impressed by Moe's playing. Cale and Morrison are also not bad, but Lou is just awful and together with the "stadium sound" ruins it completely for me (the innovative guitar hero on the guitar amp tape was lost decades earlier). But hey, everything should be allowed for nomination, I guess.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 29 Oct 2022 15:17

sign me up for that Phil - happy to offer nominations and contribute material if I can
Sheila Klein wrote:
27 Oct 2022 02:12
I had an idea recently to compile a set of live VU recordings that'd match the track sequences of the four main albums, to the extent possible.

The project only makes sense if I use the best live versions of each respective song. Perhaps we could use this forum to nominate candidates for each song, as well as to identify which songs we have no known live recordings of. If people are interested in contributing to the project, I'd post a list of songs in order, and you'all could respond with version nominations, as well as ID the missing songs.

Any interest in helping out?

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 29 Oct 2022 22:57

I would like to restrict the pool of live versions to shows no later than Reed's leaving the group at the end of the Max's residency of summer '70. Even if, for instance, there's a consensus that a preferred version of one of the songs is from the reunion era, I prefer to ignore that version in favor of one from the original era. All live versions within the original era, though, are up for consideration.

Rather than put nominated versions to a vote I will select the "winning" versions myself. When completed, I can post the resulting tracks to WetRansfer.

For convenience I will post song titles from one album at a time. Please nominate favorite live versions of these songs from the Banana album:

Sunday Morning:

I'm Waiting For The Man:

Femme Fatale:

Venus In Furs:

Run Run Run:

All Tomorrow's Parties:

Heroin:

There She Goes Again:

I'll Be Your Mirror:

Black Angel's Death Song:

European Son:

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 29 Oct 2022 23:52

Sunday Morning: None, as I would not want to mix up eras.

I'm Waiting For The Man: Gymnasium 67

Femme Fatale: Valleydale 66

Venus In Furs: A hybrid of Poor Richards 66 into Valleydale 66

Run Run Run: Gymnasium 67

All Tomorrow's Parties: Valleydale 66

Heroin: all of Poor Richards weirdly segeuing into the Factory 66 and the Valleydale 66 versions

There She Goes Again: Factory, 1966

I'll Be Your Mirror: Factory, 1966

Black Angel's Death Song: Valleydale 66

European Son: Cinematheque 66
underground, overground

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 30 Oct 2022 00:57

Sunday Morning: None, as I would not want to mix up eras.
What's this mean?

Venus In Furs: A hybrid of Poor Richards 66 into Valleydale 66
Hybrid?

Heroin: all of Poor Richards weirdly segeuing into the Factory 66 and the Valleydale 66 versions
??

There She Goes Again: Factory, 1966
How is that “live”?

European Son: Cinematheque 66
Where does one find that set — might I know it by a different name?

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 30 Oct 2022 00:58

Sunday Morning: I think there are only three known live recordings. I'm still making my mind up, but at the moment I'm actually inclined towards Max's August 23rd 1970. There's a certain symmetry of it being the first song on the first album and one of the very last songs of the last gig before Lou quit. Plus there's his spoken intro where he say's "Wow it's really fun to be able to play these for you..." I can't remember off-hand if it's documented whether or not he'd already decided to leave when he said that.