new academic book

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
simonm
Head held high

new academic book

Post by simonm » 27 Nov 2022 19:19

one of those big expensive hardbacks that only libraries buy -

"In these collected essays, Pattie and Albiez present the first academic book-length collection on The Velvet Underground. The book covers a range of topics including the band's relationship to US literature, to youth and cultural movements of the 1960s and beyond and to European culture - and examines these contexts from the 1960s through to the present day."

[meh]

Velvet Underground - What Goes On

Bloomsbury Academic USA, ISBN 9781501338410

Contributors Introduction Sean Albiez (Independent Scholar, UK) and David Pattie (University of Birmingham, UK)

1.Saved by Rock and Roll: The Velvet Underground In and Out of History Jeffrey Roessner (Mercyhurst University, USA)
2. The Velvet Underground and the Networks of Sound, Vision and Words of the Fertile Transatlantic Crescent 1965 - 1967 Johnny Hopkins (Solent University, Southampton, UK) and Martin James (Solent University, Southampton, UK)
3. Andy Warhol Films, The Velvet Underground and Nico Glyn Davis (University of St Andrews, UK)
4. 'The Riskiest Kind of Writing Available': Lou Reed, Grove Press and the Literary Underground Thom Robinson (Newcastle University, UK)
5. The Velvet Underground and Musical Archetypes Julijana Papazova (European Scientific Institute, Spain)
6. Lou Reed's Great American Novel Peter Griffiths (East Midlands, UK)
7. Nico, Captain of Her Own Ship: Cultural Accreditation and Mid-60s Experimental Rock Mimi Haddon (University of Sussex, UK)
8. European Son: 'Europe' in Nico, Cale and Reed's Long-1970s Solo Work Toby Manning (Independent Scholar, UK)
9.'I'll be Your Mirror': The Velvet Underground as the legacy of Ziggy Stardust Johnny Hopkins (Solent University, Southampton, UK) and Martin James (Solent University, Southampton, UK)
10. What Caroline Says: Berlin, 1973 and 2006 David Pattie (University of Birmingham, UK)
11. Unfrozen Borderlines: Nico, John Cale and Brian Eno at the Berlin Nationalgalerie Sean Albiez (Independent Scholar, UK) and Timor Kaul (Independent Scholar, Germany)
12. Noise Annoys: Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music Mark Goodall (University of Bradford, UK)
13. The Velvet Underground is a Jonathan Richman Song Cibran Tenreiro Uzal (Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain)
14. 'It's Not That I Don't Want to Play Your Favourites': Lou Reed, Improvisation, and Performance David Pattie (University of Birmingham, UK)
15. Portrait of the Artist as Andy Warhol: Lou Reed and John Cale's Songs for Drella Elizabeth Ann Lindau (California State University, Long Beach, USA)
16. The Late Musical Voice: John Cale and Lou Reed in the 21st Century Sean Albiez (Independent Scholar, UK) Discography - The Velvet Underground and Solo Works Discographical and Musical Works References Film, Television and Radio References Index

DavidH
Head held high

Re: new academic book

Post by DavidH » 28 Nov 2022 08:45

I'm not saying that all academic writing about rock music is awful and reductive and tail chasing. It just might happen that only the things I've come across all fit that description. But I live in hope, and would be overjoyed if even one of these essays proved my prejudices wrong.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 28 Nov 2022 18:52

parts might be worth reading, but I'd never buy it - I actually dislike music books generally.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 29 Nov 2022 10:56

All of (especially the previously marginal) arts culture eventually become raw material for sociologists, anthropologists, musicologists, philosophers and cultural theorists to examine. It must mean that the VU have become that kind of respectable but still rarified object of interest that enables students of the above disciplines to cut their critical theses teeth on. The book, the essay titles – it sounds dire.

I agree with simonm about music books.
underground, overground

Driven Insane
Hangin' 'round

Post by Driven Insane » 29 Nov 2022 21:19

simonm wrote:
27 Nov 2022 19:19
one of those big expensive hardbacks that only libraries buy -

"In these collected essays, Pattie and Albiez present the first academic book-length collection on The Velvet Underground. The book covers a range of topics including the band's relationship to US literature, to youth and cultural movements of the 1960s and beyond and to European culture - and examines these contexts from the 1960s through to the present day."

[meh]

Velvet Underground - What Goes On

Bloomsbury Academic USA, ISBN 9781501338410

Contributors Introduction Sean Albiez (Independent Scholar, UK) and David Pattie (University of Birmingham, UK)

1.Saved by Rock and Roll: The Velvet Underground In and Out of History Jeffrey Roessner (Mercyhurst University, USA)
2. The Velvet Underground and the Networks of Sound, Vision and Words of the Fertile Transatlantic Crescent 1965 - 1967 Johnny Hopkins (Solent University, Southampton, UK) and Martin James (Solent University, Southampton, UK)
3. Andy Warhol Films, The Velvet Underground and Nico Glyn Davis (University of St Andrews, UK)
4. 'The Riskiest Kind of Writing Available': Lou Reed, Grove Press and the Literary Underground Thom Robinson (Newcastle University, UK)
5. The Velvet Underground and Musical Archetypes Julijana Papazova (European Scientific Institute, Spain)
6. Lou Reed's Great American Novel Peter Griffiths (East Midlands, UK)
7. Nico, Captain of Her Own Ship: Cultural Accreditation and Mid-60s Experimental Rock Mimi Haddon (University of Sussex, UK)
8. European Son: 'Europe' in Nico, Cale and Reed's Long-1970s Solo Work Toby Manning (Independent Scholar, UK)
9.'I'll be Your Mirror': The Velvet Underground as the legacy of Ziggy Stardust Johnny Hopkins (Solent University, Southampton, UK) and Martin James (Solent University, Southampton, UK)
10. What Caroline Says: Berlin, 1973 and 2006 David Pattie (University of Birmingham, UK)
11. Unfrozen Borderlines: Nico, John Cale and Brian Eno at the Berlin Nationalgalerie Sean Albiez (Independent Scholar, UK) and Timor Kaul (Independent Scholar, Germany)
12. Noise Annoys: Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music Mark Goodall (University of Bradford, UK)
13. The Velvet Underground is a Jonathan Richman Song Cibran Tenreiro Uzal (Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain)
14. 'It's Not That I Don't Want to Play Your Favourites': Lou Reed, Improvisation, and Performance David Pattie (University of Birmingham, UK)
15. Portrait of the Artist as Andy Warhol: Lou Reed and John Cale's Songs for Drella Elizabeth Ann Lindau (California State University, Long Beach, USA)
16. The Late Musical Voice: John Cale and Lou Reed in the 21st Century Sean Albiez (Independent Scholar, UK) Discography - The Velvet Underground and Solo Works Discographical and Musical Works References Film, Television and Radio References Index
Pretentious crap, if you ask me.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 29 Nov 2022 22:00

Driven Insane wrote:
29 Nov 2022 21:19
Pretentious crap, if you ask me.
Most definitely. The fact that it exists is sort of interesting, but the book itself isn't.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 29 Nov 2022 22:48

I have to agree with you guys, probably written by a group of eggheads who have never picked up a guitar in their life