Dean Wareham on Loaded | Podcast

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
fletchercjohnson
Beginning to see the light

Re: Dean Wareham on Loaded | Podcast

Post by fletchercjohnson » 01 Feb 2023 00:29

simonm wrote:
31 Jan 2023 22:55
fletchercjohnson wrote:
31 Jan 2023 18:04
...the Jokermen podcast is a humor podcast that I don't personally find very funny so I'm not recommending the episode either
wait, it's meant to be funny?
Jokermen is not a documentary podcast. It is a type of humor podcast that is becoming fairly common among all types of subjects (from fashion to sports to food to cars). The hosts are knowledgeable about a subject and they get together and kind of bullshit. It’s supposed to be fun, have the feeling of hanging with a group of friends and talking shit.

Jokermen built a large following focusing on Bob Dylan. They would pick an album, or a tour, or something specific and do an hour riffing on it. “Oh Bob was on so much cocaine on this tour he must have so and so.” People who like hearing obscure Dylan references got a kick out of it. But it’s very informal. Being fun is more important than being factually accurate.

These “guys just hanging out” type podcasts are very popular.

Last year Jokermen turned their attention to Lou and the VU. I don’t know if it’s been as successful as the Dylan episodes because they’ve gone back and done a couple more Bob episodes mixed in with Lou.

It’s fairly harmless but people who nerd out about the VU enough to be on this forum, me included, might be turned off by some inaccuracies. But it is definitely a humor podcast.

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Re: Dean Wareham on Loaded | Podcast

Post by MartinVU » 01 Feb 2023 15:12

I thought it was interesting enough to listen to while doing something else. Although they made some mistakes they seemed more knowledgable than for example Todd Haynes or Thurston Moore and his buddies talking at that book fair..and I agree with a lot of the things they said. Every time I listen to Loaded (not too often) I go "this is better than I remembered" and then I get to side B and go "no, it isn't". I Found A Reason might be the most underrated VU song of all though!