9 LP Loaded Box (nothing new...)

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Lil’olJacBestStayBak

Re: 9 LP Loaded Box (nothing new...)

Post by Lil’olJacBestStayBak » 04 Mar 2023 05:39

First comment. The only thing I want to hear is a stereo mix of the original 1970 release on 180 vinyl and lossless, without the horrific add-ons to New Age and Jane. Listening to the 45th Anniversary set, the ONLY place to hear New Age without the horrific tape splice and key change at the end was the mono version.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 05 Mar 2023 13:49

About tape-splice : I will always remember my first audition of Absolutely live (released before any Velvets concert) and something bothered me, I couldn't like this record. I was doing some music as an amateur, so I put it away and never listened to it again. But many unauthorized records from them thrilled me. Especially the Matrix where they already sounded exactly like their first 2 LPs from 1967. And at the beginning of the 21st century, spread over 9 years (!), 7 very expensive editions saw the light of day, with very ugly covers, of the concerts that were used to make this album. And I read that : "I couldn't get complete takes of a lot of songs, so sometimes I'd cut from Detroit to Philadelphia in mid-song. There must be 2000 edits on that album."
Strangely, despite Jim's mental and physical state of "disrepair", these performances contained a lot of energy. And I couldn't find any trace of the cuts that their producer mentioned.

Luzern

Post by Luzern » 12 Mar 2023 12:13

I'd like the mono version on a stand-alone LP.

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 16 Mar 2023 14:42

The guy who produced the box set, Jason something, said on the Hoffman forum that he would not break up the set, i.e. that none of the stuff would be released separately. So in a way it's good they didnt include a speed corrected Max's, ha ha

He also said he heard the 2 songs the post-Lou Velvet recorded and that they were dreadful, so I guess that's why they weren't included
Last edited by MartinVU on 16 Mar 2023 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 16 Mar 2023 14:47

Why not just buy a second hand copy of the original? You should get one in excellent condition quite cheap. 180 and remastered are mostly gimmicks if you ask me..though the newest version I own is the Fully Loaded
Cd I have never heard anyone suggest that the modern remasters beat the original, often it's the other way around.
Lil’olJacBestStayBak wrote:
04 Mar 2023 05:39
First comment. The only thing I want to hear is a stereo mix of the original 1970 release on 180 vinyl and lossless, without the horrific add-ons to New Age and Jane. Listening to the 45th Anniversary set, the ONLY place to hear New Age without the horrific tape splice and key change at the end was the mono version.

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 16 Mar 2023 15:49

MartinVU wrote:
16 Mar 2023 14:42
He also said he heard the 2 songs the post-Lou Velvet recorded and that they were dreadful, so I guess that's why they weren't included
That's a shame evenso. As Sal once said, none of this stuff is wasted on VU fans!
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 29 Mar 2023 18:58

Initial thoughts on the boxset:

The mono LP sounds quite dull so it is a bit of a disappointment since this was the reason why I bought the set. The super deluxe CD version sounds much better to me (and I'm usually not a fan of CDs)

On the other hand, the first LP of outtakes was a very enjoyable listen - I prefer it to the cd version.
I also enjoyed the 2nd fret set - although I know that most people don't care about it because it's poorly recorded.

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 29 Mar 2023 19:18

Initial thoughts on the boxset:

The mono LP sounds quite dull so it is a bit of a disappointment since this was the reason why I bought the set. The super deluxe CD version sounds much better to me (and I'm usually not a fan of CDs)

On the other hand, the first LP of outtakes was a very enjoyable listen - I prefer it to the cd version.
I also enjoyed the 2nd fret set - although I know that most people don't care about it because it's poorly recorded.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 30 Mar 2023 17:19

I do not really see what we can appreciate in vinyl. At least sonically.