New bio: Lou Reed: The King of New York

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
peppergomez
Head held high

New bio: Lou Reed: The King of New York

Post by peppergomez » 08 Oct 2023 17:13

https://www.amazon.com/Lou-Reed-King-Ne ... 261&sr=8-1

Has anyone read this and if so is it worth reading? It has very positive reviews but I don't I don't know if I need to read yet another book on him, unless it is exceptional.

sm7609
Hangin' 'round

Re: New bio: Lou Reed: The King of New York

Post by sm7609 » 10 Oct 2023 22:47

I will have mine by the weekend and will report back. Excerpts that I have read make it look essential, though!

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 14 Oct 2023 17:30

Cool thank you please let us know

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 14 Oct 2023 18:46

I'm up to 1969.

Found a few small things I didn't know (or didn't remember) about one of Lou's early pre-VU bands.
As far as the VU is concerned, everything I've seen so far is a retelling in condensed form of things that have been published elsewhere. I haven't come across anything yet (aside from the pre-vu stuff) suggesting original interviews or new research.
The writing is fine but not super engaging: aside from no new information, I've found little to no critical insights so I feel it lacks personality.

Maybe the solo years will be more interesting.

Don't want to sound harsh - mileage may vary based on how many books you have already read. For someone who hasn't read anything about the VU or Lou Reed, this may be a great read.
The excerpt that was published in the NYTimes looked well done which is why I bought it but so far I feel it's just ok.

camforrester
Hangin' 'round

Post by camforrester » 15 Oct 2023 00:15

falconwhit wrote:
14 Oct 2023 18:46
I'm up to 1969.

Found a few small things I didn't know (or didn't remember) about one of Lou's early pre-VU bands.
As far as the VU is concerned, everything I've seen so far is a retelling in condensed form of things that have been published elsewhere. I haven't come across anything yet (aside from the pre-vu stuff) suggesting original interviews or new research.
The writing is fine but not super engaging: aside from no new information, I've found little to no critical insights so I feel it lacks personality.

Maybe the solo years will be more interesting.

Don't want to sound harsh - mileage may vary based on how many books you have already read. For someone who hasn't read anything about the VU or Lou Reed, this may be a great read.
The excerpt that was published in the NYTimes looked well done which is why I bought it but so far I feel it's just ok.
Which Lou Reed biography would you most recommend?

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 15 Oct 2023 04:52

I don't know... it's all a bit of a blur at this point... I have about 50 books on the VU / Lou Reed and although it's quite easy to pick favorites for the VU (Uptight, Kugleberg, Unterberger), it's not as easy for Lou's bios, none of them stand out as clearly. I would need to re-read them to give a good answer.

Maybe Bockriss and then Anthony DeCurtis.
I don't remember how the Howard Sounes, Aidan Levy, or Peter Doggett were (this is a commentary on my failing memory, not on the quality of the books)
I remember not liking the Jeremy Reed.
There is a small book by Bill Brown that is beyond atrocious.

Although not a bio, I loved Ezra Furman's book on Transformer in the 33 1/3 series.

------------
Note that there are currently at least 5 AI-generated Lou Reed bios on Amazon:

LOU REED : The Legacy of a Rock Legend- A Transformative Rock Icon
("Here are some of the things that you will learn from this book: How Reed's early life and experiences shaped his music, etc.)

Lou Reed: Chords of Innovation, Lyrics of Liberation: A Concise Biography
("Get ready to be captivated by the chords of innovation and lyrics of liberation.")

BIOGRAPHY OF LOU REED : The Tremendous Power Of Willingness
(" Prepare to be inspired, entertained, and educated. Buy today and immerse yourself in the fascinating world of Lou Reed! Order your copy immediately so you don't miss out!"

Sonic Rebel: The Unveiled Story Of Lou Reed
(" Don't miss your chance to explore the enigmatic world of Lou Reed – click 'Buy Now' and dive in!")

And even more egregious - someone put out a summary of Will Hermes' book:
Summary of Lou Reed: The King of New York (The Reader's Shelf) Paperback – October 8, 2023
("This outline has been approximately created nailing down the fundamental central issues and realities, and summoned to assist developing comprehension you might interpret the book. Click on the "BUY NOW BUTTON" to get a copy")

There are probably more being generated as I type this.

----------

On a separate note, I watched your All Tomorrow's Parties video on youtube, super impressive.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 18 Oct 2023 06:26

https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-r ... f-lou-reed

Wasn't able to read it because i've used up my free article for the month