Max's Kansas City Tapes :: Conrad?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
user7g

Max's Kansas City Tapes :: Conrad?

Post by user7g » 23 Nov 2023 03:57

You all are a great community to follow. Thank you for everything.
What was the word with the Conrad tapes for the unreleased Max KC shows? I remember downloading the unreleased show and it was all samples lasting around 30 seconds. There was a Reed, Oh Sweet Nothing, etc.
Cheers!

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Re: Max's Kansas City Tapes :: Conrad?

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 24 Nov 2023 22:48

Do you mean the Freeman tape? Those brief snippets are all we've got. I did hope the deluxe editions would see the tape released, but sadly not

user7g

Post by user7g » 24 Nov 2023 23:01

Hey Elvis, the Freeman tapes is exactly what I wanted to reference and ask about. Sorry for peaking the wrong association.

01 I’m Waiting For The Man
02 White Light/White Heat
03 I’m Set Free
04 Lonesome Cowboy Bill
05 Who Loves The Sun
06 Sweet Jane
07 New Age
08 Unidentified Instrumental
09 It’s Just Too Much
10 Ocean
11 I’ll Be Your Mirror
12 What Goes On
13 Head Held High
14 Oh! Sweet Nuthin’
15 Some Kinda Love

What is going on with the tape? Was it ever sold with intent to enhance and distribute? I read the 2015 board from here, the article from Aquarium drunkard, and it seems as if its been radio silence ever since.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 29 Nov 2023 22:43

I think I remember reading that UMG didn't want to pay his price? Somebody could have just made up that part...

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 04 Dec 2023 00:08

From the inherent distortion in the available samples, I'd say that the Freeman tapes aren't worth much to any record label. The official Max's release of the Brigid Polk tape does it all and does it much better. Just a couple of extra songs on the Freeman tape that are better served by the Matrix/Dallas stuff?
underground, overground

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 05 Dec 2023 19:11

iaredatsun wrote:
04 Dec 2023 00:08
From the inherent distortion in the available samples, I'd say that the Freeman tapes aren't worth much to any record label.
I was surprised by your comment iaredatsun and I've just played the samples. I'm not hearing the distortion you refer to. It's not soundboard, but vocals and lead guitar seem pretty clear. From the samples, I'd definitely buy it should it ever get released.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 06 Dec 2023 09:23

Elvis Plebsley wrote:
05 Dec 2023 19:11
iaredatsun wrote:
04 Dec 2023 00:08
From the inherent distortion in the available samples, I'd say that the Freeman tapes aren't worth much to any record label.
I was surprised by your comment iaredatsun and I've just played the samples. I'm not hearing the distortion you refer to. It's not soundboard, but vocals and lead guitar seem pretty clear. From the samples, I'd definitely buy it should it ever get released.
Maybe ‘distortion’ is the wrong word, but compared to Max’s tape it’s really not a very clear recording. Maybe it’s fine for bootleg releases, but I can easily understand a record label having passed over on it.
underground, overground

Thatch

Post by Thatch » 06 Dec 2023 13:00

Well, it might not be classic era Velvets, but it's absolutely of historical note and probably a decent earner for the estate too.

The number of times that Max's Kansas City has been re-released, plus the horrendous quality of most of the other 1970 Velvets concert recordings, plus the inclusion of Oh Sweet Nothing, all definitely point towards the Freeman tape being financially worth releasing... I would definitely buy it!

I am the table!
Beginning to see the light

Post by I am the table! » 06 Dec 2023 20:04

I can't help feeling that there's something to be said for keeping that cha-cha-cha version of What Goes On out of circulation.

Excuse my hazy memory but are all the snippets from the same set? It doesn't sound like it.