Demand for Penultimate track:

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.

Who is your favorite Lou lead-guitarist?

You may select 1 option

View results

waldo jeffers
Beginning to see the light

Post by waldo jeffers » 18 Aug 2004 11:55

I voted for Quine, as I feel he gave far more to Lou than just guitar playing. Quine had always been a big fan of Lou's guitar work as well and by encouraging him to step forward and take more solos himself, he helped Lou to restore some confidence in his playing. This, of course, is merely my humble opinion.

jon

quine-rich

Post by jon » 18 Aug 2004 16:11

I voted for QuineQuine/Heinrich, but irongly agree with Mg196's points. My vote was hurried (I want the new track!) and probably based on Quine's body of work w and without Lou (the stipulation was only "favorite"). Some of his best playing is on Hell's "Time" anthology(especially the live Voidoids set).
BUT, MG196 has a great point. I only realized how good the Everyman's Man was only when I first heard "Take No Prisoners",which I neglected to buy for many years because of it's (toatlly unfair, imo) rep, and because it was not easy to find, until the reissue. Subsequently, I heard even better performances by this band in the Park West show and all the other shows from the period. this may have been Lou's best post VU outfit. IMHO. So, I voted for Quine, but the thing is.....Lou wasn't always his best during the period when Quine was in the band. So in teh video with Quine I myself qathcing and focusing on Quine in spite of Lou...

I need to learn more abou the is Heinrich character....

p.s. Rush...I think you mean quinine....

Anywya, this i my first post (except for my Creem guest post--I had just forgottent o sign in...), but I am really apprecaiteing the wealth of info the people here bring to the table..

And Rosie Leee...well, I like her style. Others would--and could--just sell the tapes. This way we are forced to interact, take part in the site, etc. Plus, given taht half teh fuin is anticipation, I find that getting the songs slowly gives each one an import it wouldn't usually have. Others might disagree...but given that most of us have discs upons discs of vu stuff, this track by track presentation of stuff makes it impossible to put the cd ont he shelve and take it for granted, like so many other VU rarities...

I'm babbling...I do hope that the 20other people will vote soon...

(Hey Walgo..good to see you....though you got lost in the mail :)

jonathan

Post by jonathan » 18 Aug 2004 16:13

didn't mean tot type that in as guest...

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 18 Aug 2004 17:07

THat's an excellent point, Jonathan. Whenever I see/hear early 80's Lou, I am actually looking at/listening to Quine! And ANYTHING would have been better than watching Peter Wood on keyboards. I cant remember which video it was, but at the end of Wild Side he made an idiot of himself in his idiotic Hawaiian shirt (i think?) playing the synthesizer like his life was on the line...and that wasnt a good thing!

But back to Quine. As the Reed/Quine tours progressed, Quine had a smaller and smaller role to play and it made me sad. If only he would have been able to break loose like on "Blank Generation" or the Blue Mask!!

The Everyman Band was truly that...a BAND. They all instinctively moved in and out with Lou's lyrics, slowing down, quickening the pace, and all exploding simultaneously. They really worked well together and played like they knew what the other guy was thinking. Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner played with that brilliance as well.
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Tad Shy

Post by Tad Shy » 19 Aug 2004 16:47

Stalled at 83? Supposedly, we have 186 members. We can't scrape together 17 votes out of the remaining 103? :cry:

spunk01

Post by spunk01 » 19 Aug 2004 23:50

I've got to go with Quine, too.

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 20 Aug 2004 16:28

C'mon guys...89! We're nearly there!!!
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

zackattaxx

Post by zackattaxx » 21 Aug 2004 18:56

Quine of Quorse. :evil:
music is best

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 22 Aug 2004 01:15

3...ta go......c'mon we need this track!
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

ferges
Site Admin

Post by ferges » 22 Aug 2004 01:35

we are close to 100!!!