Why have YOU stopped frequenting this board???

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
bob338

Why have YOU stopped frequenting this board???

Post by bob338 » 05 Aug 2007 18:35

i gave up on this board a few months ago. i'm curious, has anyone else stopped coming to this site like they used to? and if so, why?

i've checked back a time or two, but it seems to fall prey to tiny minds and childish bullshit a little too easily. there was one poster in particular that wore me down. everything he contributed was rude, stupid or just nonsense.

i don't want to start any wars, but if you want to name someone specific, feel free...

PhantomRaspberryBlower
On the wild side

Post by PhantomRaspberryBlower » 05 Aug 2007 21:01

I think the real problem is that there's very little to talk about that hasn't been churned over a million times already. Significant new boots are few and far between and the only new official stuff released since the Quine tapes are those couple of original mixes on that comp. Things are pretty dead in the VU world. :(

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 06 Aug 2007 01:32

PRB hit it right on.

As for the dude who made this site miserable for so long, he hasn't shown his head around here in a while. However, there are always people around who are ready to step in and be the nasty, rude, flame-war starter that every site needs to have.

I don't think you'll find a single post of mine that trashes someone else's taste in music. We're adults here, and those that aren't should be open to people liking other things. I just love starting a thread and then being trashed in it, like whitelight trashed me here:
Morrisseys sixth form 'poetry' cannot match in any way Lou's stunning lyricism (not that I'm a fan or anything!). The Smiths couldn't maintain an album, its only worth buying 'The World Won't Listen' if you must have something by them. The Smiths were a singles band and most of their best ones were nicked (see Panic - Metal Guru anyone?). The Smiths were Duran Duran for miserablists. I saw them once and it was awful. I'm just disappointed that Johnny Marr has not done anything since The Smiths split. If you want that teenage angst stuff go listen to The Wedding Present - better than The Smiths in every way.
Thankfully most people on the board are funny and full of good humour. And ya know, PRB, if there is no new VU news, then post something on the "General" forum!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Doctor Bob
Head held high

Post by Doctor Bob » 06 Aug 2007 01:55

mg196 wrote:PRB hit it right on.

As for the dude who made this site miserable for so long, he hasn't shown his head around here in a while. However, there are always people around who are ready to step in and be the nasty, rude, flame-war starter that every site needs to have.

I don't think you'll find a single post of mine that trashes someone else's taste in music. We're adults here, and those that aren't should be open to people liking other things. I just love starting a thread and then being trashed in it, like whitelight trashed me here:
Morrisseys sixth form 'poetry' cannot match in any way Lou's stunning lyricism (not that I'm a fan or anything!). The Smiths couldn't maintain an album, its only worth buying 'The World Won't Listen' if you must have something by them. The Smiths were a singles band and most of their best ones were nicked (see Panic - Metal Guru anyone?). The Smiths were Duran Duran for miserablists. I saw them once and it was awful. I'm just disappointed that Johnny Marr has not done anything since The Smiths split. If you want that teenage angst stuff go listen to The Wedding Present - better than The Smiths in every way.
Thankfully most people on the board are funny and full of good humour. And ya know, PRB, if there is no new VU news, then post something on the "General" forum!
Surely Whitelight is just criticizing the music of a band he doesn't like?

I don't see how the whole thing is about you, mg196. Whitelight seems reasonably informed about the Smiths, he's been to see them and has heard a bunch of their music. You started a thread pertaining to Morrissey. And he's stating his opinon. How does that equate to "trashing mg196's taste in music"?

I mean I love the track "Disco Mystic" and you don't. But when you trash it, I just think "mg196 doesn't like Disco Mystic", not "mg196 is trashing my music taste"

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 06 Aug 2007 02:25

Doctor Bob wrote:I mean I love the track "Disco Mystic" and you don't. But when you trash it, I just think "mg196 doesn't like Disco Mystic", not "mg196 is trashing my music taste"
NO! NO! NO! You've got it all wrong, buddy!

Disco Mystic IS the greatest track ever...it is MISTRIAL that I think is Lou's worst LP ever!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

simonm
Head held high

Re: Why have YOU stopped frequenting this board???

Post by simonm » 06 Aug 2007 12:31

bob338 wrote:i gave up on this board a few months ago. i'm curious, has anyone else stopped coming to this site like they used to? and if so, why?
I still look in quite regular, after a break of a few months, but there's not much to say.... A lot of the 'current' threads are really old. And many of the newer ones are questions that have been asked before.

I could post that I saw a film last night which had Sister Ray for the end credit music, but where would that go? It's not really a point of discussion. I didn't like the film much anyway (Brick). I didn't want to add to the 'bargain' thread as it could be construed as bragging...

MJG196
Born to Lose

Re: Why have YOU stopped frequenting this board???

Post by MJG196 » 06 Aug 2007 15:01

simonm wrote:I didn't want to add to the 'bargain' thread as it could be construed as bragging...
Hey dude, if that's all ya got...we'll take it!

My "news" has been almost non-existent. When I was in Israel in June, I heard Perfect Day and Wild Side, each on a different bus...on the same day. Nothing else to say really, except that Israelis prefer REAL music to muzak. I dont think that has EVER happened to me in America.

whitelight

Post by whitelight » 06 Aug 2007 20:42

I'd like to thank Doctor Bob for sticking up for me. I wasn't intending to cause offence by expressing my opinions on The Smiths, Morriseey etc but just to liven things up a bit and generate a healthy debate. I was really hoping that someone would come back with a decent argument about why Morrissey and Reed should be considered peers because to me they appeal to very different audiences.

bob338

Post by bob338 » 06 Aug 2007 22:43

whitelight wrote:I'd like to thank Doctor Bob for sticking up for me. I wasn't intending to cause offence by expressing my opinions on The Smiths, Morriseey etc but just to liven things up a bit and generate a healthy debate. I was really hoping that someone would come back with a decent argument about why Morrissey and Reed should be considered peers because to me they appeal to very different audiences.

this is another reason i stopped coming around. what does morrissey smith have to do with the velvets?

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 07 Aug 2007 01:56

this is another reason i stopped coming around. what does morrissey smith have to do with the velvets?
If you go to the "Moz or Lou" thread, the first post says it all. Two artists with very similar careers...

Have you contributed anything to the board? If you are dissatisfied with the content, why don't ya bring something to the table?