Rare, Rarest and Most Expensive VU items

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
alfredovu
Head held high

Re: Rare, Rarest and Most Expensive VU items

Post by alfredovu » 08 Jul 2009 23:00

mg196 wrote:Hey guys, how about posting the pics? When the auctions go dead, all these pics are lost.
I save ALL of them in my HD :wink:

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 08 Jul 2009 23:42

I've always thought we should have a (locked?) thread keeping a list of the super rare VU Ebay sales for everyones future reference - description, pics & final price.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 09 Jul 2009 01:25

bleach wrote:I've always thought we should have a (locked?) thread keeping a list of the super rare VU Ebay sales for everyones future reference - description, pics & final price.
Excellent idea! I had a recent health scare and all I could think about was who would take over my collection if something happened to me :shock: !
Maybe we could keep track of major collections also, and how to dispose of them if?

Jez
Head held high

Post by Jez » 09 Jul 2009 13:56

What a fantastic idea! I tend to save pictures but not the other info. Would love to see such a thread.

Hope you're ok now Rick.
You don't look like Martha and the Vandellas

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 09 Jul 2009 16:13

Jez wrote:What a fantastic idea! I tend to save pictures but not the other info. Would love to see such a thread.

Hope you're ok now Rick.
Yeah, I am a very unhealthy 350lbs with High BP, diabetes, etc. I am finally being treated by a Dr. and am on medication. I am trying to exercise and eat much
healthier. I did lose over 50 lbs from just giving up sugar over the last year, but much more to go. I got a bug, I think, and eating breakfast the other day, I got dizzy, a pressure on my head and I got scared. I went on the net searching symptoms and the panic set in. Went to my doctor and all vitals seemed OK. I go back next week for 6 month check up so we'll see. My concern is that I have a HUGE VU/Lou collection and my son who is my only survivor could care less about it (where did I go wrong?) I have told Mike Kostek that I will list him as the beneficiary of my collection so he can add to the VUAS collection and sell the balance to benefit him and my son. I guess I need to finalize that in some type of a will because my nightmare is that something happens to me, and the collection either gets given to goodwill, or worse, trashed! That would see many rarities and treasures lost forever. I don't know why, but I find it almost impossible to start thinning out my collection on eBay for some much needed money. It took me a lot, a few years ago, to even get rid of some of my duplicates. Does that make me one of those crazy "hoarders"? I have hundreds of vinyl and cd's that are still sealed! I have to have over 100 copies of the VU & Nico album either on cd or vinyl or in assorted box sets, shm cd boxes, reissues; I guess I am nuts. :?

Oh! BTW, there is a great program called Evernote. http://evernote.com/ It is a free program and it is amazing. It runs on your desktop and there is also a web site. You can have a copy on several computers and online and all synchronized. There are many uses, but my favorite is to save copies of photos on VU eBay auctions, but also I can save the entire web page from an auction. That way I can right click the page after the auction ends and have a copy of the page with artwork, selling price, seller, item number, and so on. The only thing is that if there are multiple photos in an auction, if you click the small photo, it doesn't get bigger. What I do is copy the final auction, then I save each photo separately. You can even save the "my eBay" page that lists all the closed auctions before you delete them. It also does tons of other neat things so give it a look. My own personal popsike! :wink:

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 09 Jul 2009 22:01

Thanks for the comments as to an Ebay/auction house record - perhaps Ferges could help and suggest a way that we can do this as I think it would work best if the thread didn't have loads of comments/debate to plough through (not that thats not welcome here, just in a different place!) Keep it simple description, dates, price, photos. The items either have to be very rare (only come up once in a blue moon) or a mint sealed mono promo Banana kinda deal - you get the picture..

I nominate the two most recent items that should be listed are the Music Factory 2LPs and the other auction strangely at the same time for that releases promo photo & press paper.

ferges
Site Admin

Post by ferges » 09 Jul 2009 22:59

I can make a locked & sticky topic (as 'admin announcements' in general section). Just send me a body of the post in pm and I will copy it into the locked topic.

upsetter
On the wild side

Post by upsetter » 09 Jul 2009 23:03

That sounds like a fine idea!

Another idea would be to set up a thread that is for pictures only, perhaps with all the pictures being stored on one host. At the moment, pictures appear throughout the board, so it would be nice to have some way of reliably storing them for the longer term, where the image files are stored locally, with perhaps a way of browsing them (thumbnails?). Is phpBB able to do this, or should we be looking at one of the image hosting sites?

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 09 Jul 2009 23:13

OK ferges i will be in touch and we'll get a Rarest of the Rare VU thread started very soon..

I like the idea of a photo archive - perhaps year by year? I know some forums have photo collections so it must be possible, perhaps we need to ask ferges very nicely about this as well!

ferges
Site Admin

Post by ferges » 09 Jul 2009 23:30

bleach wrote:OK ferges i will be in touch and we'll get a Rarest of the Rare VU thread started very soon..
Just post it and pm to make it locked & sticky.
bleach wrote:I like the idea of a photo archive - perhaps year by year? I know some forums have photo collections so it must be possible, perhaps we need to ask ferges very nicely about this as well!
Unfortunately the file space on this server is limited to 100MB and there is no possibility to extend it. The only solution is an external server.