John Cale on 1969 Live

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
saltobello

John Cale on 1969 Live

Post by saltobello » 20 Mar 2004 15:46

I've read in a couple of places that some of the trks on the great great 1969 The Velvet Underground Live were actually not only from 68 but from 68 shows with John Cale. Does anyone know which trks they are? I imagine it is What Goes On and Ocean.

Thanks.

sma

arjan
I'm Set Free

Re: John Cale on 1969 Live

Post by arjan » 20 Mar 2004 21:05

saltobello wrote:I've read in a couple of places that some of the trks on the great great 1969 The Velvet Underground Live were actually not only from 68 but from 68 shows with John Cale.
Rumours persist, but as far as I know that's all they are, based on the assumption that Yule could never have come up with keyboard parts as good as WGO.

Homme Fatale
Head held high

Re: John Cale on 1969 Live

Post by Homme Fatale » 21 Mar 2004 14:17

arjan wrote:...the assumption that Yule could never have come up with keyboard parts as good as WGO.
Which is laughable. The longer I've been into this band the more I have respect for Yule's musicianship (he even played the guitar solo on the album, didn't he...?!). When I read back old articles and/or books where Lou and everyone else belittles Doug and talks about him like he's an idiot it really upsets me.

Drew Katsikas

Post by Drew Katsikas » 22 Mar 2004 02:06

If he did, that rules. Perhaps my favorite guitar solo ever. But, on the box set, the live What Goes On is so good, and I think Lou does that. It sounds like the nuts and bolts are flying out of his amp.

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 06 May 2004 21:28

It's not a single solo it's several takes mixed together to get that "bagpipes" effect. If you listen you can hear it. Doug didn't play the solo, he says it was his idea to mix them altogether.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 13 May 2004 01:28

Whenever you hear Lou or others belittle Doug, keep one thing in mind: Lou had Doug play on Sally Can't Dance and the tour that followed! On the Sally Can't Dance Tour, Doug played bass, keyboards, guitar, and even took lead vocals on several occasions when Lou either passed out or forgot the words!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Homme Fatale
Head held high

Post by Homme Fatale » 17 May 2004 14:25

Hiphopchipshop wrote:The longer I've been into the Velevt Underground I start to think that Doug Yule is the reason i like VU. the first record I heard by them was VU and all the stuff he was involved with has this warm meloncholy, and much less of the bravado and wilfull contraryness of the Cale era. oddly though the only VU related records I like more than Yule era velvets are Cale solo albums! Figure that one out!
Other than the first record I ever heard from them being the banana album instead of VU, I could've said that. 8) OK, I mean Lou is the man, but Doug has always been severely underrated, both by other members of the band and even by the fans.