New Bootleg Website in the Works

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
lurid
Head held high

Re: New Bootleg Website in the Works

Post by lurid » 12 May 2009 22:55

hi Dave, I can relate to all of that stuff except:

23.10.68 Cleveland Ohio La Cave 40 B+ Audience VU49

Is this different from the 02.10 and 04.10 tapes? If it is then I dont think I've ever heard it!

and is the 13.03.69 interview different from the 03.03.69 one?

See you in Manchester!

Gordon

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 12 May 2009 23:15

With the bootleg LPs, are you going to include re-issue info as well?
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 13 May 2009 01:07

Thanks for that list, Dave. I think some of the dates can be updated (eg the End of Cole dates are from a couple of weeks earlier), but it's a really good start.

daril1101

Post by daril1101 » 13 May 2009 05:52

Hi
Don't get excited, it's just some of the updating that needs doing.Sadly nothing new here Gordon !
Looking forward to Manchester
Dave

gibson343
On the wild side

Post by gibson343 » 13 May 2009 06:34

There is a generous amount of documentation that the Velvets were in Los Angeles,
headlining over Chicago (Transit Authority) October 23-27 1968. I believe Jimi was
at one of those shows with Nico!?! According to a story, I think one told by Mr Doug Yule,
the band played I heard her Call My name, and Jimi banged a whisky bottle on the table
yelling "I dare you to do that again", in reference to Lou's guitar solo. The band played
the song again. Doug and his sidemen, the Velvets, met Jimi afterwards. There is
another story from an unrelated source that Jimi was taken with Terry Kath's guitar
playing, Terry the future self inflicted gunshot victim of Chicago.
Therefore be ready for deja VU of any Cleveland shows dated Oct 26 1968, as in "Hey that
sounds like Jan 1969 La Cave Cleveland."

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 13 May 2009 13:45

I was more thinking that "23.10.68" would be the 04.10.68 show(s). But there is an "odd" version of "What Goes On" - on Dave's list as "26.10.68 Cleveland Ohio 10 C+ Audience VU2" which has never been satisfactorily dated as far as I know. It cannot be from 26.10.68 for the reasons pointed out, so I always assumed it was from the 04.10.68 late show. It's certainly different from the other WGO from 04.10.68 (ie the one used on PSAS).

Anyone any ideas? Where is Jamie Klimek when we need him!

gibson343 wrote:Therefore be ready for deja VU of any Cleveland shows dated Oct 26 1968, as in "Hey that
sounds like Jan 1969 La Cave Cleveland."

gibson343
On the wild side

Post by gibson343 » 14 May 2009 07:35

I always thought it was Oct 4 1968 late, show. It seems similar to the version that
made its way to PSAS. I prefer the version of WGO from the earlier show.
I compiled some things from VU live 68, including I Can't Stand It and that
version of WGO and another track or two and lent it the date of Oct 4 1968
late show, just for my own locating purposes, without any attempt
to shovel more confusion on the misdating of tapes allegedly attributed
to Mr Klimeck. Last I heard Mr Klimeck was ill, that was about 6-7 years ago.
I have a disk titled "Those Were Different Times" featuring material
by The Mirrors, Electric Eels, and Styrenes. The Mirrors and Styrenes featured
Mr Klimeck. I have tapes of the VU dated 23/10/68 and 26/10/68. One of them
is identical to a recording of the band dated late Jan 1968 at La Cave
Cleveland. The other had tracks identical a show dated December 1 1968 Cleveland
Music Hall. Then there are other tapes with all sorts of combinations of Yule era
Cleveland recordings. I guess I just don't know, and I could also throw in that refrain
from Venus in Furs about not wanting to dig up those tapes in the cabinet next
to me and list what is what, how does it go "I am tired, I am weary, I could post for
a thousand years, the questions that will awake me, are the misdated tapes of
all those years."

gibson343
On the wild side

Post by gibson343 » 14 May 2009 08:15

I got up turned around and there in the book/cd case beside me the disc
I made of tracks I assume could be VU 4Oct1968 La Cave Cleveland, 2nd show.
This includes What Goes On, Move Right In, I Can't Stand It, That's the Story of My Life.
Move Right In, and I Can't Stand It are from the vinyl boot live 1968. I don't recall
exactly the sources for the other two, though I think That's the Story is from a vinyl
boot and What Goes On from a tape. I originally received a copy of this WGO from Olivier
via email on a very primitive computer 10-12 years ago. I patched my tape deck to the
computer tower and dubbed it onto a tape. I am pretty sure I received another copy later
via snail mail. Listening to the cd, the ambience, especially in the whacking of the drums
is pretty consistent. Lou makes a few comments before going into WGO but they are
indistinct to my ears.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 14 May 2009 13:43

I think I compiled my "04 Oct 1968 late show" tape in a similar manner. Like you, I received the "non-PSAS" version of WGO as a single song (mine came on a cassette in the mid-1980s) with an obviously incorrect date assignation.

I used to have a Mirrors/Eels tape but I lost it years ago. I remember it had the Mirrors doing a live version of "Foggy Notion" sometime in the early/mid 1970s!

I believe that Olivier's web page is an accurate record of which Cleveland tapes/songs are available and also gives the current "best guess" as to their true dates/origins.

I had always just assumed that Mr Klimek was "responsible" for the mis-dating of the Cleveland recordings, but It was just an assumption on my part - I've never had any evidence to back that up (or ever been in contact with him). It just always seemed odd that almost all of the Cleveland recordings have some ambiguity about their true dates while (eg) all of the Professor's Boston Tea Party tapes seem to be well dated/documented.....very frustrating to all us "anoraks" who care about these things. Hardly a major problem in the overall scheme of things, though - at least we have the recordings to listen to...
gibson343 wrote:I always thought it was Oct 4 1968 late, show. It seems similar to the version that
made its way to PSAS. I prefer the version of WGO from the earlier show.
I compiled some things from VU live 68, including I Can't Stand It and that
version of WGO and another track or two and lent it the date of Oct 4 1968
late show, just for my own locating purposes, without any attempt
to shovel more confusion on the misdating of tapes allegedly attributed
to Mr Klimeck. Last I heard Mr Klimeck was ill, that was about 6-7 years ago.
I have a disk titled "Those Were Different Times" featuring material
by The Mirrors, Electric Eels, and Styrenes. The Mirrors and Styrenes featured
Mr Klimeck. I have tapes of the VU dated 23/10/68 and 26/10/68. One of them
is identical to a recording of the band dated late Jan 1968 at La Cave
Cleveland. The other had tracks identical a show dated December 1 1968 Cleveland
Music Hall. Then there are other tapes with all sorts of combinations of Yule era
Cleveland recordings. I guess I just don't know, and I could also throw in that refrain
from Venus in Furs about not wanting to dig up those tapes in the cabinet next
to me and list what is what, how does it go "I am tired, I am weary, I could post for
a thousand years, the questions that will awake me, are the misdated tapes of
all those years."

PlanckEra
Beginning to see the light

Post by PlanckEra » 21 May 2009 07:25

Hello again everyone,

I'm very close to finishing the database for the new bootleg web site as far as the CDs are concerned. I've decided to concentrate on those and, if I get the chance in the future, move on to the LPs etc. later. Anyway, I have a few questions about some of the recordings I don't have access to, and if anyone can help that would be great! All questions will be in reference to Oliver's page on CD bootlegs. Here goes!

01. Is the "Ride Into the Sun" (track 01) featured on Ride Into the Sun unique, or is it available on another release as well? The description kind of spins my head!

02. On Collector's Dream, "After Hours" (track 01) is credited to "Carol Lou Trio". Who/What is this?

03. On Eternal Legacy Live..., is "That's the Story of My Life" (track 14) the same as track 03 from Sweet Sister Ray's Murder Mystery?

04. On 1990, is John Cale's "I'm Waiting For the Man" (track 14) the same as track 03 on Eternal Legacy Live...?

05. What's the deal with the Star Spangled Banner on The Psychopath's Rolling Stones?

06. Also dealing with The Psychopath's..., where is "White Light/White Heat" (track 02) and "I'm Waiting For the Man" (track 03) "available elsewhere"? Are these from Flowers of Evil or something else?

07. Is the actual audio from "Lou Says" featured on other discs of the Nov. 04, 1966 show and just not labeled as such?

08. On April Sounds, "Guess I'm Falling in Love" is listed twice (tracks 02 and 06). Are these two from the same performance?

and lastly...

09. It says "All Tomorrow's Parties" from The Velvet Underground & Nico - Mono-Version is from PS&S. Does that make it a pirate? Are there other tracks you can think of that are directly lifted off official material? (Discs fully lifted from official material (i.e. The Great Banana will not be featured on the site).

There we have it! I hope my questions are clear enough, and I hope the answers are out there. Thanks a lot in advance!

~Adam