IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
threechordwonder
Head held high

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by threechordwonder » 22 Mar 2015 11:07

Spotted ... MMM on UK Radio 4.

A brief extract was played on Radio 4 show "Something Understood", a show with a spiritual theme. The speaker (Justin Champion) compared the sound bombardment inside an MRI scanner with MMM, and I would not disagree.

This episode was broadcast on 15/3/2015 so the link will expire in three weeks or so http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b055dtts.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 25 Jan 2018 11:09

For the record, these are old references but show the Velvet Underground is now being mined for quiz show questions (in th UK at least). I'm sorry if you don't know the various rules but I will not explain them.

The Only Connect connecting wall featured Reed, Cale, Morrson and Tucker as a group of four. Tucker was the red herring and could have belonged to the Grange Hill group.

Comedian/actor Ardal O'Hanlon answered two minutes of questions about the Velvets on Celebrity Mastermind. What were the questions? Don't know, err, pass.

Celebrity Pointless had a round about musicians who left or were fired from their bands. "Welsh multi-instrumentalist fired from the Velvet Underground, intials JC" was answered by John Cooper-Clarke and scored something like six points. The presenter then said Cale trained as a 'cellist.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 14 Feb 2024 21:35

Back in the ads after six years or so - soundtrack to the Expedia Northern Lights package holiday is I'll be your mirror.

I'm baffled by the reference to Super Bowl in this write-up though https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/vel ... r-bowl-ad/

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 25 Feb 2024 18:42

Are we using this thread for snippets of VU trivia that aren't worth a new one?

I was reading the sleevenotes to the Charles Douglas album that Moe Tucker produced and played drums on in the late 90s; "The Lives of Charles Douglas".

The notes read "Moe Tucker told me that she knew Phil Spector in the 60s and one day she told him how much she loved River Deep Mountain High and he screamed at her "Then why didn't you buy the product!!?" After that Moe kept her distance.

Moe also said that Lou and John's constant fighting on the VU reunion tour cost them a lot of money because they were supposed to tour America and record a new album, but they broke up again before that could happen.

She also told me that when her son (who played in a rock band) turned 16 a ton of new guitars, amps and recording equipment turned up at their house. It was a surprise birthday present from Lou because he wanted to help out"
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

I am the table!
Beginning to see the light

Post by I am the table! » 26 Feb 2024 14:04

bradski wrote:
25 Feb 2024 18:42
Are we using this thread for snippets of VU trivia that aren't worth a new one?

I was reading the sleevenotes to the Charles Douglas album that Moe Tucker produced and played drums on in the late 90s; "The Lives of Charles Douglas".

The notes read "Moe Tucker told me that she knew Phil Spector in the 60s and one day she told him how much she loved River Deep Mountain High and he screamed at her "Then why didn't you buy the product!!?" After that Moe kept her distance.

Moe also said that Lou and John's constant fighting on the VU reunion tour cost them a lot of money because they were supposed to tour America and record a new album, but they broke up again before that could happen.

She also told me that when her son (who played in a rock band) turned 16 a ton of new guitars, amps and recording equipment turned up at their house. It was a surprise birthday present from Lou because he wanted to help out"
Great album!

On a related note:

https://charlesdouglasworld.blogspot.co ... -post.html

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 26 Feb 2024 17:22

That was a good read. A couple of things...

The Music Machine weren't hippies by any stretch. They were a great garage punk band with a real hard sound on a lot of their songs ... like No Girl Gonna Cry for instance. Most of their songs were 2 -3 minutes long. When they played live they all wore one black glove.

Still, I wouldn't get into an argument with Moe.

Regarding Warhol. I interviewed Moe n Sterling back in 92 for local radio in England and when she signed my VU & Nico LP she drew a little heart under Andy's signature and then signed her name underneath. So, she must have liked him, even if she didn't dig his work. Both Moe and Sterl were very friendly and we talked for half an hour but I lost the tape. I got a whole load of stuff signed though.

Yes, that C Douglas album is good, I also have a double CD with 4 other albums on, all v lo-fi, recorded in his parent's basement and very very drug fevered.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 28 Feb 2024 17:09

Are you ready for ...... the Lou Reed AI Chatbot?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/ ... e-festival

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 28 Feb 2024 18:35

bradski wrote:
28 Feb 2024 17:09
Are you ready for ...... the Lou Reed AI Chatbot?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/ ... e-festival
The Loubot will never manage to be as rude to journalists as the real Lou.

I am the table!
Beginning to see the light

Post by I am the table! » 29 Feb 2024 12:54

Maybe the Loubot could be deployed to complete his detective novel.