IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
User avatar
bradski
On the wild side
Posts: 176
Joined: 26 Jul 2008 20:39
Contact:

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by bradski » 08 Mar 2014 15:37

Can't be arsed to start a new thread for this tiny bit of BBC-based VU trivia.
Play this week on Radio 4 'Andy Warhol's Wig' sees young Thomas - '60s throwback and art student - hook up with an elderly wheelchair-bound artist for a humourous learning experience via the fleshspots of Soho.
Featured 3 Velvet Underground tracks - What Goes On, Who Loves the Sun and I Found a Reason.

Not a good play by any means but vaguely interesting - you may catch it here til about Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03wq3bm
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

Eddie Sedgewick
Posts: 12
Joined: 28 Oct 2013 00:36

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by Eddie Sedgewick » 13 Apr 2014 19:51

. . the intro to Sweet Jane is used in BBC Top Gear's caravan trip special . . . incidentally I remember hearing a rap song using a loop of the the frst part of The Gift a while ago, ironic as The Gift was already a rap . . :) . .

User avatar
Jez
Head held high
Posts: 210
Joined: 08 Dec 2006 13:42
Location: England

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by Jez » 14 Apr 2014 17:35

Jesus and Heroin were both used recently used on the Top Gear Burma special.

I think threechordwonder is right. Must be a few VU fans working for the BEEB.

Jez
You don't look like Martha and the Vandellas

threechordwonder
Head held high
Posts: 211
Joined: 05 Aug 2008 22:27
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by threechordwonder » 17 Apr 2014 09:49

I hate the association between VU and Top Gear.

One is an exposition of subsocietal counter-culture and its population of sleazeballs, whilst the other is ...

User avatar
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street
Posts: 1259
Joined: 08 Jun 2004 21:38
Location: London, Texas

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by iaredatsun » 17 Apr 2014 16:00

Jez wrote:Jesus and Heroin were both used recently used on the Top Gear Burma special.

I think threechordwonder is right. Must be a few VU fans working for the BEEB.

Jez
Maybe there's a message in there? A link between Addiction, Burma, Christianity and Cars. ABCC.
threechordwonder wrote:I hate the association between VU and Top Gear.

One is an exposition of subsocietal counter-culture and its population of sleazeballs, whilst the other is ...
Sad fact is that the owners of the music allow this and its use in advertising ? car tyres, for example.

I think there's a quiz/survey thing in there somewhere. Which products would the members most like to see advertised with which VU song?

Story of My Life : Moleskin diaries.
I Heard Her Call My Name. Alka Seltzer.
All Tomorrow's Parties. Marks & Spencer frocks
White Light/White Heat - Perfect Living Master Guru Maharashji's program of enlightenment.
Lady Godiva. Laser eye surgery.
Here She Comes Now. Fluoxtene.
I'll Be Your Mirror. The Samaritans
underground, overground

threechordwonder
Head held high
Posts: 211
Joined: 05 Aug 2008 22:27
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by threechordwonder » 04 Mar 2015 21:16

Well, this just happened, it's a thing.

Channel 4 in UK have been using the title line (only) from IWFTM in their advert/trailer for Crufts 2015.

Crufts is quite a big dog show in UK, in case you didn't know. I think there is a cute dog on screen, but the picture and music cut away quickly.

I'm :?

threechordwonder
Head held high
Posts: 211
Joined: 05 Aug 2008 22:27
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by threechordwonder » 04 Mar 2015 21:20

iaredatsun wrote:
I'll Be Your Mirror. The Samaritans
By the way, that's a good one.

User avatar
bradski
On the wild side
Posts: 176
Joined: 26 Jul 2008 20:39
Contact:

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by bradski » 06 Mar 2015 14:21

Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere, but anyway......

Watching Men In Black 3 last night... J goes back in time to 1969 and ends up at a 'happening' at The Factory. Andy is there (sort of... not a bad impression, to start with anyway).
Outside shot of The Factory with the long thin sheet hanging down... which I assume they got mixed up with The Dom... unless the Factory had a similar sheet?

The tune playing as the models twirl on the catwalk and Andy snapping away on his camera? Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo! (the director obv too lame to hit the VU straight away) ... but 2nd track in.... I'm Waiting For The Man.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

User avatar
logic
On the wild side
Posts: 117
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 21:51
Location: Netherlands

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by logic » 06 Mar 2015 15:14

bradski wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere, but anyway......

Watching Men In Black 3 last night... J goes back in time to 1969 and ends up at a 'happening' at The Factory. Andy is there (sort of... not a bad impression, to start with anyway).
Outside shot of The Factory with the long thin sheet hanging down... which I assume they got mixed up with The Dom... unless the Factory had a similar sheet?

The tune playing as the models twirl on the catwalk and Andy snapping away on his camera? Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo! (the director obv too lame to hit the VU straight away) ... but 2nd track in.... I'm Waiting For The Man.
Here is the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEntqetYQD0 VU at 2:50

dial4
On the wild side
Posts: 199
Joined: 24 Sep 2010 16:07

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by dial4 » 10 Mar 2015 13:07

Sad the people'll remember the Buzzcocks as a "film" and not as a wonderful power-pop band...
Well for Top Gear, I remember it was a radio broadcast in the past and now we've old racing cars and so on, most boring TV program in the world.

Post Reply