I'm Waiting For The Max - Rhino Records press release

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
olandem
Hangin' 'round

I'm Waiting For The Max - Rhino Records press release

Post by olandem » 25 Mar 2004 17:15

Press Release! -- Rhino Records
http://www.rhino.com/news/RhinoPRDetail ... Number=220

I'M WAITING FOR THE MAX

2-CD Deluxe Edition Of The Velvet Underground's Live At Max's Kansas City Arrives In Stores June 8
MARCH 15, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- Rhino/Atlantic adds 21st century polish to what may be the first-ever "legal bootleg" with the June 8 release of The Velvet Underground's LIVE AT MAX'S KANSAS CITY. The pioneering alternative band's final album has been expanded to two discs including previously unreleased material, rare photos, and new liner notes.

LIVE AT MAX'S KANSAS CITY was recorded at the legendary New York nightclub during the summer of 1970 as the quartet readied Loaded, their final studio recording, for release. The album was taped by Warhol star Brigid Berlin (aka "Brigid Polk") on August 23rd at what would become Lou Reed's last performance with the band he founded (until their early 1990s reunion gigs).

The original album featured 10 tracks (including such VU staples as "I'm Waiting For The Man," "Sweet Jane," and "Femme Fatale"); the new reissue of LIVE AT MAX'S KANSAS CITY adds seven previously unreleased performances. The two discs include both sets from the evening in their entirety (for the first time ever), as well as a rare Atlantic Records promo spot.

All recordings have been remastered from the best-available source tapes to give listeners a "front-row seat" at this historic concert. Upgraded packaging of LIVE AT MAX'S KANSAS CITY features several rare photos by Dustin Pittman, who shot many of the VU's shows at Max's. The booklet also includes new liner notes with remembrances from performers (bassist Doug Yule, drummer Billy Yule, and original drummer Moe Tucker, sidelined by pregnancy at the time) as well as prominent spectators (in addition to Brigid Berlin and Atlantic Records' Danny Fields, famed NYC poet Jim Carroll was in attendance and can be heard in several places on the tapes).

When The Velvet Underground emerged from pop artist Andy Warhol's Factory in the mid-1960s, its jarring instrumental assault and Lou Reed's penetrating lyrics were unlike anything ever heard before. The quartet -- Reed, guitarist Sterling Morrison, multi-instrumentalist John Cale (replaced in 1968 by Doug Yule), and Tucker -- inspired hundreds of rock greats, including David Bowie, R.E.M., and Sonic Youth. The New York Times noted in its original review of the band's Max's shows that "they make 80 percent of today's popular rock groups seem pointless and amateurish." Thirty years later, that percentage continues to grow.

Technophallus
Hangin' 'round

Post by Technophallus » 26 Mar 2004 02:13

June 8th, so long away.

Homme Fatale
Head held high

Post by Homme Fatale » 27 Mar 2004 13:57

YESSS...!!