VU at Philip Johnson´s Glass House July 1967 footage

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
alfredovu
Head held high

VU at Philip Johnson´s Glass House July 1967 footage

Post by alfredovu » 22 May 2013 13:06

Just got a copy of the Vogue magazine Aug 1967. VU are mentioned in the article but regretfully the picture is concentrated in the guests dancing on the "frantic sounds of the Velvet Underground"--scroll down on the blog for a repro of Vogue.

I was investigating a bit more when came across this Blog:...

http://philipjohnsonglasshouse.wordpres ... derground/

Seems to be an excerpt of a full with sound footage of that night

What you can see at the end of the video is the people dancing on VU music!

On the pic from Vogue I can see a litlle of Lou and Sterling that are behind a wall of guests dancing! 8you can see o the film)

As per the blog:
The film is archival footage of an event held at the Glass House in 1967 to benefit the Merce Cunningham Dance Company. Described as a ?Country Happening? in Vogue Magazine, August 1967, Merce Cunningham dancers performed to music by John Cage, and later the Velvet Underground took the stage. The original soundtrack to the footage included guests clinking glasses, neighbors complaining, and police arriving to break up the party!

taxine
Head held high

Re: VU at Philip Johnson´s Glass House July 1967 footage

Post by taxine » 22 May 2013 14:07

Great find Alfredo,pity no sound on the footage,seems a backwards picture of Nico's singing along with Gerald(l)and Reed(r) in front a bunch of people Dancing to the Velvet Underground !!
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 22 May 2013 19:48

so right about the pity of no sound. now it is always taken for granted. As much as Warhol and his peopled filmed, one must wonder what is still to be found. I'm sorry but I can't spot any Lou, Sterl or Nico in the film or still. :(

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 23 May 2013 08:48

I have a VHS copy of the whole film of that event ("498 3rd Ave")and I am 99.9% confident that there is no more VU sound than is already circulating (2 small snippets, "spoiled" by Merce Cunningham talkover) and no images of the VU at all.

A friend of mine also contacted the original filmmaker a few years ago and he confirmed that there is no more footage of the event available from that source - ie he doesn't have any "unused" footage...

A real pity!
PS wasn't Nico long gone by July 67?

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 25 May 2013 03:58

Man, what a pity. So funny/weird how pretty nobody outside the immediate Warhol circle (except maybe Steve Nelson at the Boston Tea Party) gave the slightest shit about The Velvets during their prime ('67-'68). It seems that, culturally speaking, they were more or less irrevlevant. Which baffles me when I listen to the first two albums and some of the very very few bootlegs from that time frame (though IMO Lou sounds pretty bad vocal and guitar wise on some of the April '67 Gymanisum songs that surfaced a few years back).

The version of Heroin with Cale from the April '68 La Cave show is among the most astounding and powerful rock songs I have ever heard. How could most people just ignore this? I guess it was too easy to write them off as part of Warhol's freak scene of poseurs and hangers on, without delving into the power and poetry of their music and lyrics. Still, what a freaking shame.

Side note-- I read once on these boards some thoughts that Bill Graham (their biggest hater, haha) might have filmed their May '66 show at The Filmore. Anyone have any idea of how this rumor got started and if there is any truth to it?
No doubt he threw it out or recorded over it if he did, since he hated them and Warhol so much.

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 08 Jun 2019 18:28

Video posted above appears to be a modern day mashup of VU in Boston footage from 1967 with audio from Loop and July 11, 1969 performance of Run Run Run.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 09 Jun 2019 19:30

Yeah, not relevant to the Glass House show, but still very cool