VU Live Detroit Nov 66

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
alfredovu
Head held high

VU Live Detroit Nov 66

Post by alfredovu » 06 Apr 2004 14:45

I APPROACHED SOMEONE WHO CLAIMED TO ATTEND THIS SHOW. THAT´S WHAT HE HAS POSTED ME:

Alfredo,
The show was one of my favorites----relatively early in the Detroit music scene. I too was a fan of Velvet Underground-----especially after the Andy Warhol/Banana album.
The show had the Yardbirds w/Jeff Beck AND Jimmy Page on guitars. They did the "blow up the amps" routine and put on a great show. Velvet Underground was the headliner----w/Nico (on violin ?)------John Cale--Lou Reed---the original band. The light show was Andy Warhol's "Exploding Plastic Inevitable"----alot of hype about that but it didn't impress me. The band was great------all the favorites from FM radio---"Waiting for my man"---"Sweet Jane"---and finishing with a long jam on "Heroin". I thought it was all very decadent and "dark". You have to realize that they were tapping into a different area of musical conciousness then we were used to hearing. The Yardbirds big hits of "Over Under Sideways Down" and "Shape of things" were tame "pop" hits in comparison-----very good stuff but a whole different take on the music scene.
Tom
SOME OF THE INFO IS ABVIOUSLY INCORRECT (NO SWEET JANE IN 66) BUT , MAN, THIS WAS ALMOST 38 YEARS AGO!!
MOST INTERESTING FOR ME IS THE WAY THEY ENDED THOSE SHOWS WITH ALONG JAM.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 07 Apr 2004 14:16

I've just been re-reading POPism, and they mention this gig - it was the Mod Wedding event, sponsored by a local supermarket at the Michigan State Fairgrounds. Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs played too.

The couple volunteered to be married in public to win a 3 day trip to NYC and a Warhol screen test. Nico sang 'Here Comes The Bride', and their present from Andy was an inflatable Baby Ruth bar.

The '60s eh?