** V.U. Song Contest -- and the winner is... **

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
arjan
I'm Set Free

** V.U. Song Contest -- and the winner is... **

Post by arjan » 19 Mar 2005 21:10

Alright, that was the Song Contest! I must admit I feel a bit empty now, at the end with no more polls to enter (nearly) every evening. But I feel very satisfied by its main results, viz. that people started talking about their favourite/not so favourite songs (Squeeze, anybody? :P) and engaged in mild (Do-Not-)Vote-For-Song-X campaigns. And I'm confident that Sars and Changeling will kiss and make up :wink:

Personally, I would've thought that more later-era songs would make it to the final stages than just Candy Says and Sweet Jane, but as it turned out everybody consistently voted for the Cale-era songs, which is fair enough.

Well, the eventual songs in the final may have been somewhat predictable, the determination of who won certainly wasn't! Because... two people were bang on the percentage (70). And the winning song (Sister Ray). And predicted the same (wrong) losing finalist (Venus in Furs). Which meant... another die to be thrown! I wish I had defined a number of additional criteria so as not leave it to chance who the ultimate winner would be, but this is the way it is.

So I had the love of my life throw a die. Odds for Obscure, evens for SimonM. It came up odds (1, to be precise).

Which leaves me to contact the winner (will PM straightaway for contact details), thank everyone who participated for their votes, contributions &c., and of course thank Ferges and Homme Fatale for allowing me to run the polls on the Forum!

Chance
Head held high

Post by Chance » 19 Mar 2005 23:04

Thank YOU for such a fun time, Arj! That was great! It was like an important election, I felt I HAD to get out and vote for my candidates or I wouldn't have been able to face myself. :lol:

Now then, grab some rope and help me round up the dunces who voted against Mr. Rain. :P
Last edited by Chance on 20 Mar 2005 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke

obscure
Hangin' 'round

Post by obscure » 19 Mar 2005 23:51

Arjan, this contest (and book opportunity) was very much appreciated, I really became enthused by the various individual song contests that arosed and it's been a lot of fun! Thank you for putting the time into making it run so smoothly! :)
Coming soon to this location: charming ruins

Homme Fatale
Head held high

Post by Homme Fatale » 20 Mar 2005 18:46

This was good fun, thanks Arjan!

deckarep
Hangin' 'round

Post by deckarep » 20 Mar 2005 19:53

Thanks for a great time, and lot of fun (and irritation ;-))

Saffie
Hangin' 'round

Post by Saffie » 21 Mar 2005 01:37

Congratulations, Obscure! Enjoy your book.

Now that I've dreid my tears...

Arjan, you've put so much into the poll you'll probably feel like you have alot of time on your hands now. Exceptional job, you did!

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 21 Mar 2005 11:18

You could say I was "close but no banana", thanks for all your work Arjan!

Pig Related
On the wild side

Post by Pig Related » 21 Mar 2005 11:55

Tons of fun indeed. Great job, Arjan.