What is this?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
feelingfresh
On the wild side

Re: What is this?

Post by feelingfresh » 09 Jan 2014 02:00

I think that's an air recording of a showing of the film footage and I think I have it -- a lossless copy, unlike the one on that blog. I'll see if I can post find it and post it when I post the other one.

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 09 Jan 2014 07:44

I think you're right that it's a copy from a showing of the film but I always thought it was direct from the projector (or whatever it was shown on), e.g. using a skart socket or equivalent, rather than an air recording. To me it doesn't have the ambience of an air recording.
Keep the faith

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 09 Jan 2014 09:16

nick257 wrote:
alfredovu wrote:I have the audio from dvd, nice quality in case you are interested, but not sure if it is loseless
Thanks anyway - I have the DVD audio but it is lossy. I am looking for the Raro version that came out on videotape
Hi Nick
I have the VHS and the DVD (both originals from Raro). I have not seen/listen to the VHS for a long time now. Do you think sound is better in the VHS than on the DVD?

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 09 Jan 2014 12:29

I did a pretty good transfer of the audio from the Raro vhs back in the day and traded it a bit, so one of the versions circulating is that probably. Before that I had a reasonable 'air' recording from a screening of the film I attended, so that's knocking around too - it was recorded on tape, but I edited the two parts together cleanly. I think that version has less messing around at the beginning and goes more or less straight into the opening gtr drone, where I included more of the tuning up + ambient intro noise on the vhs transfer version, so it will have a slightly longer running time.
I could upload a wav of the vhs audio, not sure if I have software to convert to FLAC.
I also did an capture of the Dom jam sometimes called Chic Mystique from a Jonas Mekas video issued by Raro - might as well get that out there too. I think it's marginally better than the Twisted Stars version. IIRC there's a gap in the middle of the Twisted version that I edited out on the vhs transfer.

thisisit1

Post by thisisit1 » 09 Jan 2014 18:52

Kill Mick wrote:The best version of Symphony of Sound I have heard is this, but unfortunatley the links no longer work:

http://thenunsareontheseawall.blogspot. ... sound.html

If you can track down a copy it's definitely worth the effort. I still have it (merged into one long file) but unfortunatley somewhere along the line I copied it into mp3 rather than flac. Still sounds pretty good to me though.
Check this out:

http://thevelvetundergroundbootlegslyok ... ny-of.html

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 09 Jan 2014 20:38

Simon
An upload of both would be fantastic - I forgot to mention I was after a transfer of the Raro VHS audio of Chiq Mystique also. Wav would be fine. Im very grateful!

Feelingfresh - I'll look forward to comparing it with your digital transfer of the other version so thanks for that also.

Alfredovu - the DVD unfortunately has AC3 audio which is lossy. The VHS version would have lossless audio. Likely the VHS version has more hiss also but at least it will have the full range of frequencies of the music.

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 10 Jan 2014 20:17

A good friend of mine did a private 6 CD compilation of VU-Cale stuff that includes terrific verions of the Synmphony and Chiq Mystique. I do not know the source. I have a copy in the computer but is on mp3 (sounds great to these ears!). Need to have a look at the original CD home.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 10 Jan 2014 23:04

alfredovu wrote:A good friend of mine did a private 6 CD compilation of VU-Cale stuff that includes terrific verions of the Synmphony and Chiq Mystique. I do not know the source. I have a copy in the computer but is on mp3 (sounds great to these ears!). Need to have a look at the original CD home.
Alfredo, sounds very interesting! Love to hear it if possible.
underground, overground

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 15 Jan 2014 15:07

iaredatsun wrote:
alfredovu wrote:A good friend of mine did a private 6 CD compilation of VU-Cale stuff that includes terrific verions of the Synmphony and Chiq Mystique. I do not know the source. I have a copy in the computer but is on mp3 (sounds great to these ears!). Need to have a look at the original CD home.
Alfredo, sounds very interesting! Love to hear it if possible.
I think this is what you are talking about. BE CAREFUL (there are many links on the pages and if you pick the wrong link on SendSpace, it leads to virus')
http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/archive.ph ... t=666598-1

feelingfresh
On the wild side

Post by feelingfresh » 09 Feb 2014 02:50

nick257 wrote:Simon
Feelingfresh - I'll look forward to comparing it with your digital transfer of the other version so thanks for that also.
So sorry it took so long.

Download