VU DVD on eBay - item #4187436663

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
cjlawlor

VU DVD on eBay - item #4187436663

Post by cjlawlor » 06 May 2004 22:55

Has anyone seen this Velvets DVD listed on eBay -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW?

Personally speaking, I know it's a bootleg and should be traded rather than sold for profit... but I am tempted to place a bid... Any thoughts or offers to trade (rather than be ripped off) for this or a similar DVD would be appreciated.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 12 May 2004 14:03

When I first started collecting, I bought bootlegs to get my collection started. One of the bullshit companies I purchased from was Subterranean Records in NYC. $20 for the Alice Tully Hall concert (The Phantom of Rock)...and what I got in the mail was a silver CD-R, spray painted silver! Then, like an idiot, I purchased another...the La Cave show, and was completely ripped off! Subterranean Records couldn't fit the whole show on a single disc, so they simply cut-out "Story of My Life" and used white-out on the cover-art, "erasing" the last track!

Since then, I have refused to purchase any bootleg, whether DVD or CD-R. Vinyl is my only exception to the rule. Soon, enough traders will have the technology to copy that stuff to DVD...I can wait.

My recommendation is to hold off on bidding....unless you can get it for less than $10. There is a guy on e-bay who often puts up "The Phantom of Rock and Roll," which is a TOTAL bootleg rip-off of the Alice Tully Hall show...they just edited the New Age track and added a few tracks from some other show, probably printed up a bunch of cover-art at Kinko's, and started selling it for $15!!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music