All Tomorrow's Parties - Walk Alone

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
ferges
Site Admin

All Tomorrow's Parties - Walk Alone

Post by ferges » 13 May 2004 00:46

This is a copy of the crappy At The Warhol Museum bootleg. This song has an excelent quality. I've received this file from Rosie Lee. She said other songs will follow. Grab it from this link.

The song is encoded to mpeg4audio, so you will need plugin:
Winamp 2.x/5.x
QCD Player
Last edited by ferges on 22 May 2004 18:24, edited 3 times in total.

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 13 May 2004 02:29

Woah! This is amazing, thank you very, very, much for posting this. Certainly worth downloading the new version of Winamp for!

Rosie Lee UK
Beginning to see the light

Post by Rosie Lee UK » 13 May 2004 03:11

I am Rosie Lee UK. You do not know me. I have what you need. Be on the lookout here for more tracks you have NEVER heard before. They are in mp4 format so you have to deal with it. I will be releasing these tracks from my grandfather's private collection located somewhere underneath London. I'll give you a hint where: One of my all time fave shows, Eastenders, often mentioned this place.

Some tracks are big and others small. I have given the administrators here several demands and they have complied. As long as they comply I will release more music. Please note, I am releasing them one at a time, in order as they appear on the disc. If someone from the group angers me or makes me sad I will never come here again.

I hate prog rock so do not attempt to bribe me with Yes or Genesis tickets. I will only communicate with the administrators of this group. Do not contact me. I hate contact.

ferges
Site Admin

Post by ferges » 13 May 2004 12:43

Walk Alone
Jerry Jr Pellegrino, Terry Philips, Lou A. Reed, James N. Smith

Amazing! The Velvet Underground played at least one song written by Lou Reed and the Pickwick team guys! This song appears on the Factory rehearsals tape, recorded on January 3, 1966. This tape remains in Andy Warhol Museum archives but some of the tracks are available on a unique CD part of the 1996 All Tomorrow's Parties: Remembering The Velvet Underground exhibition at Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh. THIS CD IS NOT FOR SALE. Read CD page for full information.

When you walk, you know you're gonna walk alone
When you talk, you're always gonna talk alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna talk alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna talk alone
When you make love, you know you're gonna love it alone
Yeah when you make love, you know you're gonna love it alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna love it alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna love it alone

Honey when you die, you know you're gonna die alone
When you die, you know you're gonna die alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna die alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna die alone

When you dream, you know you're gonna dream alone
When you dream, in your mind all alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna do it alone
All alone, all alone, you know you're gonna do it alone

Source: Olandem site

lostblues
Head held high

Post by lostblues » 13 May 2004 13:05

WOW! Brilliant! Hats off to Rosie. Can´t wait to hear more...

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 14 May 2004 18:01

It's such a pleasure to be able to hear things like this. In some ways, Walk Alone is a lightweight little ditty (you can hear Lou himself saying they wrote it for a joke), but at the same time it's a total Lou Reed song - the toughness, the bitterness and the 'one man against the world' kinda sentiment. Lovely guitar part from Sterl as well.

So anyway, from Rosie's comments that the tracks are being released "one at a time, in order as they appear on the disc", it looks like the source is the following:

ALL TOMORROW'S PARTIES - REMEMBERING THE VELVET UNDERGROUND
The Andy Warhol Museum, USA, 1996. Engineered by Big Science.
1. Walk Alone (3:28) (Lou Reed?) / 2. Venus in Furs/Crackin' Up (3:50) (Lou Reed / Ellis McDaniel) Reed teaches Nico the lyrics to Venus while the band plays Crackin' Up / 3. Rhythm & blues instrumental (2:22) / 4. Run Run Run intro to Miss Joanie Lee (11:48) (Lou Reed?) / 5. Day Tripper intro to Boom Boom Boom Boom instrumental (6:18) (Lennon/McCartney / John Lee Hooker) / 6. Rockabilly instrumental (1:15) / 7. Blues instrumental (5:18) / 8. Heroin (6:10) (Lou Reed) / 9. There She Goes Again (3:29) (Lou Reed) Lou Reed on vocals / 10. Green Onion (5:57) (Booker and the MGs) / 11. There She Goes Again (4:18) (Lou Reed) / 12. Heroin (4:12) (Lou Reed) / 13. I'll Keep It With Mine (3:33) (Bob Dylan) / 14. European Son / Suzie Q (Lou Reed / John Cale / Sterling Morrison / Maureen Tucker) / 15. Get It On Time (2:18) (Lou Reed) / 16. I'll Be Your Mirror (3:20) (Lou Reed)

1-11: Rehearsal in Warhol's Factory, January 3, 1966 / 12-14: Up tight performance at Cinematheque, N.Y.C., February 6, 1966 / 15, 16: Rehearsal in the Factory before The Exploding Plastic Inevitable tour, March 7, 1966. Original recordings from the collection of The Andy Warhol Foundation for The Visual Arts, Inc. Digitally remastered by Big Science Recording, July 1996. Recorded on a reel to reel tape recorder, possibly by Andy Warhol.

Notes: this unique CD was produced exclusively for the exhibition "All Tomorrow's Parties: Remembering The Velvet Underground" at The Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh. THIS RECORDING IS NOT FOR SALE. The Museum has one copy of the CD, and it is available for a listen, but you have to make a research appointment with Museum's Archivist. Public hours for research in the Archives are Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This is the only access the public has to the recording. Email at awmarc2@warhol.org for an appointment 2-3 weeks in advance.

Looks like we're in for a few treats if we're good!

One obvious question: where the hell was all this stuff when the box set was being compiled? Thanks again Rosie!