Dinky Dawson Soundboards

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sunshine

Re: Dinky Dawson Soundboards

Post by Sunshine » 05 May 2012 10:42

Last edited by Sunshine on 05 May 2012 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 05 May 2012 15:24

I've cut and pasted below a comment which was posted on Wolfgangs vault in response to a few comments that were sceptical that this was the Moggy Klingman band not the Hunter/Wagner band. This indicates that theyve got a few more recordings of the band from in between the two shows we have so far - I cant wait to hear them!

"Skepticism about this being with the Klingman band is to be expected, but indeed it is. The astonishing improvement/development of this lineup is documented by additional previously unheard recordings from May of 73. We simply began with the two currently featured, because they so clearly illustrate how rapidly things progressed during that month of May 1973. A few more recordings from this previously undocumented leg of Lou's tour have been located and further trace the rapid development. The Rock and Roll Animal band didn't even begin rehearsing until the end of August, a few months AFTER this leg of Reed's tour."

If this really is the Klingman band then this is a very exciting development - and now I understand why Lou was allegedly annoyed about the credit that Hunter/Wagner got for the RnR animal sound. It proves to me what a creative genius Lou is - he had it all worked out with the Moogy Klingman band. It also means that Moogy is now getting the recognition he presumably deserves for his role in the development of the sound also.

On the other hand Sad Song only entered the RnR animal tour setlist on the US leg of the tour in December 1973..............I can understand why people might think its been mislabelled.................
Last edited by nick257 on 05 May 2012 22:56, edited 2 times in total.

bobbldr
Head held high

Post by bobbldr » 05 May 2012 16:50

lurid wrote:wow!

I'm listening to it right now and can hardly believe it. As the notes say, the difference between this show and the previous "moogy" show just a few weeks earlier is tremendous. The "Berlin" songs are pretty much fully formed/arranged.
The band are indeed much tighter even if Lou's vocals are a bit rough in places. Great version of "Sad Song".

Go to WV and listen!
Gordon, I agree- LOVE this version of "Sad Song". I remember this song SO clearly when I saw him on the "Animal" tour. Fabulous!

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 05 May 2012 23:15

nick257 wrote:...and now I understand why Lou was allegedly annoyed about the credit that Hunter/Wagner got for the RnR animal sound. It proves to me what a creative genius Lou is - he had it all worked out with the Moogy Klingman band. It also means that Moogy is now getting the recognition he presumably deserves for his role in the development of the sound also.
There are more than a few firsthand sources that say Hunter/Wagner created that R&RA sound and Lou was extremely irritated by the resulting positive press. I think Lou had relatively little to do with creating the sound of that band. He may have worked with them on the arrangements - like when he switched the Sweet Jane and Vicious intros - but I think he had very little to do with that sound. Wagner, Prakash, and others have said as much.
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

TeddyB
Beginning to see the light

Post by TeddyB » 07 May 2012 10:38

That tape is definitely Hunter and Wagner. Maybe the dates on the tapes are mixed up. The arrangements for the Berlin songs were done with Ezrin at Morgan Studios in London that Summer with Steve Hunter. They did not exist before then. The live band was then put together to tour the album after its release. I don't know what the cock-up is here, but it makes no sense. No way was Lou performing songs from Berlin on that May tour.

Incidentially, Hunter's fanfare was written long before he worked with Lou. It's not possible that the Klingman band and Lou had the idea for a fanfare, and then Steve happened to have that piece. That's why Hunter is credited with the "Intro/" It was already copyrighted. Otherwise there would have been no separate credit.

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 07 May 2012 21:01

Well,........I take back what I said...........this was posted on Wolfgang's vault.........mystery over

"Thanks for everyone's help on this! We stand corrected. Dinky and I have been scouring contracts, tour itineraries and all other relevant evidence and have determined this is actually the December 19, 1973 gig at The Orpheum in Boston, the last gig prior to the live album taping - with the Rock & Roll Animal band, of course. Apologies for all the confusion on our end and thanks for caring enough to dispute the mistake! Alan"

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 07 May 2012 21:19

And this is what Dinky told me in response to my query to him about this:

"Mislabeled for sure!! The concert posted is 12/19/1973 Orpheum Boston a few days before the Academy. Prakash John replaced Peter Walsh on bass during November that is why you hear Lou saying that is what I want when they have got it right."