WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
PhantomRaspberryBlower
On the wild side

Re: WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Post by PhantomRaspberryBlower » 14 Dec 2013 14:56

I'm enjoying the set - aside from the problems with the Gymnasium disc (there's distortion in GIFIL that's not on the PSAS version as well as the volume drop. I haven't compared Booker T yet) - but has anybody come up with an explanation for why Mr Rain V2 is missing it's intro? On Another View there are a few seconds of music before the drums kick in, but on the new remix it comes straight in with the drums...

Loving discs 1 and 2, though, and the packaging in general. Just a shame that the live disc seems to have some unnecessary problems. Mind you, so does the Valleydale show on the 45th VU&N set, being as it's pretty much a straight rip of the 'If It's Too Loud For You...' boot, complete with digital glitches that aren't present on the old vinyl version.

Anyway though, looking forward to whatever surprises the 3rd album boxset hopefully has in store for us...

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 14 Dec 2013 15:21

PhantomRaspberryBlower wrote:Mind you, so does the Valleydale show on the 45th VU&N set, being as it's pretty much a straight rip of the 'If It's Too Loud For You...' boot, complete with digital glitches that aren't present on the old vinyl version.
Really? Haven't heard that set, v disappointing if that's true
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 14 Dec 2013 18:19

nick257 wrote: They may just have wanted to give us the tape as it originally was without too much processing, in which case I kinda appreciate it. However it seems odd then that they cut the bits between songs that we have from the bootlegs like dispatches, even cutting the spoken introduction to waiting!. That's what annoys me more - there was plenty of space on the disc to include the whole uncut tape.
They're saving "this VU times...." for the 50th Mega Edtion,lol !!
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 15 Dec 2013 14:41

Kill Mick wrote:I must admit I'm pissed off about the sound level drops on a couple of the Gymnasium tracks - what the f***'s that all about? Careless, and ruins the listening experience for me.
I wonder whether this is what gazatthehop (from this forum) was referring to over on the stevehoffman forum? He said something about Cale being unhappy with the state of the decaying tapes being released. I'm not quoting gazatthehop - just from what I remember.

Somewhere here:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/t ... 97/page-15

Also, there are so many people complaining about the volume fluctuations (here and at stevehoffman) that I wonder why UMG at least didn't explain why they are there in the sleeve notes and why they didn't attempt a repair. Could they not predict this?
underground, overground

Kill Mick
Head held high

Post by Kill Mick » 15 Dec 2013 20:35

Well it's ultimately up to Cale or whoever owns the tapes, and I don't want to be seen as moaning, but if they are worried about the tapes degrading why haven't they already done digital transfers of them? Or why don't they do them now?! I just find it frustrating when bootlegs are better quality, or more complete, than official releases. The technology is there to make these the best quality versions possible (I know certain things are beyond repair, and for example tape hiss is almost impossible to remove) so why isn't it happening?
Keep the faith

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 16 Dec 2013 06:37

Man, the sound quality on this reissue is fantastic. Mr rain 2 and WL/WH mono single mix in particular are killer. A bit disappointed that the bass in temptation inside,your heart is not nearly as punchy as,on VU. Otherwise, really great.

pilgrim
Beginning to see the light

Post by pilgrim » 17 Dec 2013 08:50

Very happy with the vinyl edition, although I'm trying to find a way to hear the Gift live at the Gymnasium, which wasn't part of the 2 LP set. There are no single-song MP3 purchases available for that particular selection as far as I can see, and nothing posted on YouTube. Any ideas how I can hear this? I'm just dying to listen to it, but I only buy vinyl and don't want to fork out the money for the entire set on either MP3 or CD just to hear one song. I have requested my local library picks up the set, but I'm not sure how well that will work out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 17 Dec 2013 11:28

pilgrim wrote:Very happy with the vinyl edition, although I'm trying to find a way to hear the Gift live at the Gymnasium, which wasn't part of the 2 LP set. There are no single-song MP3 purchases available for that particular selection as far as I can see, and nothing posted on YouTube. Any ideas how I can hear this? I'm just dying to listen to it, but I only buy vinyl and don't want to fork out the money for the entire set on either MP3 or CD just to hear one song. I have requested my local library picks up the set, but I'm not sure how well that will work out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Actually the whole set comes from other planet,but this one.......enjoy !!

http://www.crocko.com/F313A8E9831D4ACA8 ... _Gift.flac
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 17 Dec 2013 17:25

pilgrim wrote:Very happy with the vinyl edition
Am I the only one who has problems with the vinyl? The pressings look really good but there is the odd random skip on Guess I'm Falling In Love - possibly due to mis-tracking I reckon (too much bass?). Plus inner-groove distortion on Here She Comes Now.

I don't have this on other albums and recently carefully realigned my cartridge and set the anti-skate.

Is the US version pressed in the US? Anyone have it? The UK version is pressed by GZ Media.
underground, overground

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 17 Dec 2013 18:50

The whole set is of course on TPB (FLAC or mp3).