WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Post by iaredatsun » 02 Oct 2013 15:17

alfredovu wrote:Guess I´m falling In Love, the two Mr. Rains and Beginning have been newly remixed this summer. Interesting to note that Guess recording date is Sept 5th and not Dec 5th as informed before, so actually an outtake of the Wl/Wh recording sessions.
Thank-you. Now it makes sense. So Guess the same period as WLWH! I would never have guessed from it's sonic footprint. I love Guess, so looking forward to a new mix.

Alfredo, do you know whether the the instrumental version The Gift has been mixed as stereo?
underground, overground

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 02 Oct 2013 17:50

Gift Instrumental: i d not know but I would say, and this is my opnion, that this track was on mono exclusively. the Stereo version is actually the Instrumental-mono in one channel and the narration in the othe.

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 02 Oct 2013 18:17

Track Listings (from Amazon)
Disc: 1
1. WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT (STEREO VERSION)
2. THE GIFT (STEREO VERSION)
3. LADY GODIVA'S OPERATION (STEREO VERSION)
4. HERE SHE COMES NOW (STEREO VERSION)
5. I HEARD HER CALL MY NAME (STEREO VERSION)
6. SISTER RAY (STEREO VERSION)
7. I HEARD HER CALL MY NAME (STEREO VERSION)(ALTERNATE TAKE)
8. GUESS I'M FALLING IN LOVE (STEREO VERSION)(INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
9. TEMPTATION INSIDE YOUR HEART (STEREO VERSION)(ORIGINAL MIX)
10. STEPHANIE SAYS (STEREO VERSION)(ORIGINAL MIX)
11. HEY MR. RAIN (STEREO VERSION)(VERSION ONE)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
12. HEY MR. RAIN (STEREO VERSION) (VERSION TWO)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
13. BEGINNING TO SEE THE LIGHT (STEREO VERSION)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED EARLY VERSION)
Disc: 2
1. WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT (MONO VERSION)
2. THE GIFT (MONO VERSION)
3. LADY GODIVA'S OPERATION (MONO VERSION)
4. HERE SHE COMES NOW (MONO VERSION)
5. I HEARD HER CALL MY NAME (MONO VERSION)
6. SISTER RAY (MONO VERSION)
7. WHITE LIGHT/WHITE HEAT (MONO VERSION)(MONO SINGLE MIX)
8. HERE SHE COMES NOW (MONO VERSION)(MONO SINGLE MIX)
9. THE GIFT (MONO VERSION)(VOCAL VERSION)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
10. THE GIFT (MONO VERSION)(INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
Disc: 3
1. BOOKER T. (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)
2. I'M NOT A YOUNG MAN (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
3. ANYMORE (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)
4. GUESS I'M FALLING IN LOVE (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)
5. I'M WAITING FOR THE MAN (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
6. RUN RUN RUN (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
7. SISTER RAY (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
8. THE GIFT (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

EDIT: THERE IS AN OBVIOUS MISTAKE ON TRACK 3 ... NO NEED TO SAY MORE, RIGHT? (THANKS TAXINE FOR THE HEADS UP!)

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 02 Oct 2013 21:44

I first heard about this a week ago, it mentioned vinyl too. Can anyone confirm or deny?

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 02 Oct 2013 22:30

gazatthebop wrote:I first heard about this a week ago, it mentioned vinyl too. Can anyone confirm or deny?
gazatthebop, to answer your vinyl question, I've been holding on to these for a few days but I guess it's Ok now. Allegedly a 2LP version.

Last edited by iaredatsun on 02 Oct 2013 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 02 Oct 2013 22:32

alfredovu wrote: 3. ANYMORE (LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967)

EDIT: THERE IS AN OBVIOUS MISTAKE ON TRACK 3 ... NO NEED TO SAY MORE, RIGHT? (THANKS TAXINE FOR THE HEADS UP!)
Alfredo thanks for the track-listing. Great to see it all laid out. Very exciting.

Any guess what track 3 should be?

I'm a bit sad that they left out the mono single mix of IHHCMN - unless that's same version in stereo.
underground, overground

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 02 Oct 2013 23:10

no Gymnasium vinyl then...the box looks like cd?

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 02 Oct 2013 23:17

gazatthebop wrote:no Gymnasium vinyl then...the box looks like cd?
No, the second pic is the standard the 2CD version. The top pic is the LP.

Gymnasium? Well, who knows what's on the second LP, if there is one? And would they release a 2LP with both mono and stereo versions?
Last edited by iaredatsun on 03 Oct 2013 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
underground, overground

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 03 Oct 2013 00:01

Wrote this on another forum but it's just as fitting here :(
Hmm..disappointing. I'd hoped that they'd confirm that Side 2 was a fold-down before now because people spending all that moolah for a half a true mix and half a fake mix seems a rip-off. That space could have been reserved for other non-Universal material such as b**ted stuff like La Cave April '68 (they did Sweet Sister Ray and a killer version of Heroin). And Cale could have opened up the archive but it looks as if he didn't...

I know there's not much in the can for this era but repeating stuff that's already available seems such a waste. Plus the single mixes aren't all great so waste there too. I might plump for the 2LP set as that covers everything I need (I no longer have it on vinyl). The packaging looks great but what a wasted opportunity.
I think my disappointment (rather strongly put there - it was an immediate reaction to the listing) is more that these sorts of things should be used as a 'catch all' opprtunity to get new, unreleased material out there. A treat for real fans who have everything already. This seems to double up stuff we already have - and yes, I include the Gymnasium tape in that too. Spending $100 (or $250 as it will be here) for two genuine, unheard-of studio tracks and maybe 3 or 4 live ones seems rather a lot. The packaging does look great but it should compliment a great set to boot. This seems after all the brilliant work done on it, missing something.

I hope those who don't have everything really enjoy it as I can imagine they would.
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 03 Oct 2013 00:23

Sure, they could have dug a bit deeper into the vaults - but what we have here isn't too shabby at all. Looking forward to hearing the "alternate take" of I Heard Her Call My Name (if indeed it is different from the Sundazed single), the extra Gymnaisum bits, the much-vaunted Cale Beginning..., the new mixes of the Another VU tracks, and of course what they've managed to do to the sound of the thing.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1