WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
dial4
Head held high

Re: WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Post by dial4 » 03 Oct 2013 10:18

This set shuts the door (definitely I think) for another Gymnasium date (cos of the 2 versions of GIFIL) and outtakes from the sessions, upbeat TV shows etc
Remember a lot of blank space on the VU&N 6 CD ; even the Warhol museum CD was incomplete !

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 03 Oct 2013 10:53

Briski wrote:Any thoughts on why Beginning to See the Light wasn't released on VU / Another View? It's a major track and a different version is pretty big news, I'd have thought it would've been pushed front and centre.
A good question. Miss that recording out and then put two very similar versions of Rain to fill the space? The alternative, and I almost hate to raise this point, is that it wasn't thought good or finished enough. But they didn't even put it on Peel and that has some very rough stuff. Maybe they just hadn't found it?
underground, overground

Chris M
On the wild side

Post by Chris M » 03 Oct 2013 11:05

iaredatsun wrote:Maybe they just hadn't found it?
I believe this is the case.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 03 Oct 2013 12:03

Chris M wrote:
peppergomez wrote:Agreed. There is no bottom end at all on WL/WH and the drums sound like cardboard. Love the album but it was very shittily recorded IMO. The demo of GIFIL that appears on Another View has lots of punch, a bottom end, better sounding drums, and a totally different guitar sound. Sure I guess some of that is due to 80s remastering technology but I seriously doubt it is from the WL/WH sessions due to how much different it's sonic footprint is.
I think the reason Guess I'm Falling In Love sounds so much better is because it largely because it wasn't mixed by Lou Reed in 1967. That and the basic track wasn't obscured by distorted organ and fuzz guitar overdubs. While the drums are much louder in the mix on GIFIL if you compare the sound of Moe's toms they match the LP. If we had the WL/WH multitracks I'm sure the basic tracks would sound similar to GIFIL.
Chris, we know that Reed remixed the version of IHHCMN that was released but I don't remember it being said that he mixed the whole LP. Might make sense of the fact that Cale's bass is so far down in the mix, though.
underground, overground

Chris M
On the wild side

Post by Chris M » 03 Oct 2013 14:02

iaredatsun wrote:Chris, we know that Reed remixed the version of IHHCMN that was released but I don't remember it being said that he mixed the whole LP. Might make sense of the fact that Cale's bass is so far down in the mix, though.
I imagine it was Gary Kellgren's hands on the faders but surely Lou was telling him how he wanted to sound. I doubt it was the engineer's idea to mix the drums out of the title track or record the organ that hot on Sister Ray.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 03 Oct 2013 15:59

If I remember right, Gary left the room during Skster Ray, rather than have to endure the whole thing Think I read that in Uptight.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 04 Oct 2013 01:12

Yikes! I had an idea there was some kind of WL/WH action, but still a bit surprised at this! If the remastering is as good as the VU&N set I'll be happy - the extras are gravy. BTSTL will be interesting; glad to have a more sympathetic mix for GIFIL and instrumental Gift; not bothered about Hey Mr Rain - one of my least fave VU tracks.

Universal are taking pre-orders for an early December release - ?54.99 in UK, with a ltd extra item - a redundant white flexi of the live Booker T:

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/rest ... 2537540938

oh - and CD 3 is only 7 tracks, no mysteries:

The blurb kind of acknowlges that the Gym show was bootlegged: "...the official release of their complete show at The Gymnasium in New York recorded on April 30, 1967, which includes five previously unreleased performances culled from John Cale?s personal copy."

DISC THREE: LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967

01. BOOKER T.
02. I'M NOT A YOUNG MAN ANYMORE * Previously unreleased
03. GUESS I'M FALLING IN LOVE
04. I'M WAITING FOR THE MAN Previously unreleased
05. RUN RUN RUN Previously unreleased
06. SISTER RAY Previously unreleased
07. THE GIFT Previously unreleased

also
"Exclusive to this limited Super Deluxe Edition is a 56 page hard bound book with rare photos , memorabilia and David Fricke Essay/interview with John Cale and Lou Reed from 2013."

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 04 Oct 2013 02:14

simonm wrote:Yikes! I had an idea there was some kind of WL/WH action, but still a bit surprised at this! If the remastering is as good as the VU&N set I'll be happy - the extras are gravy. BTSTL will be interesting; glad to have a more sympathetic mix for GIFIL and instrumental Gift; not bothered about Hey Mr Rain - one of my least fave VU tracks.

Universal are taking pre-orders for an early December release - ?54.99 in UK, with a ltd extra item - a redundant white flexi of the live Booker T:

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/rest ... 2537540938

oh - and CD 3 is only 7 tracks, no mysteries:

The blurb kind of acknowlges that the Gym show was bootlegged: "...the official release of their complete show at The Gymnasium in New York recorded on April 30, 1967, which includes five previously unreleased performances culled from John Cale?s personal copy."

DISC THREE: LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967

01. BOOKER T.
02. I'M NOT A YOUNG MAN ANYMORE * Previously unreleased
03. GUESS I'M FALLING IN LOVE
04. I'M WAITING FOR THE MAN Previously unreleased
05. RUN RUN RUN Previously unreleased
06. SISTER RAY Previously unreleased
07. THE GIFT Previously unreleased

also
"Exclusive to this limited Super Deluxe Edition is a 56 page hard bound book with rare photos , memorabilia and David Fricke Essay/interview with John Cale and Lou Reed from 2013."

Dammit...that blows the 'Walk It and Talk It' theory out....as I said earlier, I'll stick to the vinyl re-issue...sorry guys...
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 04 Oct 2013 08:40

jimjim wrote:Dammit...that blows the 'Walk It and Talk It' theory out....as I said earlier, I'll stick to the vinyl re-issue...sorry guys...
Can't even find that link to the 2xLP on Amazon US now. Seems a bit unlikely they'd do that when they didn't with VU&N. Anyone confirm the format of the vinyl?
underground, overground

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 04 Oct 2013 12:28

Preview: White Light/White Heat: Super Deluxe Edition

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2013/10 ... super.html

:wink:

Ps:No vinyl information,sorry Iredatsun.
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....