WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
velvetfan
Head held high

Re: WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Post by velvetfan » 11 Dec 2013 16:10

I pre-ordered the deluxe set direct from Universal at the ridiculous price and it still hasn't arrived! :? UPS came knocking at my door yesterday and I was so excited until I opened the box and it was a shelf I had ordered for my fridge. :roll: "First thing you learn is you always gotta wait..." :roll:

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 12 Dec 2013 00:23

Ok so for us EX-completists, 8-) the WL/WH has:

Deluxe 3CD set with flexi US
Deluxe 3CD set no flexi US
2CD set US
2LP set US

JAP 3SHM-CD
JAP 2SHM-CD

Is that it; or are their also UK/Euro versions also?

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 12 Dec 2013 00:50

Discogs has a Euro Deluxe 3CD set listed: http://www.discogs.com/Velvet-Undergrou ... se/5177410

I think there are 3CD, 2CD and 2LP euro variations of WL/WH too.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 12 Dec 2013 19:18

At last. Arrived at work today:
underground, overground

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 12 Dec 2013 20:24

Here are my second thoughts, after having listened a bit more on better equipment: The Gymnasium show is clearly from a lower generation tape than the boots - less hiss. The stereo album is technically better than the MFSL version but some may still prefer the latter because it sounds rougher, which suits the music. Overall well worth buying.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 13 Dec 2013 03:59

iaredatsun wrote:At last. Arrived at work today:
Still haven't gotten mine, Did you order direct from Universal, and if you did, who actually delivered it to the office? UPS, USPS, Fed Ex? thanks

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 13 Dec 2013 09:42

velvetfan wrote:Still haven't gotten mine, Did you order direct from Universal, and if you did, who actually delivered it to the office? UPS, USPS, Fed Ex? thanks
I'm just lucky. My brother works for UMG.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 13 Dec 2013 09:48

3CD set. The essential material is the stereo remaster, the alt version of IHHCMN and all the non-LP Cale studio tracks. In other words CD1. Great sound. Plus live The Gift is nice. I'm enjoying it.

WLWH album sounds really nice. Improved reproduction since the 2000 and something version.

White Light/White Heat and Here She Comes Now single mixes. Compared with the LP tracks, I think the White Light/White Heat and Here She Comes Now singles versions both sound a bit compromised - maybe the source tapes? And might perhaps explains the dubious sound on the Sundazed singles.

I Heard Her Call My Name alt. mix. To a lesser degree IHHCMN has the same problem as the WLWH single tracks, but sounds much much better than the Sundazed single. This alt. mix of the song is so good it's worth everything here for me. Sterling's guitar at the end is fab. The gem.

Temptation and Stephanie. Same as on 'Gold' but better mastering and sounding great. Personally, I loved the off-key vocals on Stephanie which again points to what 3rd might have been with Cale. Both are beautiful and essential. Pearls.

Guess I'm Fallin' in Love. Is this remix quite right or is it just my hifi? The fuzz guitar far over on the left sounds like it's stuck inside the tweeter like a trapped insect. I love this track and it's a bit annoying that my hifi doesn't seem to get on with the remix. Sounds better on headphones, though.

Mr. Rains. Both these sound great. Vast improvements and at last these recordings make sense. I also prefer No. 2. Two haunting windswept monochrome landscapes with water reeds. Essential.

Beginning To See The Light. A curiosity. Sounds like a quickly recorded live take. And not unlike the post-Cale era live versions in terms of pacing and Lou's vocal. Charming and not at all what I expected.

Overall, very moving to hear these re-addressed versions of the material from the late Cale era.

Booklet. Starts with the usual full page large print quotes to clearly sign the cultural importance of this album - there for those who have impaired cultural radars and reduced visual acuity. The obligatory how to understand the album essay that explains everything to those who might need it. Nice interviews which I think have been put online. Image research great (credit to Alfredo :D ). Reproductions look good. I like the colour Betsy Johnson wedding shots. Like the contact strip for the WLWH publicity shots. Like the garishly coloured posters. I like the one with ousted Nico's name censored by a funny black fish shape.

I like the set. I think I'd only buy the 2LP, if I had the choice. Buy the double LP. Buy the double CD. Buy the 3CD if you're obsessed.
Last edited by iaredatsun on 13 Dec 2013 19:32, edited 8 times in total.
underground, overground

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 13 Dec 2013 12:33

Why the Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat is the one album you should hear this week ? video

Alexis Petridis recommends the Velvet Underground's second album White Light/White Heat. To mark the 45th anniversary of its release in 1968, it has been re-issued in a deluxe edition with extra tracks including demos and live recordings. The album sold few copies on its original release, but its notoriety has grown over time: 'An exercise in screw-you musical violence'
http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/ ... heat-video

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 13 Dec 2013 17:25

jimjim wrote:
simonm wrote:Yikes! I had an idea there was some kind of WL/WH action, but still a bit surprised at this! If the remastering is as good as the VU&N set I'll be happy - the extras are gravy. BTSTL will be interesting; glad to have a more sympathetic mix for GIFIL and instrumental Gift; not bothered about Hey Mr Rain - one of my least fave VU tracks.

Universal are taking pre-orders for an early December release - ?54.99 in UK, with a ltd extra item - a redundant white flexi of the live Booker T:

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/rest ... 2537540938

oh - and CD 3 is only 7 tracks, no mysteries:

The blurb kind of acknowlges that the Gym show was bootlegged: "...the official release of their complete show at The Gymnasium in New York recorded on April 30, 1967, which includes five previously unreleased performances culled from John Cale?s personal copy."

DISC THREE: LIVE AT THE GYMNASIUM, NEW YORK CITY, APRIL 30, 1967

01. BOOKER T.
02. I'M NOT A YOUNG MAN ANYMORE * Previously unreleased
03. GUESS I'M FALLING IN LOVE
04. I'M WAITING FOR THE MAN Previously unreleased
05. RUN RUN RUN Previously unreleased
06. SISTER RAY Previously unreleased
07. THE GIFT Previously unreleased

also
"Exclusive to this limited Super Deluxe Edition is a 56 page hard bound book with rare photos , memorabilia and David Fricke Essay/interview with John Cale and Lou Reed from 2013."

Dammit...that blows the 'Walk It and Talk It' theory out....as I said earlier, I'll stick to the vinyl re-issue...sorry guys...

I finally got my set and the fucking flexi is missing! And now the original link to universal UK is gone. I'm pissed! In effect, I paid over $100 instead of $55 for a flexi that I didn't get! did anybody else get it?