WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
hkmartin
Head held high

Re: WHITE LIGHT / WHITE HEAT DELUXE 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Post by hkmartin » 05 Dec 2013 23:39

For those who are not avoiding spoilers, the full version of Beginning to See the Light is linked in the Rolling Stone article.

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 06 Dec 2013 08:56

I got an email yesterday saying that mine has been posted out to me by Universal

mboy007

Post by mboy007 » 06 Dec 2013 10:03

Revision of my post, above - Amazon now appear to be offering the two disc edition for ?9.99, not the three...

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 06 Dec 2013 18:18

Just got my copy from a guy I know in town. He was charging ?60 but then said "?50 to you" .... then it went to ?48 and then finally settled on ?46. I already spent ???s in there today on the Dylan 6 LP 50th anniversary 1963 box and the Beefheart Safe As Milk mono mix lp.
I'm listening to disc 1 now. Can't play it too loud at home unfortunately but it sounds punchy. Lovely looking set with some great poster art in the book. I'm not really a fan of the gigantic-quotes-in-huge-lettering-to-fill-up-the-space type thing but the posters and the photos are lovely.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

lostblues
Head held high

Post by lostblues » 07 Dec 2013 11:42

just got my 2LP vinyl set...
"Beginning to see the light", now that is impressive!!!!! Never heard this before, gave me the goose bumps....

LFSDoc
Hangin' 'round

Post by LFSDoc » 07 Dec 2013 14:43

lostblues wrote:just got my 2LP vinyl set...
"Beginning to see the light", now that is impressive!!!!! Never heard this before, gave me the goose bumps....
just got mine too, playing side 3 right now. IHHCMN is NOT an alternate take, but a different stereo mix (Sundazed might have collapsed this one to mono for the singles box). Nice to have, sure, but...
Now listening to Stephanie (original 1968 mix), this brought a tear in my eyes :)
doc

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 09 Dec 2013 10:29

Good to read that you are impressed by the sound. I hope to read more comments about the sound of this set.

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 10 Dec 2013 21:00

I've just spent the day listening to this. so here are my first impressions. The best tracks (that make it worth buying it) are the live version of the Gift which is just amazing - a real grungy groove, and Beginning to see the light which is also fantastic and gives you an insight into how the 3rd album might have been had Cale still been there. The extra tracks like Mr Rain, Stephanie says and the Instrumental Guess I'm falling in Love sound MUCH better than versions we have had previously - they sound at last like they were meant to. Guess in particular sounds more aggressive, a world away from the 80s mix of this. IHHCMN isn't an alternate take, and its a similar mix to the Sundazed one. Sister Ray on the live set sounds better than versions we have had so far - manly because you can hear the drones more clearly, and sounds at higher frequencies, especially towards the end, that seem to be missing from the bootleg versions. I am disappointed that the rest of the Gymnasium set doesn't sound better than the best of the bootleg versions (the Dispatches version I think is the best sounding boot of this). In fact Im not a Young Man and Guess Im Falling both have volume issues (dips in volume) that don't seem to be in the boot versions, or in the PSAS version, and its odd that they haven't fixed these for this release. I haven't listened to the mono disc yet, the stereo album itself doesn't sound better than the MFSL version, but I was listening in the car, so will have to have another listen and might revise my view as time goes on. The book itself, nice to have, but disappointing due to its short length - they could have done more interviews, got more new information, especially as Cale and Reed were obviously involved. I cant help wondering why they didn't include another live set, as we know Cale has more. And I don't understand why they cut out all the bits in between songs in the live set - it takes away from the atmosphere. In sum Im very glad to have it, primarily for the Gift which in my opinion is the best VU live instrumental, but unlike the VU and Nico superdeluxe its not worth the money unless you are a VU fanatic like me.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 11 Dec 2013 10:54

nick257 wrote:unlike the VU and Nico superdeluxe its not worth the money unless you are a VU fanatic like me.
Anyone here not a fanatic? Hands up at the back, please?

Nick enjoyed reading your report. I'll take a rain-check on that in-car entertainment system assessment of the actual WLWH album remaster, though. ;)
underground, overground

arjan
I'm Set Free

Post by arjan » 11 Dec 2013 15:58

nick257 wrote:Guess in particular sounds more aggressive, a world away from the 80s mix of this. IHHCMN isn't an alternate take, and its a similar mix to the Sundazed one.
So far, I've only been able to listen to Disc 1 - set came in yesterday after a long day in the office.
  • I really like the instrumental "GIFIL", indeed a vast improvement over the Another View version. Sterling's lead guitar is, rightly, up in the mix and the track sounds pleasantly garage-y. Now I don't mind it having no vocal anymore :D
  • "IHHCMN" indeed an alternate mix, not take, but I like it. Would be the take Sterling preferred and threatened to leave the band over.
  • Strangely enough, in these remix guises, I like version 2 of "Mr Rain" better than version 1 (used to be the other way around) :!: Nice rough edges
  • On "Steph Says", however, I generally like this mix better than VU's, but for one thing - the really off-key "It's all in her mind" backing vocals. Glad they corrected that on VU, even if that sounds sacrilegious.
  • I really like the groove of "BTSTL" but it's a pity Lou's lyrics/vocal sound tentative at points
  • As for the original LP stereo tracks, they sound clearer than ever to me (don't have the gold CD) without being too crisp. After all, we're talking about WL/WH :D Can hear Lou's piano better, Sterling is not as buried as he used to be.
  • The book is somewhat of a disappointment, though. Feels like it was padded out to give it some volume compared to VU&Nico. Strange to see the tape box image of "GIFIL" on the website but not in the book. Apparently, Maureen wasn't available for interview? All her quotes were historical. And as with VU&Nico, a pasted-on track listing on the back again? I feel they could've done better there. (Not to knock anyone, though, I'm glad the set is there.)
Last edited by arjan on 12 Dec 2013 09:55, edited 2 times in total.