schnittstelle
Head held high

LOU REED 1972-10-14 Leicester University audience recording

Post by schnittstelle » 05 May 2014 16:54

LOU REED 1972-10-14 Leicester University audience recording RESEED

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOU REED 1972-10-14 Leicester University audience recording RESEED

2011 RESEED NOTE: these are the same basic audio files that I previously seeded in March 2008. I've fixed the SBEs, updated the info file, and added a pile of contemporary scans and photos to give the show some context.

2014 RESEED NOTE: removed almost all of the scans to avoid copyright problems, text file updated accordingly.

"..uh - tonight is going to be oldie time...."

Leicester University
England
14 October 1972

Disc 1
D101: White Light/White Heat/Lonesome Cowboy Bill 8.53
D102: I'm Waiting For The Man 6.58
D103: Pale Blue Eyes 7.00
D104: I'll Be Your Mirror 2.52
D105: Candy Says 4.04
D106: Sweet Jane 6.59
D107: Heroin 10.10

Disc 2
D201: Berlin 7.01
D202: Who Loves The Sun? 3.17
D203: I Can't Stand It 4.03
D204: Wild Child 6.19
D205: Rock And Roll 6.27
D206: Head Held High 4.17
D207: Sister Ray 11.41
D208: Lisa Says 6.08

Lou Reed: guitar, vocals
Vinnie Laporta: guitar
Eddie Reynolds: guitar
Bobby Resigno: bass
Scottie Clark: drums

lineage: TDK SA90 cassette(s) - Pioneer CT-S670D player - wav - flac (level 8) - you

original recording engineer unknown
transfer to wav March 2008 by lurid_uk
uploaded to Dime March 2008 by lurid_uk
reseeded on Dime January 2011 by lurid_uk
reseeded on Dime May 2104 by lurid_uk

A couple of weeks into their UK tour, ostensibly to promote the as-yet unreleased "Transformer", Lou and the Tots play at Leicester University. The set list has evolved a little since the tour began, but there are still no "Transformer" tunes (listen to Lou's surprise when someone calls out for "Walk On The Wild Side"!) I think that this is one of the best (if not THE best) shows of the 1972 tour - a truly outstanding selection of songs and inspired performances from the whole band. "I'll Be Your Mirror" and "Who Loves The Sun?" make rare appearances, there's an achingly tender solo version of "Candy Says", a nice loose version of "Sister Ray", and I think that this is the earliest known "solo" live rendition of "Lisa Says".

Nigel Trevena wrote an excellent and very evocative review of this show for his pioneering 1973 booklet "Lou Reed and the Velvets". I've included a scan of his review.

This is a reasonable quality 1972 audience recording, but my copy is some distance removed from the original. There's a layer of hiss over everything, but I've left it just the way it came off the cassettes. It could probably be improved somewhat with some noise reduction software. In my opinion, the sheer quality of this performance transcends any sonic limitations of this copy of the recording. (If someone out there has a better copy maybe they could seed it?) The segue between "WL/WH" and "Lonesome Cowboy Bill" was so well executed that I didn't have the heart to separate the tracks out. Nigel Trevena reports that the final encore was "Ocean", but to my knowledge, no tape of that has ever circulated - it may not have been recorded.

artwork included

RIP Lou
Share the music!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at DaD