LOU REED - 1989-06-13 - Mannheim - (uncirculated)

Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
schnittstelle
Head held high

LOU REED - 1989-06-13 - Mannheim - (uncirculated)

Post by schnittstelle » 14 Feb 2015 23:07

LOU REED - 1989-06-13 - Mannheim - Very fine AUD master (uncirculated) from the MILAVALENTI collection #002

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lou Reed
Rosengarten Mozartsaal, Mannheim, Germany
June - 13 - 1989

from MILAVALENTI collection # 002

The MILAVALENTI collection consists mostly of 80's and some 90's and 2000's masters in generally great sound. Most of the concerts
which will be uploaded from this collection are uncirculated. I met the taper who is an old friend of mine recently after more than 20 years.
He was happy to give me his very precious gems to be presented to a wider public. In the 80's I often went to concerts with him and sometimes
both of us were recording.
So some of the recordings which will be uploaded have been uploaded by me before as of my masters collections and some of his recordings
which had been uploaded by me already as first gen copies will now be re-uploaded as master transfers.
The musical style varies from "normal Rock acts" to Wave/Punk and Avantgarde. Also some German Post-Punk acts are included.

Rec. Info:
master aud cassette (TDK MA 110) / cass transfer via Onkyo tapedeck TA-2330 -> Magix Music Cleaning Lab (edit/remaster) -> FLAC -> DIME
VG+/Ex- after some equalizing. Sound level adjusted. Some gaps betwen songs removed. First song cuts in.

This very nice show took place 10 years after Lou's first visit to Mannheim. There used to be a special situation in Mannheim as there was
a big US Army base and so even as Mannheim ia a rather small town compared to other German cities like Hamburg or Berlin many great bands
were playing as there was always a big portion of American soldiers coming to the venues.
So it was also at the show in 1979 and as it is documented on the torrent desription by mg196 of that show:
"A bunch of American soldiers were in the audience screaming, throwing things at the stage, and generally causing a fuss and pissing off Lou.
He stopped the show after CIB, only to come back out about 15 minutes later and play it again, completing the show without any more interruptions.
The soldiers wanted the hard stuff, but Lou was in his softer, Berlin-mode."

Well, it was a bit different at this show here. There is a very nice familiar atmosphere and both Lou and the band are very focused on their music.
I found a very interesting comment on this show in the web. Here is an excerpt of it in English (as the original is in German):

"My favorite Lou Reed Live experience I had in June 1989 in the Mannheim Rosengarten. Lou Reed performed his album New York. What struck me was the totally mixed audience,
leftovers from the 70s with sparse Flusenfrisur (fluffy haircut), Hardcorepunks with Exploited-studded leather jackets that were on the eve of a holdover existence (?),
accountant type guys who knew "Walk on the Wild Side" from the afternoon program of Hessen 3 (a German broadcast station). What united them all was that they seemed to be
completely exaggerated, as if they could not possibly be in the same place on that day, as if they were the invention of an untalented songwriter.
Lou Reed himself was a cool cat, with glasses and mullet (Vokuhila) hairstyle (the Berlin Wall still existed at this time, so far it was ok), who led in a good-humoured
and soverign way through his Song cycle.
The hall was with seating and, you guessed it, in the corridors the usual Flusenhippies practiced their typical "modern dance" to the not at all danceable music.
Well, and then as after the break the encore part with all the popular hits was played, I waddled with a few other brave viewers to the front. And it was the time when the stage of megastars
was not yet protected by barriers or testosterone laden bulls. And so it was that I could enjoy from one meter distance the well tempered and in relaxed manner presented Mega Hits (Sweet Jane, Wild Side).
5 Months later the Berlin Wall fell and since then no Rockstar with mullet dares to go on stage, not even in Mannheim. With the exception of Pur singer Hartmut Engler, of course."

You can find the full German version of the story with a nice photo of "Mullet-Lou" here: http://www.plaste-blog.de/2013/10/30/lo ... 1942-2013/

A copy of the ticket stub is attached. 13.06.1989 was not a Wednesday (Mittwoch) but Tuesday.

***********************************************************************************************************
A re-upload of the Lou Reed show from Mannheim 1979 would be great as it seemed to be a very special show.
***********************************************************************************************************

setlist (124:49 min.)

01 Romeo Had Juliette
02 Halloween Parade
03 Dirty Blvd
04 Endless Cycle
05 There Is No Time
06 Last Great American Whale
07 Beginning Of A Great Adventure
08 Busload Of Faith
09 Xmas In February
10 Strawman
11 Dime Store Mystery
12 I Love You Suzanne
13 A Quarter To Three -> Rock Me Baby
14 Doin' The Things That We Want To
15 Rock and Roll
16 Video Violence
17 The Original Wrapper
18 Sweet Jane
19 Walk On The Wild Side
20 band introduction
21 Vicious
22 Satellite Of Love

line-up:

LOU REED, vocals and guitar
MIKE RATHKE, guitar
ROB WASSERMAN, bass
ROBERT MEDICI, drums

Support the artists, go to their shows (sadly not possible here), buy their albums.
Do not convert to lossy files, unless for personal use. Don't ever sell!

Uploaded to DIME by Stacheleber 2015/02/14
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at DaD