JOHN CALE - 1979-05-? - Winston-Salem - AUD - fantastic show from the collection of MILAVALENTI #100

Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
schnittstelle
Head held high

JOHN CALE - 1979-05-? - Winston-Salem - AUD - fantastic show from the collection of MILAVALENTI #100

Post by schnittstelle » 23 Aug 2017 20:20

Torrent: 599495
Title: JOHN CALE - 1979-05-? - Winston-Salem - AUD - fantastic show from the collection of MILAVALENTI #100
Size: 221.10 MB
Category: Rock
Uploaded by: stacheleber

Info hash: 047b09cf671bed5f101353bc30ecfd787022f9e6

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Cale
Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, USA
May - 1979

from MILAVALENTI collection # 100

Unknown gen aud recording.
Recording equipment: unknown

Rec. Info:
aud cassette / cass transfer via Onkyo tapedeck TA-2330 -> Magix Audio & Music Lab (edit/remaster) -> FLAC -> DIME
G after some equalizing. Sound level adjusted.

I was thinking about what could be the 100th upload from the MILAVALENTI collection. Then I came this tape here. The sound is not really nice (there is a lot of hiss and background hum), it must be quite a high gen tape and also it's certainly not complete. But the show itself is simply great and features some great versions of Captain Hook and Pablo Picasso. Also it seems to be very rare. And then I found the following article and 2 nice photos of the show here: http://www.schmitt-hall-studios.com/ron ... etlist.htm
which convinced me that this is really worth the #100

"The first glimpse of a legend sorta does something to you. There he stood, larger than life itself,
larger than tee vee even, in his surgeon’s greens, tar black hair cropped short and the cut of that
jaw; reminded me of Mr. Spock gone berserk, sans ears of course.
Slamming out "Mercenaries", John’s New Wave Band was a cut above mere competence and provided an
excellent framework from which Cale launched his protests/attacks on form. The band was young and tight.
The guitarist was a bit heavy handed at times but silky smooth. Drummer, keyboard player and chanteuse
all sang excellent harmony and handled their instrumental chores well.
Except for one tune late in the set which was handled by the lovely blond percussionist it was John Cale
in the limelight and he delivered one of the most intense individual performances I have ever witnessed.
The former Velvet Underground bassist switched back and forth between guitar, fretless bass, electric
piano and viola as the composition demanded. John did a bit of crooning, a bit of droning and a bit of
straight ahead rock’n’roll topped off by a rousing encore of the Modern Lover’s "Pablo Piccaso" but sadly
the general apathy displayed by most of the audience failed to bring the mad Welshman back a second time."

Setlist (tape length 36:23 min.):

01 Walkin' The Dog
02 Captain Hook
03 Only Time Will Tell
04 Chorale
05 Sabotage
06 Pablo Picasso

Support the artists, go to their shows, buy their albums.
Do not convert to lossy files, unless for personal use. Don't ever sell!

Likely Band (also from the schmitt-hall site):

John Cale: vocals, guitar, viola, piano, fretless bass
Marc Aaron: guitar
Joe Bidwell: keyboards, background vocals
George Scott": bass, background vocals
Doug Bowne: drums, background vocals
Deerfrance: background vocals

Uploaded to DIME by Stacheleber 2017/08/23
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at DaD