LOU REED @ The Orpheum Theater Boston, MA October 4th 1974 / A Joe Maloney Master Recording @ 16/44.1 / 2018 Transfer

Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
schnittstelle
Head held high

LOU REED @ The Orpheum Theater Boston, MA October 4th 1974 / A Joe Maloney Master Recording @ 16/44.1 / 2018 Transfer

Post by schnittstelle » 17 Feb 2019 01:43

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOU REED
Orpheum Theater
Boston, MA
October 4th 1974
A Joe Maloney Master Recording
Transferred and Presented By Krw_co
NEW 2018 TRANSFER

contrast clause this torrent is different than
because this is a new 24/96 transfer with no cdr in the lineage

contrast clause this torrent is different than
(24/96 version)
because this is the 16/44.1 version for cd burning

LINEAGE AUDIENCE ANALOG MASTER CASSETTE>NAKAMICHI DR-1 (W/MANUAL AZIMUTH ADJUSTMENT)>
CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI HD MODEL #SB1240 WAV (24/96KHZ)>MAGIX AUDIO CLEANING LAB FOR
KRW TRACK MARKS VOLUME ADJUSTMENT AND EDITS>WAV 16/44.1>TRADERS LITTLE HELPER FLAC (LEVEL 8)

THE BAND
LOU REED vocals guitar
DANNY WEISS guitar
MICHAEL FONFARA keyboards
PRAKASH JOHN bass
"MOUSE" JOHNSON drums

SET LIST
1 Tune up
2 Intro Jam
3 Sweet Jane
4 Vicious
5 Sally Can't Dance
6 New York Stars
7 Heroin
(tape flip edit at 00:40:12:11)
8 Waiting For My Man
9 Kill Your Sons
10 Animal Language
11 Hey Jim (Baby Face)
12 Walk On The Wild Side
13 White Light, White Heat
(tape flip edit at 01:14:22:04)
14 Rock & Roll

JOE'S MEMORIES:
This was going to be a busy concert week for me. Tonight it was Lou Reed, tomorrow it will be Rick Wakeman,
down the street at the Boston Music Hall and I still had to work all day before doing that 104 mile drive back to Boston.
But any fan of The Velvet Underground, or Lou Reed's solo work, couldn't miss this show! Lou had a reputation for being "unpredictable",
so this could have been our only chance to see him. But this turned out to be an exceptionally good show! With a set that included songs
from the 1972 album "Transformer" and from the recently released "Sally Can't Dance", as well as a few Velvet Underground classics,
this felt like the "ultimate" Lou Reed concert. "Sweet Jane" started the performance, with it's "Rock 'n' Roll Animal" extended guitar intro
and Lou emerging from behind the amplifiers to an enthusiastic audience ovation. A hard rocking version of "Vicious" was next,
then we heard two songs from the new album, the title track, "Sally Can't Dance" and "N.Y. Stars". Then it was time for one of the great moments in the show.
The lights went down and Lou took center stage, under an amber spotlight, to do one of the Velvet Underground's greatest songs, "Heroin".
The audience was in awe, as Lou acted out a 12 minute odyssey of a junkie tying the cord around his arm, sticking the needle in and feeling that
"It's my wife and it's my life!" rush of gratification. This was an unforgettable moment of true "Rock and Roll theater".
After we all got a chance to catch our breath, we were treated to a totally different version of "Waiting For The Man".
This was another 12 minute "extravaganza", played in a slow, "Blues/Funk/Jazz" style, with time for each member of the band to do some soloing,
including some Stevie Wonder/Billy Preston type synthesizer sounds, from keyboard player Michael Fonfara. Two more new songs, "Kill Your Sons"
and "Animal Language", led into the only selection from Lou's legendary "Berlin" album, "Oh, Jim". Then, it was the song that was Lou's big radio hit,
"Walk On The Wild Side". There was no horn player in the band, so some nice "church organ" keyboard playing substituted for the original sax solos.
And we got to hear the "scandalous" lyrics that we only heard on the album version and not on the "sanitized" radio single version.
Lou also included a few other "explicit" words, too. As the song ended, they immediately fired up the great Velvet Underground classic,
"White Light, White Heat", another "high point" of the show. During the chorus, as Lou sang "White Light!", large white spotlights,
located behind the band, would come on and illuminate the audience. When I saw that for the first time, I aimed my camera and waited for the next flash
and I was lucky enough to get a close shot of Lou, with the light behind him, shining over his right shoulder. Nice! With all the stories that we had heard about Lou,
his grumpiness and sullen demeanor, that didn't show through at this show. During "White Light, White Heat", he was moving around the stage and clapping along with the music,
as guitarist Danny Weiss filled the hall with some dazzling solos. Lou even smiled for a moment and I got a photo of that, too! As the band left the stage,
the crowd was up and clapping for more. The members of the band had changed since the "Rock 'n' Roll Animal" album and tour, but this band was just as great as the old band was.
After that four minute ovation, they proved it one more time, by coming back out to do The Velvet Underground's biggest "hit", "Rock & Roll". The extended ten minute version
of this classic gave each member of the band their chance to do some soloing and let us see just how talented they were individually, as well as together.
Along with Danny on guitar and Michael on keyboards, we got to see bassist Peter Hodgson and drummer "Mouse" Johnson get their moments in the spotlight.
This was one of those shows that I still have on my "top ten" best shows list. But the next 24 hours was going to be challenging, but very worthwhile.
By the time this show ended, it was about 10:45pm. By the time we got back to the car, got on the road and got back home, it would be about 12:30am.
Then, I had to get up and put in a full day of work at the shoe factory (Yes, we used to make shoes in America, back then!), get home at 4:00pm and get
back on the road to Boston by 5:30, to be at the Music Hall for the Rick Wakeman concert at 8:00. Hey, after Jimi, Janis and Jim died, you never knew who wouldn't
be around when you woke up, so I made it my goal to see as many of my favorite performers as I could, whenever and wherever I could and going to back-to-back
shows was a small price to pay and it was worth every minute.

Many Many Thanks To Joe

If you have masters and/or known generation recordings that you need assistance with transferring/archiving,please contact us via PM.

PLEASE DON'T POST THIS ON ANY OTHER TRACKERS.
AND PLEASE DON'T ALTER OR SELL THIS RECORDING.
AS ALWAYS ENJOY CHEERS KRW_CO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at Dad