LOU REED 1995-04-16 Melbourne, Australia - plugged in and solo - Upgrade From The Waz From Oz Archive

Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
schnittstelle
Head held high

LOU REED 1995-04-16 Melbourne, Australia - plugged in and solo - Upgrade From The Waz From Oz Archive

Post by schnittstelle » 20 Mar 2020 11:31

Alternative Nation Festival
Olympic Stadium
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
16th April 1995

Upgrade From The Waz From Oz Archive
One Off Of The Master

01. Sweet Jane
02. Satellite Of Love
03. I Love You, Suzanne (With Donita, Dee & Suzie From L7 on backing vocals)
04. White Light / White Heat
05. I’m Waiting For The Man
06. Walk On The Wild Side
07. Heroin
08. Dirty Blvd

Bonus Track
09. Triple J Radio Sydney April 1995 - Rachel Kerr Interviews Lou Reed

===========

Lou Reed: Vocals & Guitar

===========

Taped By An English Chappie
2020 Remaster By audiowhore
Artwork By Waz From Oz

===========

I brought this cassette from an English guy (the taper) at a Sydney Record Fair a few months after the show.
This was the second time I didn’t see Lou on an Australian tour, the one 10 years earlier because I was overseas & this one.
To be dead set honest I didn’t want to pay festival ticket prices to see Lou play a shortened set in a festival setting nor was I particularly moved to see any other artist on the bill.
Lou certainly was the odd man out. Plus the Sydney venue Eastern Creek was a shithole & turned even more into one with the numerous downpours that day.
The three cities that hosted this festival were plagued by bad weather with Melbourne being far & away the worst.
The Alternative Nation promoters took a bath with this festival, the multiple reasons why are explained in the link at the end.

I’ve no idea why Lou embarked on this Alternative Nation three city tour with artists so different to himself.
Maybe he saw it as a challenge, or he needed the bread… man!
I spoke this week with someone who attended the Sydney Alternative Nation gig & who is a Lou fan.
He said when Lou was announced there wasn’t exactly a great cheer & that as his set went on many of the kiddies drifted away.
Sad that IMHO the most talented & only real legend on the bill wasn’t appreciated.

It’s a shame that Lou unlike Neil Young never indulged in a solo tour at some stage of his career, because after hearing this solo performance he made a decent job of playing his songs without a band.

The bonus track is a phone interview that Lou did with Triple J’s Rachel Kerr just days before jetting into Australia.
Rachel might have been a bit precious, but I don’t think she deserved the cunty attitude from Lou.

This is the last of my Lou Reed Waz From Oz Archives Australian shows that I didn’t tape.
The next 5 Lou shows that will be DIMED sometime down the track are my own recordings.
As always thanks to the taper & audiowhore,

Enjoy,
Waz

===========

For more info on why Australia's Alternative Nation festival went belly up-
https://themusic.com.au/news/20-years-a ... /14-04-15/

Two reports about the Melbourne Alternative Nation festival from The Age newspaper are below-

===========

The Age
17th April 1995
Rock ‘N’ Rain puts bands on the run
Elissa Blake

Rain thrashed down on rock fans at Olympic Park yesterday, drenching more than 25,000 people at Alternative Nation, one of the biggest music festivals Australia has ever seen.
As the thunderstorms burst, Alternative Nation became Alternative Venue, organizers attempted to move the events indoors, from the exposed spaces of Olympic Park to the Glasshouse nearby.
There was just one problem, the Glasshouse can only hold 10,000 fans.
More than 27 millimetres of rain was dumped in the city in the early afternoon where thousands of young people waited to see the biggest line up of international and local bands to hit Melbourne in one day.
Rows of P-plated cars steamed up in car parks as punters waited for the thunderstorms to pass. But the rain never let up.
Teenagers stood wringing the water out of their T-shirts once they got through the gate only to find all the bands on the two main stages had been delayed for up to four hours.
Dozens were treated for hypothermia as the temperature plunged. Most were under- dressed and unprepared for the expected cool change.
Dorothy Bache, corps officer for St John Ambulance Australia said the toilets were full of young people suffering from the cold trying to dry out under hand dryers.
One girl was trying to dry her sopping shirt with a cigarette lighter.
The Salvation Army was called to provide an extra 40 blankets to cope with demand.
No umbrellas were allowed pass security in case anyone tried to use one as a weapon.
The Promoter, Michael Gudinski said the weather had put enormous stress on all the bands
And technical crews involved in the show, which had already been to Brisbane and Sydney.
“It’s rained in all three cities and it’s been pretty difficult, it gives a it a touch of Woodstock though doesn’t it!” he said.
“Everyone is exhausted, but I think people are still having a good time and there haven’t been any dramas with alcohol or fights.”
He said the weather hadn’t caused any safety problems, but the main stage acts were either delayed or moved indoors to the Glasshouse.
Many bands were forced to cut their playing time to accommodate the delays.
At 2.pm, an announcement was made that the headline international acts would be moved to the Glasshouse.
The crowd streamed in that direction. Security tried to hold back wet and frustrated fans when the doors were closed.
But hundreds pushed forward, forcing the gates open and cracking before the crowd was brought under control.
Inside the crowd was going off as Brisbane band Custard took the stage and teenagers surfed over the crowds in the dance area known as the mosh pit.
Brenda Thompson, 14 from Berwick, said she was going “sick: in the mosh pit.
“It’s so excellent, total strangers are holding you up and pushing you forward.”
Many teenagers decided to surf the internet instead of the crowd at a stand full of computers.
Clothing stalls were reporting brisk business. One stall sold more than 200 colourful beanies to freezing punters.
Another gave away dry T-Shirts to shivering fans who had no money. More than $5 plastic raincoats were grabbed, and 50 people headed for head and shoulder massage.
One of the 16 International acts, rocker Lou Reed, fell flat as young fans waited for Faith No More and Nine Inch Nails.

===========

The Age
18th April 1995
Moshing in alternate eye of the storm
Rock
Alternative Nation
Olympic Park, Sunday
Elissa Blake

“Relax, Enjoy and have a great time”
A unison “Blah Blah” went up from the drenched lines of rock fans waiting to be frisked by security guys at Olympic Park.
The pre-recorded voice was drowned out by another burst of hammering rain, but you could just make out “and remember no umbrellas!”
This was the opening scene at Alternative Nation, the biggest gathering of international and local bands to roll into Melbourne in one day.
At 11.30 am the event was looking like a total washout.
After hours of standing in the rain. Another announcement – a shift of venues from the sodden main stages to the Glasshouse.
The doors were stormed for the promise of shelter and entertainment.
Best of the early acts were Supergroove, the Kiwi thrash-funksters who were the first to raise a cloud of steam over the rapidly drying crowd.
Braver hearts were moshing in the eye of the storm as Regurgitator muscled their way through an excellent set,
“Aah youse are all sick,” the front man called out to the dense, wet pack in front of the Triple M stage.
With some respite from the rain the main stage kicked in around 4.00pm, Tool managed a tightly-wound aggressive set, despite the thin crowds and damp spirits.
Ice T provided the only alternate to Alternate Rock with his bad-mouthed and bad-assed cohorts.
The predominately grunge crowd were bemused for the most part until he metamorphosed into the voice of the super-heavy Bodycount.
The gentler sound of the Violent Femmes persuaded the majority of the crowd to bop along to a good portion of their greatest hits.
But it was worth skipping the end of their set to catch L7 in the Glasshouse.
L7, the best of the day in this reviewer’s opinion, could have raised blisters with their raucous renditions of Pretend We’ve Dead and Andre.
By early evening the main stages were in full swing.
Lou Reed cut a lonely figure, just one man, his guitar and an audience who weren’t born when Transformer was released.
Primus picked up the pieces with their brand of quirky funk-rock, but it was the epic Faith No More that finally lit up the expanse of Olympic Park.
Mike Patton snarled and prowled across the stage and even had the crowd swaying to their sly cover of the Commodore’s Easy.
Forty thousand feet then shuffled 10 paces to the right to partake of Nine Inch Nails.
The densely packed orchestrations, shuddering rhythm and Trent Reznor’s theatrical anguish stunned the crowd into immobility for a minute.
NIN’s electronic storms were a sharp contrast were a sharp contrast to the drums ‘n’ guitars line ups of other acts.
Closer was a knee – trembler. The deep waves of the bass passing straight through the crowd.
The only stage show to rival the thunder nature provided, NIN effectively closed the show, although The Tea Party, Ween and Pop Will Eat Itself soldiered on in the Glasshouse.
More variety might have enlivened the bill. Rap and Techno also deserve the alternate tag and would have widened the overall appeal.

=================
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at DaD