Lou Reed Stockholm 02 March 1975 audience recording

Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 18 Feb 2008 00:50

A new torrent has been uploaded to DIME.

Torrent: 183916
Title: Lou Reed Stockholm 02 March 1975 audience recording
Size: 403.62 MB
Category: Rock
Uploaded by: lurid_uk

Info hash: 82c394ddb95800a5c5067922d91f8c6677f8f646

Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(WARNING: poor quality!)

Concerthouse?
Stockholm
02 March 1975

track 01: Sweet Jane 4.53
track 02: Coney Island baby 5.10
track 03: Pale Blue Eyes 5.26
track 04: Waiting For The Man 8.44
track 05: Heroin 7.21
track 06: Berlin 6.07
track 07: (instrumental + announcement 8.00)
track 08: Satellite Of Love 5.19
track 09: Walk On The Wild Side 6.16
track 10: Kicks 6.51
track 11: White Light/White Heat 8.06
track 12: Rock And Roll 7.17

Lou Reed: guitar, vocals
Doug Yule: guitar, keyboards (?)
Marty Fogel: sax
Alan Freedman (?): guitar
Larry Packer: violin
Michael Suchorsky: drums
Bruce Yaw: bass

lineage: TDK SA trade cassette - (Wavepad) - wav - flac (level 8) - you
transfer to wav by lurid_uk February 2008
uploaded to Dime February 2008 by lurid_uk

Here in 2008, it's difficult to imagine that back in early 1975, Lou Reed was still seen by RCA as a "pop star" and a major shifter of units. His UK-based fan club had over 10,000 members! Ok, "Berlin" hadn't quite sold like "Transformer", but I think it still (briefly) hit the top 30 LP chart in the UK. "Rock And Roll Animal" was a huge worldwide seller, "Sally Cant Dance" hit the US Charts, and even "Lou Reed Live" would sell respectable numbers. All that would change shortly with "Metal Machine Music". In fact RCA should have seen the impending crisis right in front of their eyes. No-one goes from being THAT fat to being THAT thin without an ongoing drug intake. And there he was, even blatantly "pretending" to take drugs on stage in venues right across the USA. Outrageous! He was also now living with he/she Rachel - but at least he'd got rid of the iron crosses (they were "flowers" said Lou) in his hair. The January 1975 visit to the studio had not produced the anticipate
d commercial follow-up to "Sally" - it had produced seriously intense work like "Kicks", "Dirt" and rough versions of "Coney Island Baby" and "She's My Best Friend". All these were pronounced "unreleasable" by Lou's manager Dennis Katz (reportedly the subject of "Dirt" even if he didn't realise it....) so the dregs from the Dec 1973 "Rock And Roll Animal" show were exumed and rushed out in March as "Lou Reed Live".

Despite the big sales figures, Lou was still broke and was persuaded (by Katz?) to start yet another world tour. Before this tour was over he would have released "Metal Machine Music" to an unsuspecting public before collapsing mentally and physically in New Zealand and abandoning the remainder of the dates to return home. But that was all several months away, and despite the tour's bad start in Italy (riots, teargas), and at least one cancelled show in Germany, everything now appeared to be going well. The shows were getting good reviews, the new songs were being well received, and he was even slipping in some real rarities not heard recently (New Age, Pale Blue Eyes). Here's an enthusiastic "Special Bulletin", issued to members of the Lou Reed Fan Club in spring 1975:

#####
Dateline Rome
Our headquarters are situated in the plush Ambazziatori Hotel standing directly opposite the American Embassy on the fabulous Via Veneto, centre of Roman night life and made famous in the film La Dolce Vita. In the blazing sunshine the stones of the old city turn the colour of gold, but we haven't time for sight-seeing. Every day is spent at RCA's studios on the outskirts of the city where rehearsals for the tour are underway. His direction authoritative and controlled, Lou quickly gets the band together. Playing guitar onstage for the first time in two years his presence even in the vast empty rehearsal studio is commanding. Sitting in the semi-darkness we watch the new stage act taking shape.Classic songs reiterate themes which have shaped Lou Reed's legend - White Light/White Heat and I'm Waiting For My Man. Then surprises. The delight which will greet Pale Blue Eyes and Berlin as Lou takes us on this trip through time can already be imagined. New Age sounds master
ful, guaranteed to give many a fan a heart-murmur. Then Vicious, Oh Jim, and some songs from his forthcoming album CONEY ISLAND BABY, like mean and dangerous Kicks. Picking up his guitar after a pause for drinks, experimental red lights flash on Lou's dark curly hair as he wisecracks with Doug Yule in silver jacket. It seems almost like old times, yet in many ways this is surely the beginning of a new age, a new chapter in Lou Reed's career and the start of a big, big tour. The city is plastered with huge posters advertising him 'in concerto' and the concert is a sell-out. To the opening chords of Sweet Jane Italian pressmen arrive to stand and stare ...

Later, after a full day of rehearsals, we return to the hotel to change. I have a room on the third floor, four doors from Lou's suite. We dine in a bistro full of mirrors and beautiful people eating pizza at 1 am. Everybody talks about the rehearsals. Wearing a black leather jacket over his red tee shirt Lou looks happy with the way things are going - and the feeling is general. Its going to be a great trip.

This feeling persists during and despite some teething troubles. The concert in Rome is called off at the last minute after a strike by municipal workers and rescheduled for the end of the week. Then, in Milan, a few political extremists manage to wreck the show. Its a disaster for the genuine fans. Their emotion is clearly heard in protests as Lou himself is hurt by one of the missiles thrown during the flare-up. Letters and cables from Italian members condemn 'this cursed minority' as they are called by D. Antinolfi, and it's a sad commentary on the country and the times that this kind of thing should happen, denying the thousands of young Milanese who packed the hall their first opportunity of seeing their idol. And he may not return soon. However, after the violence and disorder of Italy, it's on to a sparkling Zurich, sell-out concerts and an exstatic reception for Lou whose performance goes from strength to strength. Its all together, now, and the tour rocks on!

Mickie
Fan Club President
#####

Here's a contemporary report from the UK press:

#####
In Lou of Strife

Lou Reed's European tour has finally recovered from it's disastrous start. You may remember that Lou and support band String Driven Thing were victims of political activists in Milan and then had similar trouble in Rome. After that, String Driven Thing had more trouble with rowdies while off-duty in Switzerland, and Lou had to cancel one of his five German dates through illness.
Now, however, things are supposed to be going swimmingly, with all venues sold out. At none of the gigs that Lou has played, we hear, has he done less than a two hour set which will come as good news to those fans, who on previous tours, have counted themselves lucky if he's done a second over 50 minutes.
A waxwork Lou, by the way, is now to be found in Madame Toussauds, though it's already out of date. It sports blonde hair and Lou's is now back to black again.

Record & Popswap Mirror
London
08 March 1975
######

Unfortunately this is a pretty poor audience recording - it sounds as if the taper was some distance back from the stage and the recording levels are oddly variable and sometimes very low. It doesn't help that my copy is far removed from the master - there's a layer of hiss over everything. During some of the quieter passages, Lou's voice is almost lost - you may need to listen to this on headphones to get much from it. To cap it all off, there's also some tape damage during "Rock And Roll". Lou played two shows in Stockholm on this date, and I do not know which one this is.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the "instrumental" which follows "Berlin" on my cassette. I doubt if it features Lou in any way! There's an announcement after it, presumably in Swedish. Maybe someone could translate for us?

This show is a request by Velvet. I have other 1975 recordings which I'll be uploading soon.

Distribute widely but do not sell!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use the URL below to download the torrent (you may have to login).

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... 3916&hit=1

Take care!

dimeadozen.org