Lou Reed Amsterdam 30/09/72 on dime

Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
lurid
Head held high

Lou Reed Amsterdam 30/09/72 on dime

Post by lurid » 03 Feb 2009 22:01

the continuing saga of Loopy Lou's 1972 tour....

Lou Reed Amsterdam 30 September 1972 audience recording

"..this is a song about living in the city, called Ride Into The Sun....."

Concertgebouw
Amsterdam
30 September 1972

01: White Light/White Heat 3.44
02: Lonesome Cowboy Bill 4.56
03: I'm Waiting For My Man 5.10
04: Ride Into The Sun 5.04
05: New Age 4.39
06: Walk And Talk It 4.28
07: Sweet Jane (cut) 4.40
08: Going Down 2.49
09: I Cant Stand It 3.51
10: Berlin 5.34
11: Head Held High 2.56
12: Cool It Down (cut) 7.00
13: Wild Child (faded) 3.54

Lou Reed: guitar, vocals
Vinnie Laporta: guitar
Eddie Reynolds: guitar
Bobby Resigno: bass
Scottie Clark: drums

lineage: TDK SA90 cassette - Pioneer CT-S670D player - (WavePad) - wav - flac (level 8) - you

original recording engineer unknown
transfer to wav February 2009 by lurid_uk
uploaded to Dime February 2009 by lurid_uk

I think this was Lou's first "solo" show on the European mainland. He had spent most of August and September recording and mixing the "Transformer" LP and he and the band sound a bit rusty in places here (eg they amost lose their way completely in the middle of "Lonesome Cowboy Bill"). There are no songs from "Transformer" in the set - they didn't start to appear till later in October. I think this is a really nice performance from Lou - his voice is in good condition and he puts a lot of feeling into the vocals. The Tots provide their usual enthusiastic backing.

For these early shows of the 1972 tour, Lou was mincing/tottering around the stage wearing pancake make-up, an embroidered black velvet suit and silver platform shoes. At some point in early October he dumped the velvet suit and reverted to black leather. Contemporary reviews of these shows also often refer to Bobby Resigno's striking white suit and his propensity for trying to take centre-stage.....

This is a reasonable quality stereo recording. It is a bit hissy, but it's quite listenable for an audience tape from 1972. Unfortunately, my copy is incomplete - it doesn't include the encore "Heroin" (if that song was indeed recorded at all).

Artwork + scans of contemporary photos of Lou in his velvet suit included!

share the music!