Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
gordon

Lou Reed Leeds Oct 72 up on dime

Post by gordon » 22 Feb 2009 17:51

Lou Reed Leeds 27 October 1972 audience recording

"..this is a song about the 1920s - it's called Sweet Jane...."

Leeds Polytechnic
27 October 1972

WARNING: this is possibly the WORST quality recording in my entire collection - for completists only!

01: White Light White Heat/Lonesome Cowboy Bill 9.38
02: I'm Waiting For My Man 8.13
03: Pale Blue Eyes 6.30
04: Some Kinda Love 4.38
05: Afterhours 3.43
06: Sweet Jane 5.28
07: Heroin 12.06
08: Walk On The Wild Side 7.43
09: Wild Child (cut) 0.19

Lou Reed: guitar, vocals
Vinnie Laporta: guitar
Eddie Reynolds: guitar
Bobby Resigno: bass
Scottie Clark: drums

lineage: TDK SA90 cassette - Pioneer CT-S670D player - (wavepad) - wav - flac (level 8) - you

original recording engineer unknown
transfer to wav February 2009 by lurid_uk
uploaded to Dime February 2009 by lurid_uk

Lou and the ugly boys from Queens had been touring small college-sized venues in the UK and Europe since late September: "Transformer" had just been (or was just about to be) released, and "Walk On The Wild Side" had crept into the set. Lou had even started introducing each song with a few words, something he would shortly abandon (pretty much forever!). The Leeds audience are very enthusiastic (it's a Friday night!) and are obviously already familiar with most of the songs. Even "Wild Side" seems to be recognised (to the people immediately around the taper anyway), which seems amazing considering how "new" it was.

It sounds to me as if the original recording levels were set much too high throughout this tape - everything is over-modulated. Apart from that, there are some drastic level/balance shifts, especially during tracks 01 and 02. The "quieter" songs are (almost) listenable. My copy was also too slow, so I sped it up by 5%.

The listing of an 85 min tape from this date on the rnranimal website is an error (mine). To the best of my knowledge, this 60 min recording is the only one available.

scans included:

1. "Fallen Knights And Fallen Ladies" Zig Zag Vol 3 No 10, (mid - 1972?)
2. "American Music Scene - Reed Section" by Roy Hollingworth, Melody Maker 24 June 1972
3. "Lou Reed Sees The Future, Darkly" by Mick Rock, Rolling Stone (?) 26 October 1972
4. "After The Underground - Lou Reed Interview", Screen'N'Heard, December 1972

+ a few other cuttings and nice live shots from late 1972

share the music!

The best place to find accurate information about all aspects of Lou Reed's career as a solo artist is www.arrakis.es/~e.miquel/rnranimal/