Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
MJG196
Born to Lose

The Velvet Underground - Etc. [vinyl transfer]

Post by MJG196 » 29 Jul 2009 05:53

http://www.velvetunderground.be/torrent ... php?id=248

The Velvet Underground
Title: The Velvet Underground - etc.

Album Info: This is the first edition, 1979 black vinyl release w/ silkscreened jacket.
Matrix Numbers: Side A: FIRST-1-A FH 14/9 Side B: FIRST-1-B FH 14/9

Lineage: Vinyl -> Technics SL-D3 (new Audio Technica cart) -> Pioneer SX-1050 -> iMic (16-bit) -> .aiff -> Peak4 (for track splits) -> xACT flac conversion (level

Side A:
01 Cycle Annie
02 The Ostrich
03 Sneaky Pete
04 You're Drivin' Me Insane
05 Conversation

Side B:
01 Foggy Notion
02 Inside Your Heart
03 I'm Sticking With You
04 Ferryboat Bill
05 Noise

This goes out to everyone at www.thevelvetforum.tk !!

***I declare this to be the definitive version/transfer of the Etc vinyl***

This vinyl is in pristine condition and I am very proud to offer it in what I believe is the purest form I have ever heard. No edits, no filters, no nothin' other than a direct digital transfer. I gave it a thorough bath in cool water with a drop of dish detergent, and then straight to the turntable. It played through the SX-1050 with the tone controls OFF to keep the signal path as clear as possible. That means that I am trying to keep the sound as free from adjustment as possible.

There are some minor issues inherent in the recording. At the end of Side A, you'll hear the recording slow down just before the needle lifted - that is on the vinyl and NOT my doing. At the very beginning of "Foggy Notion" you can hear a minor speed-adjustment (part of the recording). Additionally, there are some tracks with vinyl pops/clicks IN the recording (remember this is a bootleg compilation, likely made in part from other vinyl sources), specifically on "I'm Sticking With You." Again, this is NOT from my LP - it is in the actual recording. There are a few other things, but I could nit-pick forever, and I ain't about to waste my life doing that!

Overall, this recording is an absolute joy to listen to. The sound is crisp and clear, yet not harsh in the least. Goddamn, listen to that guitar solo in "Foggy Notion!"

The LP-art is actually from the re-release, as evident by the absent "design & silk-screen printing" indicator at the top-left of the jacket's backside.

----------------

From The Velvet Underground Webpage (http://home.aol.com/olandem/bootlp.html):

Sources: 1 : The Beachnuts, 1965 / 2, 3 : The Primitives 45, 1964 / 4 : The Rougnecks, 1965 / 5 : Index flexi, 1966 / 6-9 : rough mix demos, 1969 / 10 : The East Village Other LP, 1966.

Notes: this album offers a nice collection of pre-VU tracks, the 4 demos originaly available on the White Heat EP and a couple of 1966 VU-related recordings. Back cover has extensive liner notes by C. Walker. There are at least three different editions:

1. First edition (1979) has a silk-screened cover. Top-left corner of the back cover reads: "design & silk-screen printing"
2. The first reissue (1981) has an ordinary cover
3. Also exists as blue marble vinyl edition (1990)

----------------

UPLOAD BY MJG196

DO THE OSTRICH, MOTHERFUCKERS!!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music