Deerfrance - percussion, lead vocals
George Scott - bass, vocals

4. Probably 31 December 1979
John Cale - vocals, guitar, bass
Marc Aaron - lead guitar
Joe Bidwell - keyboards
Peter Muny - bass
Bob Medici - drums

My small contribution to the current Cale bonanza on Dime. These tracks are liberated from Doctor Dark, a 1994 bootleg CD that I dug up online. The CD is, on the whole, a pile of crap, mostly consisting of various semi-rare official tracks (Peel version of Fear, Guts LP, Animal Justice EP etc) in dodgy sound quality, nastily spliced together with canned applause. In the midst of all the junk, however, are these four great unreleased tracks from various CBGB shows, all of which I think are interesting/rare enough to be worth sharing here.

Whisper (listed on the CD as 'Dance of the Seven Veils') is the same recording recently shared by gazatthebop as part of the CBGB's 1978-12-31 torrent at http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=332306. In a previous torrent (also uploaded by Gaz) the same track had the date 1978-12-30 attached to it, so I'm listing both here. It runs slightly faster than the other versions, and is in far cleaner quality.

Child's Christmas and Rape are identified by the great Fear Is a Man's Best Friend page as CBGB's, june 16, 1979. I don't have that show, so I'm happy to take the site's word for it unless anyone knows otherwise. Apparently this is the same night that the Sabotage LP was recorded, but these two songs are not included on the LP.

Somebody Should Have Told Her is listed on the CD as 'I Told Her I Was Blind'. However, a different recording of the same song appears on the official Even Cowgirls Get the Blues album as Somebody Should Have Told Her, so I'm assuming that's the correct title. Although this is a different version from the Cowgirls LP, about a minute shorter with different lyrics, it sounds very similar - clearly the same band and almost identical recording quality. Therefore an educated guess might be that it comes from a different set on the same night.

No remastering was attempted other than trimming a bit of the canned applause here and there, taking care not to lose any of the music.

Hope someone enjoys this - anyone have the full 1979-12-31 CBGB show?

at DaD